Partial member
Italian to Romanian
+ ...
Jul 15, 2008

Hello all,

I use: Windows XP
Trados 2007 8.2.0 (Build 835)
Office 2007

I have the eternal font problem, this time a very annoying behaviour: it's been about 2-3 month that this happens. I don’t remember changing anything with Trados settings, I usually check Styles in my document.
When I get a placeable, usually numbers, the number’s font changes into Cambria Math – always this font!
For example if I have 32 ºC, ºC always changes in Cambria Math font; I then select it and try to manually change the font but it does not work, it remains Cambria Math. My workaround is to copy that number from my source segment, which practically makes useless this Placeable function in Trados.
I know this is a Style problem – maybe – but just don’t know how to solve it. I am so angry, that I even thought deleting Cambria Math from my system.
At the moment, I am working in TagEditor and it turns out that the problem persists even here! I know that on my target document I will have those fonts indicated by tags, but visually on the screen, when I’m typing my translation, fonts keep changing and Cambria Math replaces all my Placeable numbers.

Thank you for your input.

Direct link Reply with quote
eng2chi  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:06
English to Chinese
+ ...
i meet similar problems in dealing with Chinese too Jul 15, 2008

i meet similar (not exact) problems in dealing with Chinese too. For some Chinese files containing untidy/multi-level styles (e.g. an Office word/ppt file extracted from an original PDF, or from other automatic conversion tools), the output target files may display weirdly even though you have defined in TM the default target font. I guess it is because the untidy styles (particularly the multi-level font cascading).

My partial solution is to clean the source file first before it is opened by Trados/Tageditor. Particularly I will super-impose the target font to all source contents first. To save the labor-working, I will choose a font that works well for both the source and target, e.g. some unicode fonts.

For your problem, I guess the following steps may help:

1) do not allow automatic substitution for number, date, etc. in TM
2) preprocess the numbers in source files to be with the ideal font you want, or for word files, you can set the default language of the source file to your expected language in target language, and also you can set the default fonts in word.
3) the TM may not so tidy. It may be contaminated by cascaded styles. So try to clean it.
4) set font mapper file, like for framemaker, tageditor.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Font changing when „Getting placeables”

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs