Cleaning up a TM of its multiple translations
Thread poster: Mathieu Jacquet

Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 01:07
English to French
Jul 23, 2008

Hi all,

here is the problem : my client has a TM set up with "multiple translations" enabled.
They worked with a team of freelance translators who frequently decided that, on a given source segment, the previous translation was not good enough, and proceeded to change it.

The result is a TM with multiple target segments for a given source segment, and the "translate to fuzzy" function stops on "what should be" 100% approved segments (actually 99% because of the 1% penalty on multiple translations), then the translator has to choose between 4-5 propositions. A pretty time-consuming task, and moreover the translator is unsure he has selected the right translation (he then has to open an approved document to see which one is ok...it's just an awful process).

My question is : how to clean up a TM of its multiple translations?

Is there any way to export only "multiple translation" TUs? My idea was to do so (if it is feasible), then to choose among multiple translations which is the best, delete the others and reimport in a new TM.

Or is the only solution to create a new TM with "multiple translations" disabled, and to choose among "keep most recent", "overwrite", etc.?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Yours,
Mathieu.

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
You have to bite the bullet Jul 23, 2008

1. Export everything.
2. Create a source file with source segments - I would use PlusToyz to create a double column Word file from txt and then throw away the target column to keep just the source.
3. Pretranslate it
4. Translate with skip to next fuzzy

You end up with a file that has just one-to-one segments. Use it to create a new TM - and make sure multiple translations is NOT checked this time.

I do not think it can be done with less hassle...

My personal opinion: it's the absolute pits. Because it is a lot of work and on top of it I do not think this is the end of it - because the different translations, used by different members of the group, will creep back in. So you need to make sure the people involved agree on this change and cooperate in the process. Get ready for fights (g).

regards

Vito

[Edited at 2008-07-23 10:12]

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 06:07
Member (2004)
English to Thai
+ ...
Filter usage Jul 23, 2008

In all TM, filtering the segments is quite efficient.
You can set good filtering conditions and export parts of that TM into another TM.
For example, filter by time, reviewer, approver, creater, word, duplication etc.

Regards,
Soonthon L.

[Edited at 2008-07-24 02:24]

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Jul 25, 2008

[Modifié le 2008-07-25 07:16]

France
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Filter by duplication? Jul 25, 2008

Thank you Soonthon and Vito.

Soonthon, how do you filter by duplication? I've never heard about such funtionality...

Another possible way: Olifant, by ENLASO. Does anybody know this one?

Thanks folks,
Mathieu.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Cleaning up a TM of its multiple translations

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs