Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
Local time: 14:49
French to English
+ ...
Jul 24, 2008

Hi all

I recently carried out a translation for a client in a new TM, and would now like to import that TM into my larger TM. When I export the file I receive a message saying 'Export successful'.
However, when I then go to look for the file, it is not visible. I have tried exporting in all formats (.txt, .tmx etc.) and the same thing occurs every time.
I cannot find the exported file even without using Trados - for example, I exported it to my desktop but it's not t
... See more
Hi all

I recently carried out a translation for a client in a new TM, and would now like to import that TM into my larger TM. When I export the file I receive a message saying 'Export successful'.
However, when I then go to look for the file, it is not visible. I have tried exporting in all formats (.txt, .tmx etc.) and the same thing occurs every time.
I cannot find the exported file even without using Trados - for example, I exported it to my desktop but it's not there. Yet, when I try exporting the same file to my desktop again it says 'file already exists - overwrite?', so it must be there.

Help!

Thanks in advance.

Patrick
Collapse

Marcos Zattar
Marcos Zattar
Germany
Member (2007)
German to Portuguese
+ ...
Language variety ?? Jul 24, 2008

hello patrick

i had a similar problem in the past. I found out it was due to a language variety problem. in my case, I work with Portuguese and trados distinguised between PT-PT (Portugal) and PT-BR (Brazil). check if your languages (target and source) correspond exactly in both projects/TMs.

regards
marcos

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Doesn't seem to change Jul 24, 2008

Hi Marcos

Thanks for your reply. I've checked and both TMs are FR > GB.

I wonder if there may be some other setting that's different between the two.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
What name are you using? Jul 24, 2008

Patrick Stenson wrote:
I cannot find the exported file even without using Trados - for example, I exported it to my desktop but it's not there. Yet, when I try exporting the same file to my desktop again it says 'file already exists - overwrite?', so it must be there.

Hi, Patrick,

It seems that, for some reason, the files are being hidden when exported.

1) What operating system do you have? Maybe certain file extensions are hidden by default.

2) What file name are you using exactly? Are you using quotes? Are you using any special characters? Try exporting the TM as text using just the name "test.txt" (without quotes).

3) Look in your system to see if there is any option to hide system files or similar. If you are using by any chance a name which makes the file look like a system file (for instance, with an .ini extension), maybe the exported file gets hidden automatically.

That's all that I can think of right now.

Daniel

[Edited at 2008-07-24 21:13]

Ute Specht
Ute Specht  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
1 TM swallows the other Jul 24, 2008

Hello Patrick, I had the same problem a few time ago but I found it out.

Export of TM: Open TM you want to add to your main TM and choose EXCLUSIVE or if you have the Freelance version you can read that TM was opened exclusively. Then click FILE and EXPORT. The EXPORT menu opens. As you want to import the whole TM into you main TM just click OK. Then the CREATE EXPORT FILE window opens. Choose TMX 1.4b (.tmx) meaning that all the formatting of the translations units are exported as
... See more
Hello Patrick, I had the same problem a few time ago but I found it out.

Export of TM: Open TM you want to add to your main TM and choose EXCLUSIVE or if you have the Freelance version you can read that TM was opened exclusively. Then click FILE and EXPORT. The EXPORT menu opens. As you want to import the whole TM into you main TM just click OK. Then the CREATE EXPORT FILE window opens. Choose TMX 1.4b (.tmx) meaning that all the formatting of the translations units are exported as well.
Open your main TM to import TMX files: In the main TM you choose FILE and IMPORT. Then the import window opens. Here choose Large Import File (with reorganisation) and MERGE and ADD TO SETUP. (Don't click CHECK MATCHING SUB-LANGUAGES).
Then click OK. The open Import File window opens and then you choose you client's TM you want to import into your main TM, and click OK. Then you can read in your main TM: 250 TUs successfully imported in 2 seconds, etc.
To find out whether your import was successful you can use the filter. OPEN your main TM and go to FILE and MAINTENANCE. Click FILTER. Then the filter window opens. Now do not click OK, but in the Field List double-click English or click ADD. In the CRITEREON field enter an * asteriks, then the word you can remember occured in English / French / Russian in your client's TM and then again an * asteriks. Then click OK and the TM Maintenance window opens. Click BEGIN SEARCH and now the most recently translated word should ocurr within its sentence in the window.
Important: If you want to check another word in the same language, then close the TM maintenance window and start again with Open and MAINTENANCE. But now and this is very important O V E R W R I T E the word within the asteriks so that you have only one word you look for in your Filter window.

In case of any furhter questions, contact me again.

Good night,

Ute Specht
Collapse

Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)
Soonthon LUPKITARO(Ph.D.)  Identity Verified
Thailand
Local time: 20:49
English to Thai
+ ...
Exported files with missing extensions Jul 25, 2008

Patrick Stenson wrote:

I sometimes got exported files without extension e.g. missing *.txt, *.tmx, *.itd, *.mwf and the like.
I searched for the file and never find since the full name is not shown, just only a file name with unknown format.
To import, I needed to rename the file without extension into its true format (e.g. *.tmx) or I did not see in the importing format at all!

Regards,
Soonthon L.

Strastran (X)
Strastran (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jul 28, 2008

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I solved the problem following Soonthon's instructions - I searched for the file in Windows Search facility, added a '.tmx' extension to it and was then able to import it into my TM.

Thanks again!

Patrick

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Unable to import TM into Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »