Marcos Zattar
Germany
Local time: 19:09
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 15, 2008

Hello,

I am having some trouble translating certain MS-Word .htm files in TagEditor.

The files I have to translate have the extension .htm, but have the MS-Word icon. One of my files is called BLANK_Phase.htm and it has a related folder called BLANK_Phase_files, which by its

turn contains 2 relevant files:

• filelist.xml
• image001.gif

The contents of filelist.xml is:

<
... See more
Hello,

I am having some trouble translating certain MS-Word .htm files in TagEditor.

The files I have to translate have the extension .htm, but have the MS-Word icon. One of my files is called BLANK_Phase.htm and it has a related folder called BLANK_Phase_files, which by its

turn contains 2 relevant files:

• filelist.xml
• image001.gif

The contents of filelist.xml is:

After opening BLANK_Phase.htm in TagEditor, I translated it and proceeded to the clean-up phase. Result: the cleaned-up file in the target language seems to be empty when I open it in any

browser (although the translated content is visible when opening it in the Notepad or any other text editor program). I tried 2 methods: "Save Target as..." as well as cleaning the file up

through "Tools -> Clean Up..." in the workbench, both methods produce "empty" .htms.

A colleague of mine had a similar experience in the past and advised me to translate BLANK_Phase.htm in Trados within MS-Word. I did so. But the HTML structure of the resulting file is slightly different than that of the HTM file translated through TagEditor. Moreover, the subfolder containing the image is also different.

Translating using Trados within MS-Word changes the name file from

image001.gif to image002.gif

The contents of filelist.xml is also automatically changed:

Even with this file name change, in the new translated .htm the link to the file image002.gif seems to work correctly, that is, when opening the .htm file the image is shown, just like in the source files.

The resulting .htm file seems to open correctly and showing only the target language.
So, my questions are:

• Is translating .htm files of this kind within MS-Word instead of TagEditor the correct procedure?
• If this is the correct procedure, is it a problem if the .gif file has a different name than the respective source file? (Of course, as long as it is showed correctly in the .htm file)
• If not, what should be done so that the cleaned-up .htm file (originated through a .ttx file produced in TagEditor) shows the target language correctly? Do I need some kind of filter for TagEditor?
• If the translation should be perfomed within MS-Word, is the clean-up still necessary?

I use:

- SDL Trados Translator's Workbench 8.2.0.835 - (Build 835) and
- Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Edition
- MS-Word 2002 (10.6612.6626) SP3

Maybe you had a similar experience concerning this.

I would appreciate any help or hints!

Kind regards,
Marcos
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Translating HTML in Word... not a good idea Jul 15, 2008

Honestly, I would never translate HTML files in Word, because you are not working with the tags and encoding of the original document, but working on MS Word's INTERPRETATION of the tags, and consequently when you save the translated file you end of with MS Word's interpretation of the tags. The resulting HTML file contains different tags than the original, which is a little disaster for the engineers who carefully chose the HTML tags as they are in the source document

The same woul
... See more
Honestly, I would never translate HTML files in Word, because you are not working with the tags and encoding of the original document, but working on MS Word's INTERPRETATION of the tags, and consequently when you save the translated file you end of with MS Word's interpretation of the tags. The resulting HTML file contains different tags than the original, which is a little disaster for the engineers who carefully chose the HTML tags as they are in the source document

The same would happen if you used any non text-based HTML editor (like FrontPage for instance).

Honestly, the only safe solution is to translate the document in TagEditor. As an INI file, you should be able to safely use the HTML4.ini file you can find in Trados' setup directory in C:\Program Files.

When you do the Save as target in TagEditor, the resulting HTML file is exactly the same file as the original, but in your target language.
Collapse

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Error when processing tags during clean-up Jul 18, 2008

Hello Tomás,

I agree with you, I find this pseudo solution of translating it in Word not only risky but fully unelegant.

A colleague of mine just found out the problem: Trados seems to change some of the tag information in the .htm file:

While cleaning the files, the „>” characters were replaced by „>”, which can be interpreted by FireFox (and other browsers), but not by Internet Explorer.

All I had to do is open th
... See more
Hello Tomás,

I agree with you, I find this pseudo solution of translating it in Word not only risky but fully unelegant.

A colleague of mine just found out the problem: Trados seems to change some of the tag information in the .htm file:

While cleaning the files, the „>” characters were replaced by „>”, which can be interpreted by FireFox (and other browsers), but not by Internet Explorer.

All I had to do is open the .htm in Notpad and replace the „>” by „>”, save it and the contents of the file were visible again.

I hope this hint can help to avoid future trouble for other translators.

Best regards,
Marcos
Collapse

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks a lot! Jul 18, 2008

Oh my. Good research and thank you for posting it. It will certainly be useful to other people in the long run. Cheers!

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Small correction Jul 21, 2008

I meant:

"While cleaning the files, some „>” characters were replaced by „>”, which can be interpreted by FireFox (and other browsers), but not by Internet Explorer.

All I had to do is open the .htm in Notpad and replace the occurences of „>” by „>”, save it and the contents of the file were visible again."

Regards,
Marcos

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Html hindrance in Proz foruns Jul 21, 2008

Oh!

The wrong display of character happened again, now I see it was not my mistake, but Proz's. It seems that the Html processor of the messages in this forum also interprets the characters, but in this case this means a drawback. I repeat below by spelling the characters in question:

"While cleaning the files, some „>” characters were replaced by

ampersand g t semicolon

, which can be interpreted by FireFox (and other browsers), but
... See more
Oh!

The wrong display of character happened again, now I see it was not my mistake, but Proz's. It seems that the Html processor of the messages in this forum also interprets the characters, but in this case this means a drawback. I repeat below by spelling the characters in question:

"While cleaning the files, some „>” characters were replaced by

ampersand g t semicolon

, which can be interpreted by FireFox (and other browsers), but not by Internet Explorer.

All I had to do is open the .htm in Notpad and replace the occurences of

ampersand g t semicolon

by „>”, save it and the contents of the file were visible again."

Now it should be clear!

Regards,
Marcos
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Empty .htm files for MS-Word

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »