Mobile menu

designing and pricing a mega-glossary
Thread poster: Anthony Green

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:47
Italian to English
Jul 21, 2008

Hello everyone.

I have been asked by a mechanical engineering manufacturer (with whom I have an excellent long-term relationship) to design and price a mega-glossary - say for 500 components in about 25 languages including Unicode ones such as Japanese, Arabic, Russian and Chinese. The number of non-language fields per component is not huge, (Part Number, Models designed for, Position on the Exploded View per model, and perhaps a few others) though I would also like to leave space for photos, videos etc.

Translators will be given Exploded Views etc., and part lists presumably in Excel/Word columns to translate into their language. Then I need an easy way to integrate the translations into the glossary : presumably by importing columns into an Excel spreadsheet as and when each language becomes available (though Unicode may be a bit of an issue there!). Is there any good recommended reading for that sort of job?

I'm still using Multiterm 5.5 - mainly because I've never really given myself the time to learn to love later versions - but I don't think it's going to be sufficient for my needs. Presumably the latest version of Multiterm would be better than any other applications on the market, or does anyone have experience of alternative (but Trados 7-compatible) terminology management tools they would recommend for such a job?

And I would dearly love to hear of anyone's experience in terms of how to price it, because I would very much prefer to give them a ballpark figure and get that approved before starting...

I'd be grateful for any other insights you might have about a project like this, which makes me feel rather a novice again...

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

designing and pricing a mega-glossary

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs