SDLX or Workbench
Thread poster: potra
United States
Local time: 14:15
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 30, 2008

I am about to purchase Trados and I need to specify whether I want the SDLX or the Workbench package. What is the difference? Is one better than the other for freelancers?

Thanks to you all for any feedback.

Direct link Reply with quote

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:15
Partial member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Bundled software Jun 30, 2008

Now SDL International sells SDLX in bundle with Trados (e.g. Freelance, Professtional or Enterprise package).
Trados includes: Workbench, TagEditor, S-tagger, Workbench for Clipboard, Trados for Word (template) etc.
SDLX includes: SDL project, SDL Edit, SDL Utility, SDL Termbase, SDL Analysis, SDL Exchange, XLIFF etc.
Bundled programs vary with the specific package name.

You need to spend some time to be familiar with Trados and SDLX. I use both since features match with many of my special requirements and/or source file types.
Summary: You may not pay for only Trados in SDL Trados 2006 or SDL Trados 2007 but you may for older packages.

Soonthon L.

Rufat Ahmadov  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:45
English to Azerbaijani
+ ...
More info Jun 30, 2008

Thanks, Soonthon.

Although it was not me asking the question I find this information useful as I was about to post the question myself.

I would appreciate more information on the matter as it all seems rather confusing.

Idoia Echenique  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:15
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The option is for certification... Jun 30, 2008

If you are buying the TGB package, you get both SDLX, Trados Workbench and the whole bundle, as Soonthon explained.

But the package also includes the right to take the 3 level certification exams ONLY IN ONE OF THEM, either Trados Workbench or SDLX, and that is what you are asked to specify when buying.

So, you only have to decide whether you choose to take the Trados certification exams or the SDLX ones.

Cheers, and good luck if you take the exams!

United States
Local time: 14:15
Member (2007)
English to Italian
+ ...
Certification SDLX or Workbench Jun 30, 2008

Thanks to you all,

Idoia just answered my question, but if I get both programs why do I have to choose one certification and what is the difference between the 2 certifications?

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:15
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
good question Jun 30, 2008

... but if I get both programs why do I have to choose one certification ...

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:15
Partial member
+ ...
... Jul 1, 2008

This post might help you:

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX or Workbench

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs