Thread poster: xxxUSER0059
xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 15:50
English to Finnish
+ ...
Jul 3, 2008

Hi,

A recent client wished for their translation to interlace with the source text, on alternate rows in a Word table, like this:

source segment 1
target segment 1
source segment 2
target segment 2
source segment 3
target segment 3

The client would also have supported RTF as well as the Excel workbook format.

As I use SDL Trados, I first translated the entire text in Translator’s Workbench, as usual, and then pasted the target rows into the source document, one at a time. This did work, although it might be impractical in large assignments. I therefore wonder whether it would be possible to automate this.

(If not, I guess I could translate manually, entering the translation on the rows provided, and use WinAlign afterwards.)

Your ideas are welcome.

With regards,

Thor Kottelin

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 14:50
German
+ ...
Easy Jul 3, 2008

If you have the slightest bit of Excel knowledge this is a piece of cake.

I would propose to:

1. make an "index column" by adding a new column next to the existing data and filling it with ascending numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, etc., one for each row)
  2. translate the file (keeping a backup, of course)
  3. copy the original lines from the backup of the prepared file below the translated lines or vice versa
  4. modify the index column for the translated lines to be [previous value] + 0.5. There are several ways to do this, either through a formula that says "=a119+0.5" or similar and that you copy over the cells or by auto-filling the cells - how you do it is up to you.
  5. sort the table by the index column.
  6. remove the index column. Voilà.

HTH,
Benjamin

[Edited at 2008-07-03 12:12]

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant! Jul 3, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

1. make an "index column" by adding a new column next to the existing data and filling it with ascending numbers (1, 2, 3, 4, etc., one for each row)
  2. translate the file (keeping a backup, of course)
  3. copy the original lines from the backup of the prepared file below the translated lines or vice versa
  4. modify the index column for the translated lines to be [previous value] + 0.5. There are several ways to do this, either through a formula that says "=a119+0.5" or similar and that you copy over the cells or by auto-filling the cells - how you do it is up to you.
  5. sort the table by the index column.
  6. remove the index column. Voilà.

[Edited at 2008-07-03 12:12]

This makes perfect sense. Thank you!

FarkasAndras
Local time: 14:50
English to Hungarian
+ ...
even easier Jul 3, 2008

If you're happy with losing formatting (probably even bold letters and sizes etc.) or there is none to begin with :
Just take your uncleaned file, copy to excel, then to notepad and back to word, to make the trados tags and hidden text all turn into regular text. There may be a more elegant way of doing this.

search and replace all the trados tags (they all contain { and } ) with line breaks (^p).

Remove double line breaks if you feel like it (replace^p^p with ^p)

Of course the whole thing will be segmented according to TUs so one would need to make sure during translation that 1 TU=1 sentence.

Edit: oops, you need a table... then just throw it back and forth between word and excel again, skipping notepad this time.

[Edited at 2008-07-03 12:34]

Finland
English to Finnish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, FarkasAndras Jul 4, 2008

Thank you for the alternative solution you offered! I will keep it in mind.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interlace translation with source text, on alternate table rows

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs