Thread poster: Hilde Granlund

Hilde Granlund  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 18:11
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Jul 11, 2008

I must be missing something basic here.
Trying to create a termbase from a glossary provided by the client, I use WinAlign.
How do I convert the result to an .xlm file that can be imported into Multiterm? The only option I can find is export as .txt - which can be imported into a TM, but that is not what I want to do.

Direct link Reply with quote

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:11
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Yes, it's basic :-) Jul 11, 2008

WinAlign is for creating TMs from legacy material, not terminologies.

What format was the glossary from the customer in? If it is an Excel file or a Word table (which can be pasted into Excel), then the conversion is straightforward. Other formats may require other steps.

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word Jul 11, 2008

This one is a word file.
If you have an explanation for dummies, I'd be happy to see it. Maybe others would too

[Edited at 2008-07-11 10:02]

Tomás Cano Binder, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Paste to Excel, then use Multiterm Convert Jul 11, 2008

Hi there Hilde. Indeed the easiest route is to paste your Word document to Excel, and use Multiterm Convert to convert that to a termbase definition and an XML file with the entries.

For that, your terms in Word should have a table format resulting in a worksheet when you past it to Excel. In Excel, you should have headings for the columns indicating the languages and/or the type of supplementary information you have (source, creator, context....).

Here you can see the steps in a very condensed way, with an example for Greek.

Try and let us know (even by Proz email if it's urgent) if this worked out for you.

[Edited at 2008-07-11 10:29]

Norway
English to Norwegian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Jul 11, 2008

Tomás, you are great.
Exactly the kind of how-to I needed.

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:11
Member (2003)
German to English
+ ...
Adding terms on the fly Jul 11, 2008

The procedure suggested by Tomás is the only reasonable way to convert such term lists for the new versions of MultiTerm. If you are working with MT 5.5 for some reason there are Excel macros available in the online forums which will help you to convert your data to the import format for that version.

If you need/want to add more terms to your MultiTerm termbase while working in Word or TagEditor that is also possible. In Word that usually involves copying the target term, then selecting the source term and using the appropriate keyboard shortcut or menu command. In TagEditor this is done using the context menu or MT toolbar (explained rather well in the Help under "Add terms").

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm help needed

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs