Trados 2007: No valid license when using remote desktop
Thread poster: ACLserv (X)
ACLserv (X)
ACLserv (X)
Canada
Local time: 19:01
English
Jul 18, 2008

When I use my work pc from home through windows remote desktop, Trados 2007 go into demo mode.

I am not sure if this done deliberately or if it's a defect, I don't have that issue with any other applications.

Is there a way of getting Trados to recognize the license through RDC?

I could probably release the key and install Trados at home but I'd rather not handle work files on my personal computer.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-0
... See more
When I use my work pc from home through windows remote desktop, Trados 2007 go into demo mode.

I am not sure if this done deliberately or if it's a defect, I don't have that issue with any other applications.

Is there a way of getting Trados to recognize the license through RDC?

I could probably release the key and install Trados at home but I'd rather not handle work files on my personal computer.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-19 00:40]
Collapse

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 05:01
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
It is deliberate, I believe Jul 19, 2008

I believe this is a deliberate restriction. However, there is a simple workaround. Use one of the many flavours of VNC - most of them are free. As long as your bandwidth is large enough, say 1 Mbps, you will work just as comfortably. For slow links RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is better though.
I'd suggest TightVNC or UltraVNC. If your link is really slow, you will probably have to try the version with the so called display hook driver (in UltraVNC) or mirror video driver (in TightVNC). I
... See more
I believe this is a deliberate restriction. However, there is a simple workaround. Use one of the many flavours of VNC - most of them are free. As long as your bandwidth is large enough, say 1 Mbps, you will work just as comfortably. For slow links RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) is better though.
I'd suggest TightVNC or UltraVNC. If your link is really slow, you will probably have to try the version with the so called display hook driver (in UltraVNC) or mirror video driver (in TightVNC). If the link speed is big enough, don't bother installing that feature. Since it is implemented via a driver, it has a non-zero probability of breaking something in the system.
Hope this helps.
Collapse

Denis HAY
Denis HAY  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:01
English to French
Teamviewer Jul 19, 2008

Hi Fabrice,

Pretty much like bdb_2, I would suggest using non-MS remote desktop software. I have extensively used VNC, TightVNC and UltraVNC in the past, but I now find TeamViewer (www.teamvierwer.com) much faster, and, most of all, a lot more secure, as you won't need to leave a port constantly open for that.

Leaving open ports is pretty much like letting your door opened, but not lo
... See more
Hi Fabrice,

Pretty much like bdb_2, I would suggest using non-MS remote desktop software. I have extensively used VNC, TightVNC and UltraVNC in the past, but I now find TeamViewer (www.teamvierwer.com) much faster, and, most of all, a lot more secure, as you won't need to leave a port constantly open for that.

Leaving open ports is pretty much like letting your door opened, but not locked. And all versions of VNC and UltraVNC are so widespread that many hacker find ways to bypass your password restrictions and then have full access to your PC. *Properly* securing a VNC solution can be a nightmare, even for the geekiest of us.

With TeamViewer, as you leave no port opened, you are much less prone to attacks (the only way to access your PC would be to first hack TeamViewer's servers). Although not open source, it is freeware, so cost is not an issue to using it.
Collapse

ACLserv (X)
ACLserv (X)
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 21, 2008

Thanks guys! I ended up using VNC.
Security isn't any issue since I have to be connected to the company VPN in order to access my PC.

I would be curious to hear from someone SDL on why Trados can't be used through RDC, I read somewhere that version prior to 2007 didn't have that limitation.

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
Freelance limitation? Jul 22, 2008

I guess that's the limitation for Freelance edition. I have no problems with using Professional installation at my office desktop through VPN/RDC.

ACLserv (X)
ACLserv (X)
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
SDL 2007 Professional Jul 22, 2008

Actually I am using a SDL 2007 Professional. Is yours a 2007 as well?

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
SDL Trados 2007 Professional and RDC... Jul 23, 2008

Hello Fabrice,

SDL Trados 2007 Professional requires a floating license to be used over a remote desktop connection.

I will contact you offline to explain how to set this up.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Wojciech Froelich
Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
That's correct Jul 23, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

SDL Trados 2007 Professional requires a floating license to be used over a remote desktop connection.

Thanks Gareth for your explanation. My license is the floating one.

ACLserv (X)
ACLserv (X)
Canada
English
TOPIC STARTER
Solved! Jul 24, 2008

Problem solved, my Nodelocked key was swapped for a floating license.

Trados works fine with RDC now.

Lise Engbirk
Lise Engbirk  Identity Verified
Denmark
English to Danish
Remote desktop problem... May 30, 2010

Gareth,
Are you still around? I now have the same problem with my Trados 8.0/8.3 translators workbench. Could you please send me instructions to convert to a floating license.
Rgds.
Lise

SDL Support wrote:

Hello Fabrice,

I will contact you offline to explain how to set this up.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Floating license May 30, 2010

Hi Lise,
although I'm not Gareth, perhaps I could add some info: if you use Trados Professional with activation code, you will need to upgrade to floating license first. Then, I believe, you can use the installation support to set you up for remote desktop.

Miro Pollak
Miro Pollak  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
Simple workaround Feb 4, 2011

Hi guys,

there is a simple workaround to this problem.

First, set your computer to automatically log you in upon startup (type "control userpasswords2" in the Run dialog and uncheck the box that requires users to type the password).

Create a shortcut to the desired Trados component you wish to run over the RDP in your Startup folder.

Restart the remote machine by typing "shutdown -r -t 0" in the command prompt.

When the computer re
... See more
Hi guys,

there is a simple workaround to this problem.

First, set your computer to automatically log you in upon startup (type "control userpasswords2" in the Run dialog and uncheck the box that requires users to type the password).

Create a shortcut to the desired Trados component you wish to run over the RDP in your Startup folder.

Restart the remote machine by typing "shutdown -r -t 0" in the command prompt.

When the computer restarts, you will be logged in and the Trados component will be open with your full license. Just remember not to close the Trados application

Hope this helps,
Miro
Collapse

Miro Pollak
Miro Pollak  Identity Verified
Slovakia
English to Slovak
+ ...
Another solution. Mar 3, 2011

An even easier solution is to run your Trados components inside a virtual machine which is installed on a computer to which you connect through RDC. I did not try a direct RDC connection to the virtual machine but I guess it will work too.

Koray Erkan
Koray Erkan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 05:01
English to Turkish
+ ...
Floating License for FL6.5 ? Feb 4, 2016

Hi Gareth (from SDL Community)

I have a Freelancer 6.5 and I too need a floating license (to use it via remote desktop). Could you please describe how I could get one?

Thanks
Koray

SDL_Steve
SDL_Steve  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:01
English to Arabic
Fl;oating License for FL6.5 Feb 4, 2016

Hello Koray,

Do you have an account with us (valid licenses?).
I have checked our systems and do not see any licenses under your name.

Trados 6.5 is a very old version that was retired quite a few years ago and which will NOT run on modern operating systems.
SDL can no longer offer any support for these versions or convert licenses.

KR
SDL_Steve

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 2007: No valid license when using remote desktop

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »