Thread poster: Gabriele Hase

Gabriele Hase  Identity Verified
South Africa
Local time: 14:23
English to German
+ ...
Jul 21, 2008

Dear colleagues,

I am planning to get a new computer system and read that Vista is not entirely compatible with Trados. What are your experiences and what would you recommend? Should I stay with Windows XP or choose Vista? I have SDL Trados 2007 Freelance. Thank you, Gabriele

Direct link Reply with quote

cisternas  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:23
English to Spanish
+ ...
Vista Jul 21, 2008

Hi Gabriele,

My experience is in the other way round.
I changed my laptop a year ago and I used to work with Trados 6. The new laptop has Windows Vista as OS. (You can move to XP after the warranty expires). I have to move to SDL Trados 2007 in order the computer supports the program.
Until here, no problems at all.

Kind regards, Cristina

[Edited at 2008-07-21 15:30]

Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:23
Partial member
+ ...
Vista vs. Office 2007 Jul 21, 2008

Hi Gabriele,

The problem is not Vista, it was Office 2007 that had some problems with Trados. Since I don't have Office 2007, I don't know if the problems have been fixed. But I can tell you that Vista is fully compatible with Trados 2007.

For the record, I've been using Vista for several months and I quite like it. It's not buggy, unintuitive or slow at all, and I had low expectations. Check out this thread: link.

Good luck,

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
SDL Trados 2007 and Windows Vista are compatible... Jul 21, 2008

Hello Gabriele,

SDL Trados 2007 (including Service Pack 2) is fully compatible with Windows Vista.

We are always working on new updates to keep SDL Trados fully compatible with many Windows and Office updates.

Such as:

Microsoft has released a hotfix to speed up the compatibility between Word 2007 and Translators Workbench 2007 (8.x).

For more information on this hotfix, please refer to the new SDL knowledge base article:

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
As long you can get Windows XP, stick to it Jul 21, 2008

I agree, SDL Trados 2007 is compatible with Vista, but I'm not
I've tried to figure out some few important settings on the laptop of my sister-in-law with Vista home and had to give up...
Settings for wireless LAN are quite well hidden there, while on XP I know well where everything is. Of course it is so, that habits can change, so most probably after using Vista for half a year or so I will find it good, but looking from now I would not change my XP to Vista, if not forced to do so.

Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 15:23
Member (2004)
English to Russian
Microsoft hotfix for MS Word 2007 Jul 21, 2008

Yes, I confirm what the SDL support team says about compatibility.
As to the issue with Word 2007: the hotfix released by Microsoft deals with the problem of somewhat slow handling of segments in rtf format by the Trados TWB when working under Vista. It really is noticeably slower than SDL Trados 2006 under Windows XP, especially with a processor of less than 2.4 GHerz and RAM less than 2 Gb.
Unfortunately I can't tell you how well Microsoft have solved the problem. Using the link kindly provided by the SDL Support in one of the fora, I submitted a request to the Microsoft Support a few days ago. They asked for my email address and promissed to send me the download for the fix by email and I haven't heard from them ever since. It is strange they do not provide a straighforward download from their knowledge base or support site. Very disappointing.
But Vista itself is fine, I love it. It is so much more intuitive than XP and has many new useful functions. I don't want to change back to XP now, after a couple of months of using it. And the wireles LAN system is also more intuitive. I admit it (wireless LAN) is not as easy to set up as XP, but when you learn how to do it, it is not such a big problem. All new things take time to learn.

[Edited at 2008-07-21 18:28]

Vito Smolej
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
My experience with a new computer system Jul 22, 2008

It is the most plain vanilla PC your money can buy in Germany - a Fujitsu Siemens, intel etc. It has Vista preinstalled, a lot of hard disk space etc etc. Please note that I may have two thumbs, but I have been in IT business for decades and my 9-to-5 job is software products and development. Having said that ...

1) I can use TWB and TagEditor etc, I can also use MultiTerm, but all my experience both with TRADOS and with operating systems can't convince the two to work together: the line TWB - MultiTerm is dead, worse, it kills TWB, whenever I try to resurrect it.
2) One would normally sigh on #1, say"oh well" and add XP to the PC (on the old machine with XP everything works). Nogo in my case: I cant install XP as a second OS. Looks like my plain vanilla FSC is a special kind of the plain vanilla flavour. Thank God for connections: as we purchase our PCs bulk in the Augsburg factory. the connections there, together with my colleagues, may be able to get my hardware start to behave.
4) (adding the insult to the injury): Vista does not support my good ol' HP printer

So what's the bottom line?

1) keep the old running system in a running condition
2) set up a LAN and offload translation memories and other stuff to a common network device
3) make a backup
4) make a copy of the backup and put it away in a different room - preferrably a different building -
5) there's three rules for pessimists: 1) You can't win, 2) You can't break even, 3) You can't quit the game. I am exempt from the first two, but realistic enough to respect #3. So, go ahead - what else can one do?

[Edited at 2008-07-22 09:48]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A new computer with Vista or Windows XP for SDL Trados 2007 Freelance

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs