Mobile menu

Problem with XML Files
Thread poster: Jorge22112002
Jul 17, 2008

I have a problem opening some xml files in TagEditor 7.5.

When I try to open them I get an error message:

Tag editor ask me about no DOCTYPE declaration. I choose the xsl.ini file and I get an error message always:

"(35017): an exception occurred! Type:RuntimeException, Message: Could not create a converter for encoding: unicode

File: C:\Document and settings\......\textos_es_2.xml
Line: 1
Column: 42"

Could you help me to solve this problem?

Direct link Reply with quote

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Local time: 02:54
English to Polish
Have you received any INI file? Jul 17, 2008

I would try creating customized INI file first (in case you haven't received the INI file).

David Earl  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:54
Member (2007)
German to English
Probably: Jul 17, 2008

A DocType tag takes the form:

<?xxxxx ?>

where xxxx is the type of file. An example for an XML file would be:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

You might try making a copy and inserting <?xml ?> and a return using a text editor like Notepad, or you could try telling TE to process the file as HTML. If you try the first approach, watch for the square block character, which indicates that the editor can't properly read the file format (such as using an ASCII-only editor to read Unicode files).

NOTE: if you try including the encoding attribute, it _must_ match the file.

Nope, I'm not 100% sure that this will work. It's been a while since I've had this problem, and I'm suggesting what I used to do about it from memory.

[Edited at 2008-07-17 12:27]

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Have your read the manual? Jul 17, 2008

Hi, Jorge,

Sorry to sound as RTFM but in the TRADOS help and manuals you will find very precise information about how to translate XML files and what you need.

Have a look at the help and at the manual and then come back with your questions.

It will be much more efficient for everybody.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with XML Files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs