Mobile menu

Level 1 Workbench or SDLX?
Thread poster: Denise Nahigian

Denise Nahigian
United States
Local time: 15:19
Spanish to English
Jul 11, 2008

I purchased SDL Trados 2007 Freelance, then signed up for a group buy for training. I don't know whether I need Level 1 training for SDL Trados Translator's Workbench or SDLX--what do I actually have, and what is the difference?

Help and insight are appreciated!

Direct link Reply with quote

Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:19
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I think Translator's Workbench is the more popular one Jul 11, 2008

I certainly prefer it, and I think it is easier on the eyes when you are working.

Perhaps you would care to go to the website at and download a trial version, in order to try out both before purchasing?

[Edited at 2008-07-11 20:17]

Robert Trzaska  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:19
English to Polish
+ ...
SDLX Jul 12, 2008

I use them both and I definitely prefer SDLX for its STABILITY. That’s my No. 1 reason for working with it. In fact, it is so stable that when a problem occurs, it is almost a cause for celebration. And stability is what I expect from a CAT. In this business we constantly deal with strict deadlines and I hate moments when I have to search help files or the web for deciphering an error code generated by the other tool. However, that often does not help, so the only thing left is to ask others. You are lucky if you have a friend whose hobby is to deal with problems like that. If not, you are completely at the mercy of strangers—on ProZ, for example. Then you wait for someone to respond, biting your nails, tearing your hair out, or praying, while looking at the watch. Not for me, thank you.

Of course, someone will claim, it may be prevented by preparing your files in a proper way (and to learn that, you need a special training). My answer: I do not to prepare my files for SDLX, and preparing files takes time, and time is ... I simply right click the document, select the direction of translation, create a new or select an old Translation Memory, and voila!

And, please, believe me, it is extremely easy. When you see the short Macromedia Flash Player presentation “Translating in SDLX” (SDLX 2007 Tutorial—version 1.5), which is part of the software, you will be equipped enough to handle successfully most of your jobs.

Denise Nahigian
United States
Local time: 15:19
Spanish to English
Which is easier to figure out without training? Jul 14, 2008

Okay, what I'm understanding is that both Workbench and SDLX are part of the software I've purchased. Do you feel that it's possible to figure out SDLX just by puttering around and without purchasing formal training? What about Workbench? Which, do you think, is easier to figure out without formal training?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Level 1 Workbench or SDLX?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs