Mobile menu

Problems with XML files in TagEditor
Thread poster: akripper
akripper
English
Jul 26, 2008

I have received a job with a XML file and a TM, but I can not open the XML with TRADOS TagEditor without getting this error message:

"This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "strvals". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type"

When I define a Tag setting file, no matter which one, all I get is some empty Tags, that is, without any content. Nevertheless, although this happens in Edit mode, when I change it to Preview mode, I can see all the cotent, not being able to translate it with the TM, of course.

In addition, if I choose Complete Tag Text option, all the Tags appear containing the content to be translated (in grey), so what I thought is that the content is somehow inside the Tag, when it should be outside:

I do not know what to do, perhaps the file is corrupted, or maybe I am using the wrong program.

Thanks

[Edited at 2008-07-26 16:06]

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
Ask your customer Jul 26, 2008

[quote]akripper wrote:

I have received a job with a XML file and a TM, but I can not open the XML with TRADOS TagEditor without getting this error message:

"This document contains the unknown DOCTYPE declaration/root element "strvals". A tag settings file has not yet been defined for this document type"

When I define a Tag setting file, no matter which one, all I get is some empty Tags, that is, without any content. Nevertheless, although this happens in Edit mode, when I change it to Preview mode, I can see all the cotent, not being able to translate it with the TM, of course.

In addition, if I choose Complete Tag Text option, all the Tags appear containing the content to be translated (in grey), so what I thought is that the content is somehow inside the Tag, when it should be outside:

I do not know what to do, perhaps the file is corrupted, or maybe I am using the wrong program.

Thanks

[Edited at 2008-07-26 16:06] [/quot]

If your customer is requesting you to use TRADOS, they should send you a tag settings file, as they should know better than anybody what is translatable and what not.

If they don't have a tag settings file and you have to create it, the reason for your problem is that you are marking translatable text as non-translatable.

You have to know (from seeing the XML file) which content is translatable and which content is not translatable.

Have you had a look at the "TRADOS file format Reference Guide"?

It explains how to prepare XML files.

The problem is that the tags for each XML file are different because they are defined by the creator of the XML file.

That's the reason why you need to look into the XML file to properly create your tag settings file.

You will have the same problem (defining what is to be translated) with any CAT tool..

Without actually seeing the XML file, it is difficult provide more assistance.

Daniel

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:38
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Please consult the "File Format Reference Guide" Jul 26, 2008

There you will find an instruction how to generate your own ini file.
As xml is an open standard, there cannot be a default setting file available.
You need either one from the customer (this is the usual option) or have to generate one yourself. This is very easy and a step by step description can be found in the File Format Reference Guide, a pdf document, which is installed together with SDL Trados.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problems with XML files in TagEditor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs