Problem editing terms in MultiTerm 7 imported from MT Convert
Thread poster: rthomas

rthomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:58
German to English
Jul 10, 2008

Hi there,

I've come across a problem that I can't seem to resolve through the existing ProZ forums or MultiTerm help.

I've imported a few terms from Excel into my German/English termbase using MultiTerm Convert. The conversion and import seemed to go ok, but I now can't edit the English parts of the entries that I've just added. When I now right-click on the English term and click Edit, the existing English term disappears and an empty box appears next to the field 'English'. If I re-enter the term in the new field and exit Edit mode, I then end up with two English versions of the same term.

It's probably relevant to mention that the English text is blue where I've added a new term via the Word interface or by entering it directly in MultiTerm, but black in the terms that I've imported via MT Convert. I should also mention that I'm able to edit the German text without any problems, regardless of how I created the entry.

I'm sure I've done something daft, but I can't work out what! Any help would be much appreciated...

Thanks,

Richard.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 18:58
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
grasping for straws Jul 10, 2008

... but it could be something as stupid as "english" instead of "English", or "EN" instead of "EN_EN" in some inoccuous index field in Convert.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Converted index fields as descriptive fields? Jul 11, 2008

I'm just guessing, but something similar happened to me in the past, and the reason was that I had left some index field as descriptive field in the conversion process. You might want to redo the conversion and import if possible.

Vito is also right: Multiterm Convert is very picky about names of fields. You might want to double-check that the field names as defined in Excel are exactly the same (with no spaces before, after, same use of case...) than in the Multiterm termbase definition.

rthomas  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:58
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
working again now, but I don't know why! Jul 11, 2008

Thanks Vito, thanks Tomás...

I think the index/descriptive fields were defined correctly in MultiTerm Convert, as far as I can tell.

In the end I deleted the uneditable entries from my termbase (one at a time, though happily there were only twenty or so). I then exported the remaining entries to XML, created a new termbase and re-imported the XML file. When I then MultiTerm Convert-ed the same twenty entries and re-imported them, it worked fine and I can now edit the English terms.

All of which means that I still don't know what I did wrong, but maybe one day I'll understand.

Thanks again for your help.

Richard.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem editing terms in MultiTerm 7 imported from MT Convert

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums