Mobile menu

Comparing translator's and reviewer's analysis?
Thread poster: Sebastijan Pilko
Sebastijan Pilko  Identity Verified
Slovenia
Local time: 17:10
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Jul 21, 2008

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding Trados analysis.

Let's say we have an empty TM and a translator translates the files (either in Word or TagEditor).

These files (along with a TM) are then sent to the reviewer. I get back edited files + changed TM.

I can do file compare (APSIC tool) to check what the reviewer edited.

But.

If I do any analysis of translated files to the TM I would naturally get zeroes for no-99% matches and only 100% matches.

When analyzing the edited files with the original TM made by a translator, I get fuzzy matches.

So far so good.

What I am wondering now is can I get any useful information from this analysis difference?

I know that the fuzzy difference gives some data but I have doubts in these results since fuzzy matches can differ according to the length of the sentence that was edited by a reviewer.

Any suggestions how to make quick and USEFUL analysis with original + edited files?

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Short answer Jul 21, 2008

When analyzing the edited files with the original TM made by a translator, I get fuzzy matches.

No. The analysis always takes ONLY the SOURCE language into account. Thus, the edits shouldn't make any difference in the analyses, provided there is a match (with any kind of content) in both TMs for all sentences.

If you want to see how much was changed, a comparison between the analyses of the cleaned (=translated!) files pre- and post-edit might yield the results you seek. A blank TM and the "Use TM from previous analysis" feature might come in handy here (please refer to the online documentation for more information.)

HTH,
Benjamin

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Proofreading and TRADOS Jul 22, 2008

Thinking of the old saying "when all you got is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

What I mean is: why use TRADOS to see what's been corrected and how it's been changed? There's other tools that are much easier to use and much more to-the-point for this kind of work.

My way of achieving pretty much what's asked for, is to clean my original version and the proofread version and then use Word to compare the two documents ("compare and combine documents..." or something of this sort).

Once the corrections have been approved or rejected, one can use winalign - for instance - to get the bilingual version back. Even simpler: one can convert the two bilingual documents to be compared in a two-column word file (PlusToyz) , keeping the segment assignments through the process of checking the changes.

Lep pozdrav

Vito

[Edited at 2008-07-22 10:01]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Statistics Jul 22, 2008

I was thinking the same thing at first, Vito, but that can't be it. The question must be about statistics, not about examining the corrections individually.

Otherwise I would have made the same suggestion as you, to use the Compare and Merge feature or a dedicated tool.

But maybe Sebastijan can shed some more light on this.

B

[Edited at 2008-07-22 10:22]

Sebastijan Pilko  Identity Verified
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Vito, but ... Jul 22, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

Thinking of the old saying "when all you got is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail."

What I mean is: why use TRADOS to see what's been corrected and how it's been changed? There's other tools that are much easier to use and much more to-the-point for this kind of work.

My way of achieving pretty much what's asked for, is to clean my original version and the proofread version and then use Word to compare the two documents ("compare and combine documents..." or something of this sort).

Once the corrections have been approved or rejected, one can use winalign - for instance - to get the bilingual version back. Even simpler: one can convert the two bilingual documents to be compared in a two-column word file (PlusToyz) , keeping the segment assignments through the process of checking the changes.

Lep pozdrav

Vito

[Edited at 2008-07-22 10:01]

This is of course very true, usually I just use File Comparator by ApSIC (mostly for Tageditor files), but as tectranslate pointed out, my question is more about targeting statistical results from the analysis I get from Trados.

The thing is that I have dozens of projects daily and I need to find a way to make the job easier for our project managers.

Lep pozdrav,
Sebastijan:

@tectranslate: you are right, this is a statistical Q

Kind regards.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Comparing translator's and reviewer's analysis?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs