Mobile menu

Trados installation on desktop and laptop - is this possible?
Thread poster: Natalya Zelikova

Natalya Zelikova  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 09:20
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
Jul 7, 2008

Is it possible to install my Trados both on my home desktop PC and laptop?
I will not be using them simultaneously (at least I can avoid this).

Please share if someone have such experience. I just need to be able to work in Trados when not at home.

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:20
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Yes - the installation is possible Jul 7, 2008

You can deactivate the software on the desktop and activate with the same license on laptop. Than you can deactivate laptop and activate desktop.
However, I would recommend to contact SDL just to be sure you can activate and deactivate without any limit. You could also ask if you get another code for the laptop.

Best regards
Jerzy

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
The one official way Jul 7, 2008

(talking unofficially) is to juggle the license using return/borrow license option in the licensing window. In other words, if you want to switch from A (having the license at the moment) to B, you need to:

a) open the active license window in TWB (Help/License manager/View activated licenses)
b) in the listbox you should see the active license for your version - activate the line
c) click on the return license
d) go to the system B
e) go to the same place, you will be asked for the activation code you have received when purchasing the product
f) the returned license will be transferred to the B system

You need to be online during the critical moments.

My opinion? There's situations where rights of X pit against the rights of Y. In this case the right of the TRADOS SDL Corp for its intellectual property is well taken care of. I just dont know about me, the poor X: every time I have to do this a to f, my nerves are blank.

And this is not (NOT) how it should be.

Regards

Vito

Denis HAY  Identity Verified
English to French
Again... Jul 8, 2008

This question has been asked so many times that I'm loosing count.

And I'm also wondering how people can invest several hundreds of dollars in software without actually reading the licence agreement or even the documentation.

From the Install Guide:

"SDL Trados Freelance users can use the same activation code to activate the same product
on two computers as long as the computers are not on the same network."

No need to return/borrow the licence each time. Login to your your SDL account and generate a second licence for your laptop (if using licence softkey) or simply use your existing activation code. That's it. As long as you don't use both copies at the same time, you're perfectly within the licence agreement limits.

[Edited at 2008-07-08 09:12]

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Again Sep 20, 2008

My Installation Guide for SDL Trados 2007 doesn't contain such sentence and the "Licensing: For SDL Trados 2007 Freelance Users" section only mentions ONE PC.

[Edited at 2008-09-20 08:40]

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Exactly... Sep 20, 2008

Denis HAY wrote:

"SDL Trados Freelance users can use the same activation code to activate the same product
on two computers as long as the computers are not on the same network."

[Edited at 2008-07-08 09:12]

Assuming nothing has changed since I bought my licence, the freelance version should work on two computers at the same time. Just install Trados on your second PC and use the same activation key as on your first PC.

Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Russian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Sep 23, 2008

It worked... Desktop and occasionally laptop.

So I should assume nothing has changed, though there is no such information in manuals.

Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Hi Sep 25, 2008

Glad to hear it's working...
You will find that not only this piece of information has been missing in the manuals.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados installation on desktop and laptop - is this possible?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
LSP.expert
You’re a freelance translator? LSP.expert helps you manage your daily translation jobs. It’s easy, fast and secure.

How about you start tracking translation jobs and sending invoices in minutes? You can also manage your clients and generate reports about your business activities. So you always keep a clear view on your planning, AND you get a free 30 day trial period!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs