Mobile menu

Is the freelance version still blocked for network operation of multiple licenses?
Thread poster: KSL Berlin

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:26
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Jul 6, 2008

I am considering upgrading the two SDL Trados 2006 licenses we have to the latest version. However, my hesitation in doing so (and the main reason I haven't until now) is the discovery a few years ago that it was not possible to operate two Trados freelance licenses on the same network. This absolutely infuriated me at the time, and I posted a rather vitriolic note in a public forum (maybe it was ProZ?) which led to a response by a (now former) Trados representative who explained the "logic" behind this limitation and arranged for us to receive an unblocked EXE file. I am concerned that SDL/Trados may not be as accommodating in the next round if this problem still exists.

Does anyone know the status of this? Can multiple freelance licenses operate in the same workgroup on a network?

Don't suggest an upgrade to the LSP version or other silliness. I just want to take advantage of a few filter improvements and some alleged improvements in the handling of Word TTX files so that I can prepare and deliver projects with fewer hassles. I don't do any real translation work with the Trados tools themselves, as I find them too inefficient.


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
It is still the same, as far as I know Jul 7, 2008

Kevin Lossner wrote:


I am considering upgrading the two SDL Trados 2006 licenses we have to the latest version. However, my hesitation in doing so (and the main reason I haven't until now) is the discovery a few years ago that it was not possible to operate two Trados freelance licenses on the same network. This absolutely infuriated me at the time, and I posted a rather vitriolic note in a public forum (maybe it was ProZ?) which led to a response by a (now former) Trados representative who explained the "logic" behind this limitation and arranged for us to receive an unblocked EXE file. I am concerned that SDL/Trados may not be as accommodating in the next round if this problem still exists.

Does anyone know the status of this? Can multiple freelance licenses operate in the same workgroup on a network?

Don't suggest an upgrade to the LSP version or other silliness. I just want to take advantage of a few filter improvements and some alleged improvements in the handling of Word TTX files so that I can prepare and deliver projects with fewer hassles. I don't do any real translation work with the Trados tools themselves, as I find them too inefficient.


Hi, Kevin,

It is still the same, I believe but the limitation applies only when you run both instances at the same time.

That means that, if you only use it occasionally, as you say, both licences should not be in conflict, as you won't be running both of them at the same time very often, I suppose.

Daniel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:26
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Any limitation is unacceptable as I see it Jul 7, 2008

dgmaga wrote:
... if you only use it occasionally, as you say, both licences should not be in conflict, as you won't be running both of them at the same time very often, I suppose.


Although we use the licenses primarily for presegmentation and cleaning (and occasionally reading feedback comments in a TTX file), after the thousands of euros spent on licenses and upgrades I don't consider it appropriate to suffer any limitations. The second license actually started out as an SDLX license, but after the company merger of Trados and SDL, I got spammed so much by their marketing folk to "upgrade" that I finally did, only to discover that both copies couldn't be run simultaneously. This was a serious problem back then, because at the time my partner needed to use Trados enough to become familiar with the workflow.

We also get occasional visits from fellow translators who use nothing but Trados, and having the licenses of these people blocked because someone happens to have another instance active is ridiculous. Atril at least doesn't practice such coercion, and I presume that most of the other tool providers of significance do not.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 08:26
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
my two cents Jul 7, 2008

The information will be flaky, because I am not at my workplace, but it will mirror my experience with Version 8 (in contrast to 7). In version 8 a background service has been introduced (among other things of course) that takes care of licensing control - probably via VPN. All the users of Trados TWB are thus at any given time seen on the web, including their legit (or illegit) licenses. There's no need or use for a lic file anymore, as this daemon knows what it is all about.

Of course this service does not know anything, if the network is not available. However to have a valid license, you need to be on line with the current PC once at least and from that moment on this PC is the official owner of the license, on/line or off/line. When online, you can return the license (i.e. the daemon will pass it on back to the license server) or you can grab it (ditto the other way).

Two licenses are two licenses, so Im 99,99% sure, they will not conflict when used on a networked system at the same time. Were it different, only one (ONE) client could use the software worldwide at a given time.




[Edited at 2008-07-07 09:06]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Here's the official confirmation Jul 7, 2008

Just to confirm, here is the information from the website:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/products/sdltrados2007/

"Only one copy of SDL Trados 2007 Freelance can be run on one network at the same time"



Two licenses are two licenses, so Im 99,99% sure, they will not conflict when used on a networked system at the same time. Were it different, only one (ONE) client could use the software worldwide at a given time.


Yes, but if you have two legal freelancer licences, you are not allowed to run them in the same network.

I think they added this functionality to prevent big companies from buying the freelance version of TRADOS and them sharing TMs with TM server. This way, they force them to boy te professional version.

I have read in this forum that some people found workarounds like setting up each PC in the network to use different workgroups but that probably infringes the licence agreement...

Daniel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:26
English to Polish
Don't think so Jul 7, 2008

dgmaga wrote:

I think they added this functionality to prevent big companies from buying the freelance version of TRADOS and them sharing TMs with TM server. This way, they force them to boy te professional version.


Don't think so. You don't need the fully licensed Freelance version - you can connect to the TM Server using demo version (the appropriate license from TM Server will be automatically used). But you need to purchase the appropriate number of CAL licenses for your TM Server.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:26
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The politics behind the licensing Jul 7, 2008

As it was explained to me in the late-night call from the Trados rep, the decision to prevent two freelance versions from running on the same network was to prevent agencies and large companies from paying less than the full gallon of blood for their licenses.

However, in our situation, I consider the policy to be pure evil and said as much. My second license was purchased as SDLX when SDL and Trados were separate companies. Then the SDL marketing machine bludgeoned my e-mail inbox for months to persuade me to upgrade that license. I did so only to find that it couldn't be used. Wouldn't you be upset by this? For a small home office with two people that does no outsourcing worth mentioning, I think it is asking a bit much to have us invest in anything beyond the freelance version. As dgmaga correctly pointed out, in practical daily use we won't be dealing with "collisions" very often, but after all I've been bled for over the years for upgrade fees (and how little functionality and support has been provided in return), I simply feel that at least we should - theoretically - be able to get "full value" from these two licenses.

Other companies are less inclined to drain our veins over such things... there are certainly no limits on the number of price-equivalent licenses for the common competition.

In any case, thank you dgmaga for providing the link with the licensing info!

BTW, I received an interesting suggestion today for blocking ports as a workaround on this issue. Quite intriguing. I'll have to see if there is some way to run a test.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:26
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
The limitations of the freelance version Jul 7, 2008

As far as I know, ALL the limitations of the freelance versions are there only in order to force translation companies not to buy the freelance version. Take for example the ridiculous limitation of five languages for the freelance version... it is just a hassle (if you really need to have a sixth language you can do it by uninstalling Trados, and reinstalling it with a different set of five languages).

In our case we solved the no concurrent freelance licenses by purchasing a professional one. When I need to use a third computer, on which our second freelance license is installed, I normally just transfer translation memory and files to translate on that computer, then disconnect that computer from the internet, and work on it offline.

Trados (and now SDL), is the only software company I ever heard that prevents people from using perfectly legal copies of their software. A smarter company would have created a professional version that included features that a translation company really needed, and that would not be included in a "freelance" version (think of Photoshop full version as against Photoshop Elements, for example), not features that are there, but that are blocked.

As it is, the freelance version of Trados is very expensive crippleware.

If there was an award for annoying one's own customers, Trados/SDL would be a strong contender.

[Edited at 2008-07-07 20:16]


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Language limitation Jul 8, 2008

As far as I know, ALL the limitations of the freelance versions are there only in order to force translation companies not to buy the freelance version. Take for example the ridiculous limitation of five languages for the freelance version... it is just a hassle (if you really need to have a sixth language you can do it by uninstalling Trados, and reinstalling it with a different set of five languages).


I guess that they have analysed the situation and found out that most of the freelancers work with five languages or less.

They must think that people working with more than five languages must outsource part of the work, which makes them more like agencies than real freelancers.

Just out of curiousity, do you often have to install / uninstall TRADOS often to cover more than five languages?

Daniel


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 08:26
English to Polish
Not only Trados Jul 8, 2008

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

Trados (and now SDL), is the only software company I ever heard that prevents people from using perfectly legal copies of their software.


There are some more examples out there – once you upgrade the InstallShield, you cannot use the older version (the base for the upgrade). This was introduced by one of the owners of the InstallShield (the list is amazingly long, seems that this piece of software has changed the ownership again) – even buying Maintenance contracts will not help in that case.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:26
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
5-language limitation Jul 8, 2008

dgmaga wrote:

They must think that people working with more than five languages must outsource part of the work, which makes them more like agencies than real freelancers.
Just out of curiousity, do you often have to install / uninstall TRADOS often to cover more than five languages?



No, because we have a professional license, although the reason we bought it was mainly to be able to have two people working on trados on the same network at the same time


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is the freelance version still blocked for network operation of multiple licenses?

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs