Thread poster: Josée Bayeur (X)
Josée Bayeur (X)
Josée Bayeur (X)  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 14:32
English to French
+ ...
Jul 5, 2008

Hello, I have tried several times to pretranslate a doc file with different settings and it never works, it always shows 0 words translated. According to my instructions I should also be able to open this file as doc.ttx in TE but all that is available is an HTML file. Any ideas? I use Trados 8 build 835 and office 2007 on XP.
Thanks

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 22:32
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Re-registering Trados? Jul 5, 2008

If what you are saying is that you cannot see the MS Word file format in the file types list when you open a file in TagEditor, to me it looks like for some reason Trados is not registerd correctly in Window's registry.

From Windows's Explorer, look for a file called Selfregister.bat and double click on it. It is in folder \program files\SDL International\T2007/tt.

This should re-register your Trados installation in the Registry and after it you should see more file typ
... See more
If what you are saying is that you cannot see the MS Word file format in the file types list when you open a file in TagEditor, to me it looks like for some reason Trados is not registerd correctly in Window's registry.

From Windows's Explorer, look for a file called Selfregister.bat and double click on it. It is in folder \program files\SDL International\T2007/tt.

This should re-register your Trados installation in the Registry and after it you should see more file types in TagEditor. I hope this works for you!
Collapse

Josée Bayeur (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I do see files in TE Jul 5, 2008

Thank you for your prompt reply Tomas. I do see files in TE but not doc.ttx which I am told is what I should open following the function"pretranslate" in TW. What I find is a htm.ttx file and it is not pre-translated. The instructions clearly show a doc.ttx in their diagram but it is nowhere to be found. But before this, the pretranslate function didn't translate. So maybe this is the problem, how do I get it to translate? I have registered my software by the way.
Thanks again,

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:02
English to Swedish
Save as bilingual first Jul 6, 2008

Hi,

Try to open the doc file first in TE and save it as a bilingual file. Then translate the bilingual file using TW. This is how I do it and if I remember it right you should now have a pretranslated .ttx file file in your folder.

Hope this helps,
Åsa

Josée Bayeur (X)
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I tried but it didn't work... Jul 6, 2008

Dear Åsa,

Thank you for your suggestion, I tried it and while I could open a doc file in TE and save it as doc.ttx, I couldn't translate it in TW afterwards I suppose because I don't have any TM for that file. The initial file I was trying to access comes with a set of files as part of the certification course and one would suppose that they would work as instructed, not so. Maybe I'll have to log a case...

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 08:02
English to Swedish
TM? Jul 6, 2008

Did they provide you with a TM file?

If you have one make sure you open it in TW before you try to pretranslate your document.

Sometimes the TM is provided as a txt file. If that is the case you have to first create a new TM in TW:
-Select File/New in TW
-Select your source and target language
-Click on Create and use the default settings

Once you have created the new (empty) TM you can import the .txt file:
-Select File/Import
... See more
Did they provide you with a TM file?

If you have one make sure you open it in TW before you try to pretranslate your document.

Sometimes the TM is provided as a txt file. If that is the case you have to first create a new TM in TW:
-Select File/New in TW
-Select your source and target language
-Click on Create and use the default settings

Once you have created the new (empty) TM you can import the .txt file:
-Select File/Import
-Click OK
-Select the .txt file and click on Open

The translation units are now imported into your TM and you should be able to pretranslate your doc.ttx file.
Hope this helps,
Åsa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pretranslate function not working in TW

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »