Mobile menu

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Difference between SDLX and WORKBENCH training for Trados?
Thread poster: Sarah Downing

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to English
+ ...
Jul 29, 2008

Hi folks,

I recently joined in on one of the proz.com TGB group buys for the lastest version of Trados and have now received the confirmation mail that enough people have signed up for me to purchase the product at the discounted rate.

I am supposed to purchase it from the Trados site and the email points out that I will be asked to choose whether I want to opt for the SDLX or WORKBENCH training/exams for Trados:
Also there will be two different options when purchasing the software - options are for SDLX and Translators Workbench. The Software is the same product, the difference in the options allows you to chose which training and certification exams you wish to take, either SDLX or WORKBENCH

I am really rather baffled. If the training/exams are for the same product, why are two different ones offered and how do I know which option to choose?

I'm rather glad that the training is included because I reckon it should come in handy, but I do want to make sure that I choose the right one. Does anyone have any hints or recommendations?

Thank you very much in advance! I'm not sure how much time I have to purchase the product now that the discounted rate has been awarded, so I would be very grateful for any advice asap.

Sarah Downing


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 has two componets: Workbench (Trados) and SDLX Jul 29, 2008

Those two are different programs.
When you buy SDL Trados 2007 you are in fact buyin a software suite, containing both Trados and SDLX.
And there is a big difference in working between those two.
While with Trados you always have two components running - the Workbench for maintaining the Translation Memory and a texteditor for editing -, when you chose SDLX, you will work with just one component. What at a first glance may look easier is in fact the worser solution. When you work with Trados, you have always the acces to your TM and can maintain it without additional work.

Hope this clarifies your doubts a little bit
Best regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Venkatesh Sundaram  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 07:20
Member
German to English
In the same boat as Sarah Jul 29, 2008

Thanks Jerzy.
I'm in the same boat as Sarah since I opted for the TZ group buy and am now faced with a choice about which I didn't have sufficient information. I tried to look up the SDL website but couldn't find any easily distinguishable characteristics between the two (Workbench and SDL certification). Just to understand you a little better, are you saying that the SDLX option is somewhat restrictive while the workbench option is the better one? Thanks again in advance!
Regards,
Venkatesh

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

Those two are different programs.
When you buy SDL Trados 2007 you are in fact buyin a software suite, containing both Trados and SDLX.
And there is a big difference in working between those two.
While with Trados you always have two components running - the Workbench for maintaining the Translation Memory and a texteditor for editing -, when you chose SDLX, you will work with just one component. What at a first glance may look easier is in fact the worser solution. When you work with Trados, you have always the acces to your TM and can maintain it without additional work.

Hope this clarifies your doubts a little bit
Best regards
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Evelyn Leenen-van Dijk  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 02:50
English to Dutch
+ ...
If you have to choose Jul 29, 2008

then I would recommend that you choose Trados Workbench. It's much more used thatn SDLX.

Groetjes,
Evelyn


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SDLX to be phased out? Jul 29, 2008

Thank you for your comments so far.

I've been advised by everyone I've talked to to go for Workbench. I was even told by someone that SDLX is going to be phased out in the near future, which is another reason why learning Workbench would make more sense. Is this true?

I am wondering whether SDL Trados is just offering two training courses for the "transition period", although they merged a few years ago, so I would be surprised if they are still in transition. Then again, presumably there are still users who originally purchased just the SDL CAT tool and who are continuing to use it.


Best,

Sarah


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I do not have exact informations about SDL plans for the future Jul 29, 2008

So I cannot tell, if SDLX will be kept in its current optics. However, the same apllies to Trados Workbench. AFAIK SDL is working on a solution compreheding both Workbench and SDLX engines in one tool, where you should be able to chose the interface you wanna use.
The biggest difference between Trados Workbench and SDLX is the interface you have to work with. The method of working is nearly the same, similar to all other CAT tools. You work with segmented text - the difference is, how your desktop looks like.
I really don't know what has to come in the future. Due to my technical background and long-term usage of Trados Workbench I of course hope the interface will keep as it is, 'cause I don't like the table-looking interface of SDLX. Time will show.
However, if SDL will manage to get Trados Workbench and SDLX in one engine, maintaining the best parts of each of them, a mighty tool could be developed, with a lot of advantages. Let's wait and see...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ... Jul 29, 2008

... again Jerzy. I'm just chatting to a Trados operator as I write and it seems SDLX isn't going to be phased out, so maybe I misunderstood something.

Anyone know if it is worthwhile purchasing the support and maintenance contract? It means extra money, but I am tempted to do it in case I run into problems when I start using the software. Apparently I will be offered this option on finalising my purchase on the website.

Another question: one colleague mentioned that the product is really tough to install - is this true and does it come with easy-to-apply instructions? I'm far from a computer genius, but I did manage to install most of the stuff on my two new computers, so I'm hoping it won't be too problematic.

Purchasing Trados has really meant me finally biting the bullet. I've been putting it off for a long while, as I'm petrified of something going wrong, particularly in view of the time constraints that I usually experience with translations (i.e. extremely short deadlines).

Best,

Sarah


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Some answers Jul 29, 2008

Sarah Downing wrote:
...
Anyone know if it is worthwhile purchasing the support and maintenance contract? It means extra money, but I am tempted to do it in case I run into problems when I start using the software. Apparently I will be offered this option on finalising my purchase on the website.

This is well spend money IMHO.
I do pay 199 Euros per year for my Premium Support and Maintenance Agreement. This includes support (fast and very kind) and free upgrade, if a new version is launched while you have a valid PSMA. So in fact the support costs 199 Euro minus the upgrade price (usually 99 Euros), making this as expensive as less than 10 Euros per month. I do not think it is worth arguing if I need it or not.

Another question: one colleague mentioned that the product is really tough to install - is this true and does it come with easy-to-apply instructions? I'm far from a computer genius, but I did manage to install most of the stuff on my two new computers, so I'm hoping it won't be too problematic.

As far you are using Windows XP and do some preparing steps, the installation should work flawlesly. IMHO the best way would be to deinstall any previous version of Trados/SDLX, then rename all corresponding registry entries and then installing first Office (if not already there), service packs for Office, then Multiterm, then SDL Trados. This worked for me without any problem on all PCs we have here (2 laptops, 2 desktops, all Windows XP SP2).

Purchasing Trados has really meant me finally biting the bullet. I've been putting it off for a long while, as I'm petrified of something going wrong, particularly in view of the time constraints that I usually experience with translations (i.e. extremely short deadlines).

Certainly you should not accept a 20k words job with delivery within 5 working days and start using Trados on it for the first time.
Start using the software on small files, where you can be certain you meet the deadline even if everything goes wrong. Then it will work as it should. As Murphy's law say, the more stressed you are the more likely something goes wrong.
As I see on your homepage, you are located in Bochum, just the neigbour town to me...
This means help is not that far away, if necessary

Best
Jerzy


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your answers ... a few more questions ... Jul 29, 2008

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks again for your comments. I am hoping the Support and Maintenance contract will be as affordable as you say - I just read something on the homepage about it being 20% of the product's full purchase price, which would mean I'd be shelling out about EUR 331 a year - almost as much as I paid for the whole package with the group buy!

Unfortunately, we recently got a new computer and Vista was pre-installed, but please tell me that it'll be OK with Vista too ... I know that the new version is compatible with it. My laptop still has XP on it and I'll also be wanting to install it on that - so one desktop with Vista and one laptop with XP.

Well, I certainly wasn't planning on using Trados for the first time on a huge job. There's mainly one customer who wants me to use it, so I will probably start off by using it on their jobs and then perhaps progress to using it on other jobs should I feel the need. I'm also very interested in the alignment feature, as I have years of files that would ideally need to be aligned, so that the terms are entered in the TM. I'm just concerned that this might take bloody ages.

Thanks for your offer of help. I remember reading that you live in Dortmund.

Just a general question: do you feel that the functionality of Trados surpasses that of other CAT tools, i.e. that it is easier to use? I know that many people use it because it is the leading tool in the industry, but I also hear people complaining that it is difficult to use, which makes me wonder just why it is the industry leader should this be the case. I'm also curious as to how much has changed for the product since the SDL-Trados merger.

Yes, soooo many questions, but I suppose it's good to have an inquisitive mind as a translator;-).

Thanks again and enjoy your evening!

PS: Has anyone actually taken the online training for Trados and did it help? I've heard mixed views on this too and also been advised to attend a "live" course. I guess I'll have to wait till there is one closer to where I live though. I'd also like to go to a course where I actually get to use Trados. I once attended a course for Wordfast and it wasn't even done on computers, which frankly was a waste of time because learning software really should be hands-on.


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Few more answers Jul 29, 2008

Sarah Downing wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks again for your comments. I am hoping the Support and Maintenance contract will be as affordable as you say - I just read something on the homepage about it being 20% of the product's full purchase price, which would mean I'd be shelling out about EUR 331 a year - almost as much as I paid for the whole package with the group buy!

This is something you need to discuss with SDL sales department.

Unfortunately, we recently got a new computer and Vista was pre-installed, but please tell me that it'll be OK with Vista too ... I know that the new version is compatible with it. My laptop still has XP on it and I'll also be wanting to install it on that - so one desktop with Vista and one laptop with XP.

Yes, SDL Trados 2007 will work on Vista.
For the installation purposes: as it is a new PC, I assume it is also a clean install of all software (in fact the best possible case).
Be sure, your OS is installed fully (including Service Pack 1 for Vista), than make sure all hardware drivers are installed properly. Avoid graphic card utilities, which you will not need for your work. For instance ATi graphic card can be installed with a driver only or with a complete Catalyst control suite - which you do not need. And if you install it, it may install some Java or other active components, which might disturb the installation of Trados.
Then install Office and all udates/service packs for it.
When installing Trados, be sure to be logged in as administrator. Do not start installation proceses by double clicking on the corresponding file, but right click the file and select "Run task as administrator". This is however something I only read in the fora and heard - better confirm this again with SDL.
Now install Multiterm, then SDL Trados.
This should work.

Well, I certainly wasn't planning on using Trados for the first time on a huge job. There's mainly one customer who wants me to use it, so I will probably start off by using it on their jobs and then perhaps progress to using it on other jobs should I feel the need. I'm also very interested in the alignment feature, as I have years of files that would ideally need to be aligned, so that the terms are entered in the TM. I'm just concerned that this might take bloody ages.

This depends on the structure of your files. If the structure of file in language A is exactly the same as in language B you will have them aligned very quickly. Once it took me only one hour for 60 pages... Of course it is usefull to have seen how it works before you start.

Just a general question: do you feel that the functionality of Trados surpasses that of other CAT tools, i.e. that it is easier to use? I know that many people use it because it is the leading tool in the industry, but I also hear people complaining that it is difficult to use, which makes me wonder just why it is the industry leader should this be the case. I'm also curious as to how much has changed for the product since the SDL-Trados merger.

I can only compare with SDLX and Transit Satellite.
For both programs I find Trados being the better one. But this is also a personal preferrence.
So if people say SDLX is better to use, then it is so most probably for them.
However, Trados is not difficult to use. But if you just expect to sit in front of the computer and start using it similar to what is possible with Word or OO Writer, you will be dissapointed. While you are able to use Word knowing literally nothing about it, this will not be possible with Trados. Be prepared to have to use some tutorials and read some parts of the manual or online help for the program.

Has anyone actually taken the online training for Trados and did it help? I've heard mixed views on this too and also been advised to attend a "live" course. I guess I'll have to wait till there is one closer to where I live though. I'd also like to go to a course where I actually get to use Trados. I once attended a course for Wordfast and it wasn't even done on computers, which frankly was a waste of time because learning software really should be hands-on.

Also this will depend on personal preferences. Surely an onsite training is better - and it is not that expensive if you ask me. AFAIK SDL offers clasroom-based trainings in Stuttgart for 350 Euros per person. And you can also find trainings here on ProZ.
But online training can also be a good experience.

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:19]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks again ... Jul 29, 2008

This has been so enlightening, Jerzy!
Sarah Downing wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks again for your comments. I am hoping the Support and Maintenance contract will be as affordable as you say - I just read something on the homepage about it being 20% of the product's full purchase price, which would mean I'd be shelling out about EUR 331 a year - almost as much as I paid for the whole package with the group buy!

This is something you need to discuss with SDL sales department.

Yup, that I will!


Unfortunately, we recently got a new computer and Vista was pre-installed, but please tell me that it'll be OK with Vista too ... I know that the new version is compatible with it. My laptop still has XP on it and I'll also be wanting to install it on that - so one desktop with Vista and one laptop with XP.

Yes, SDL Trados 2007 will work on Vista.
For the installation purposes: as it is a new PC, I assume it is also a clean install of all software (in fact the best possible case).
Be sure, your OS is installed fully (including Service Pack 1 for Vista), than make sure all hardware drivers are installed properly. Avoid graphic card utilities, which you will not need for your work. For instance ATi graphic card can be installed with a driver only or with a complete Catalyst control suite - which you do not need. And if you install it, it may install some Java or other active components, which might disturb the installation of Trados.
Then install Office and all udates/service packs for it.
When installing Trados, be sure to be logged in as administrator. Do not start installation proceses by double clicking on the corresponding file, but right click the file and select "Run task as administrator". This is however something I only read in the fora and heard - better confirm this again with SDL.
Now install Multiterm, then SDL Trados.
This should work.

We have Office installed already plus SP1 for Vista. The drivers are usually installed automatically if needed, but I haven't actually manually installed any graphic card utilities, so I'm assuming that they're an optional extra that hasn't been installed. Yup, it is a clean install. The "run as administrator" option does make sense, because Vista has an extra administrator layer - even if you are logged in as an administrator, the programs are by default NOT run as an administrator. This is one of those extra security features of Vista that is part of the User Account Control (UAC). This is supposedly to prevent intruders/malware from just taking control of your computer and, although slightly annoying, I think it is advised not to turn it off. Hence, the reason you have to run lots of programs as an admin.

Well, I certainly wasn't planning on using Trados for the first time on a huge job. There's mainly one customer who wants me to use it, so I will probably start off by using it on their jobs and then perhaps progress to using it on other jobs should I feel the need. I'm also very interested in the alignment feature, as I have years of files that would ideally need to be aligned, so that the terms are entered in the TM. I'm just concerned that this might take bloody ages.

This depends on the structure of your files. If the structure of file in language A is exactly the same as in language B you will have them aligned very quickly. Once it took me only one hour for 60 pages... Of course it is usefull to have seen how it works before you start.

Well, that certainly sounds encouraging - let's hope that I am as lucky!!

Just a general question: do you feel that the functionality of Trados surpasses that of other CAT tools, i.e. that it is easier to use? I know that many people use it because it is the leading tool in the industry, but I also hear people complaining that it is difficult to use, which makes me wonder just why it is the industry leader should this be the case. I'm also curious as to how much has changed for the product since the SDL-Trados merger.

I can only compare with SDLX and Transit Satellite.
For both programs I find Trados being the better one. But this is also a personal preferrence.
So if people say SDLX is better to use, then it is so most probably for them.
However, Trados is not difficult to use. But if you just expect to sit in front of the computer and start using it similar to what is possible with Word or OO Writer, you will be dissapointed. While you are able to use Word knowing literally nothing about it, this will not be possible with Trados. Be prepared to have to use some tutorials and read some parts of the manual or online help for the program.

Yup, I also figured that Trados will not be so intuitive. Luckily, I have at least a little knowledge of it from working online over an agency server. It makes sense that it's all very subjective when it comes to CAT tools. I also have the extra incentive to buy it - which is because one of my main customers is switching over to it.

Has anyone actually taken the online training for Trados and did it help? I've heard mixed views on this too and also been advised to attend a "live" course. I guess I'll have to wait till there is one closer to where I live though. I'd also like to go to a course where I actually get to use Trados. I once attended a course for Wordfast and it wasn't even done on computers, which frankly was a waste of time because learning software really should be hands-on.

Also this will depend on personal preferences. Surely an onsite training is better - and it is not that expensive if you ask me. AFAIK SDL offers clasroom-based trainings in Stuttgart for 350 Euros per person. And you can also find trainings here on ProZ.
But online training can also be a good experience (provided I'm the trainer)

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:12]

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:13] [/quote]

Well, I will definitely do the online training, as it is included in the package, but I'd also be interested in an on-site training. I see some have been offered in Bonn in the past, so hopefully they will be offered again soon!

Thanks so much again - I've learned a lot today!

Best,

Sarah


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:50
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
There is a possibility some will again be offered in Dortmund Jul 29, 2008

Via ProZ - for people with their own laptops and software.
In fact I would like to repeat the Dortmund Conference we held last year in the late Fall or early Winter this year. If I manage to do that, the possibility of onsite courses here is quite big then.

OTOH, if we find enough people to come to Dortmund, a course could be held on short-term basis. If we arrange for a weeked, we could use the facilities of our church community in the city disctrict we live in (Northern Dortmund). The room is big enough to host even up to 10 people, so why not...


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Istiani Prajoko  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:50
Member (2008)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Thank you Sarah & Moderator team Jul 29, 2008

Sarah Downing wrote:

This has been so enlightening, Jerzy!
Sarah Downing wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks again for your comments. I am hoping the Support and Maintenance contract will be as affordable as you say - I just read something on the homepage about it being 20% of the product's full purchase price, which would mean I'd be shelling out about EUR 331 a year - almost as much as I paid for the whole package with the group buy!

This is something you need to discuss with SDL sales department.

Yup, that I will!


Unfortunately, we recently got a new computer and Vista was pre-installed, but please tell me that it'll be OK with Vista too ... I know that the new version is compatible with it. My laptop still has XP on it and I'll also be wanting to install it on that - so one desktop with Vista and one laptop with XP.

Yes, SDL Trados 2007 will work on Vista.
For the installation purposes: as it is a new PC, I assume it is also a clean install of all software (in fact the best possible case).
Be sure, your OS is installed fully (including Service Pack 1 for Vista), than make sure all hardware drivers are installed properly. Avoid graphic card utilities, which you will not need for your work. For instance ATi graphic card can be installed with a driver only or with a complete Catalyst control suite - which you do not need. And if you install it, it may install some Java or other active components, which might disturb the installation of Trados.
Then install Office and all udates/service packs for it.
When installing Trados, be sure to be logged in as administrator. Do not start installation proceses by double clicking on the corresponding file, but right click the file and select "Run task as administrator". This is however something I only read in the fora and heard - better confirm this again with SDL.
Now install Multiterm, then SDL Trados.
This should work.

We have Office installed already plus SP1 for Vista. The drivers are usually installed automatically if needed, but I haven't actually manually installed any graphic card utilities, so I'm assuming that they're an optional extra that hasn't been installed. Yup, it is a clean install. The "run as administrator" option does make sense, because Vista has an extra administrator layer - even if you are logged in as an administrator, the programs are by default NOT run as an administrator. This is one of those extra security features of Vista that is part of the User Account Control (UAC). This is supposedly to prevent intruders/malware from just taking control of your computer and, although slightly annoying, I think it is advised not to turn it off. Hence, the reason you have to run lots of programs as an admin.

Well, I certainly wasn't planning on using Trados for the first time on a huge job. There's mainly one customer who wants me to use it, so I will probably start off by using it on their jobs and then perhaps progress to using it on other jobs should I feel the need. I'm also very interested in the alignment feature, as I have years of files that would ideally need to be aligned, so that the terms are entered in the TM. I'm just concerned that this might take bloody ages.

This depends on the structure of your files. If the structure of file in language A is exactly the same as in language B you will have them aligned very quickly. Once it took me only one hour for 60 pages... Of course it is usefull to have seen how it works before you start.

Well, that certainly sounds encouraging - let's hope that I am as lucky!!

Just a general question: do you feel that the functionality of Trados surpasses that of other CAT tools, i.e. that it is easier to use? I know that many people use it because it is the leading tool in the industry, but I also hear people complaining that it is difficult to use, which makes me wonder just why it is the industry leader should this be the case. I'm also curious as to how much has changed for the product since the SDL-Trados merger.

I can only compare with SDLX and Transit Satellite.
For both programs I find Trados being the better one. But this is also a personal preferrence.
So if people say SDLX is better to use, then it is so most probably for them.
However, Trados is not difficult to use. But if you just expect to sit in front of the computer and start using it similar to what is possible with Word or OO Writer, you will be dissapointed. While you are able to use Word knowing literally nothing about it, this will not be possible with Trados. Be prepared to have to use some tutorials and read some parts of the manual or online help for the program.

Yup, I also figured that Trados will not be so intuitive. Luckily, I have at least a little knowledge of it from working online over an agency server. It makes sense that it's all very subjective when it comes to CAT tools. I also have the extra incentive to buy it - which is because one of my main customers is switching over to it.

Has anyone actually taken the online training for Trados and did it help? I've heard mixed views on this too and also been advised to attend a "live" course. I guess I'll have to wait till there is one closer to where I live though. I'd also like to go to a course where I actually get to use Trados. I once attended a course for Wordfast and it wasn't even done on computers, which frankly was a waste of time because learning software really should be hands-on.

Also this will depend on personal preferences. Surely an onsite training is better - and it is not that expensive if you ask me. AFAIK SDL offers clasroom-based trainings in Stuttgart for 350 Euros per person. And you can also find trainings here on ProZ.
But online training can also be a good experience (provided I'm the trainer)

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:12]

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:13]


Well, I will definitely do the online training, as it is included in the package, but I'd also be interested in an on-site training. I see some have been offered in Bonn in the past, so hopefully they will be offered again soon!

Thanks so much again - I've learned a lot today!

Best,

Sarah [/quote]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Istiani Prajoko  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:50
Member (2008)
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Thank you Sarah & Moderator team Jul 29, 2008

Thank you Sarah for your posting. I have the same questions in my mind, and you already put them in words. Thank you moderator team. Like Sarah, I learn a lot today.

About on-site training, I wonder when we have the chance to have one here in Indonesia.



Sarah Downing wrote:

This has been so enlightening, Jerzy!
Sarah Downing wrote:

Hi Jerzy,

Thanks again for your comments. I am hoping the Support and Maintenance contract will be as affordable as you say - I just read something on the homepage about it being 20% of the product's full purchase price, which would mean I'd be shelling out about EUR 331 a year - almost as much as I paid for the whole package with the group buy!

This is something you need to discuss with SDL sales department.

Yup, that I will!


Unfortunately, we recently got a new computer and Vista was pre-installed, but please tell me that it'll be OK with Vista too ... I know that the new version is compatible with it. My laptop still has XP on it and I'll also be wanting to install it on that - so one desktop with Vista and one laptop with XP.

Yes, SDL Trados 2007 will work on Vista.
For the installation purposes: as it is a new PC, I assume it is also a clean install of all software (in fact the best possible case).
Be sure, your OS is installed fully (including Service Pack 1 for Vista), than make sure all hardware drivers are installed properly. Avoid graphic card utilities, which you will not need for your work. For instance ATi graphic card can be installed with a driver only or with a complete Catalyst control suite - which you do not need. And if you install it, it may install some Java or other active components, which might disturb the installation of Trados.
Then install Office and all udates/service packs for it.
When installing Trados, be sure to be logged in as administrator. Do not start installation proceses by double clicking on the corresponding file, but right click the file and select "Run task as administrator". This is however something I only read in the fora and heard - better confirm this again with SDL.
Now install Multiterm, then SDL Trados.
This should work.

We have Office installed already plus SP1 for Vista. The drivers are usually installed automatically if needed, but I haven't actually manually installed any graphic card utilities, so I'm assuming that they're an optional extra that hasn't been installed. Yup, it is a clean install. The "run as administrator" option does make sense, because Vista has an extra administrator layer - even if you are logged in as an administrator, the programs are by default NOT run as an administrator. This is one of those extra security features of Vista that is part of the User Account Control (UAC). This is supposedly to prevent intruders/malware from just taking control of your computer and, although slightly annoying, I think it is advised not to turn it off. Hence, the reason you have to run lots of programs as an admin.

Well, I certainly wasn't planning on using Trados for the first time on a huge job. There's mainly one customer who wants me to use it, so I will probably start off by using it on their jobs and then perhaps progress to using it on other jobs should I feel the need. I'm also very interested in the alignment feature, as I have years of files that would ideally need to be aligned, so that the terms are entered in the TM. I'm just concerned that this might take bloody ages.

This depends on the structure of your files. If the structure of file in language A is exactly the same as in language B you will have them aligned very quickly. Once it took me only one hour for 60 pages... Of course it is usefull to have seen how it works before you start.

Well, that certainly sounds encouraging - let's hope that I am as lucky!!

Just a general question: do you feel that the functionality of Trados surpasses that of other CAT tools, i.e. that it is easier to use? I know that many people use it because it is the leading tool in the industry, but I also hear people complaining that it is difficult to use, which makes me wonder just why it is the industry leader should this be the case. I'm also curious as to how much has changed for the product since the SDL-Trados merger.

I can only compare with SDLX and Transit Satellite.
For both programs I find Trados being the better one. But this is also a personal preferrence.
So if people say SDLX is better to use, then it is so most probably for them.
However, Trados is not difficult to use. But if you just expect to sit in front of the computer and start using it similar to what is possible with Word or OO Writer, you will be dissapointed. While you are able to use Word knowing literally nothing about it, this will not be possible with Trados. Be prepared to have to use some tutorials and read some parts of the manual or online help for the program.

Yup, I also figured that Trados will not be so intuitive. Luckily, I have at least a little knowledge of it from working online over an agency server. It makes sense that it's all very subjective when it comes to CAT tools. I also have the extra incentive to buy it - which is because one of my main customers is switching over to it.

Has anyone actually taken the online training for Trados and did it help? I've heard mixed views on this too and also been advised to attend a "live" course. I guess I'll have to wait till there is one closer to where I live though. I'd also like to go to a course where I actually get to use Trados. I once attended a course for Wordfast and it wasn't even done on computers, which frankly was a waste of time because learning software really should be hands-on.

Also this will depend on personal preferences. Surely an onsite training is better - and it is not that expensive if you ask me. AFAIK SDL offers clasroom-based trainings in Stuttgart for 350 Euros per person. And you can also find trainings here on ProZ.
But online training can also be a good experience (provided I'm the trainer)

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:12]

[Edited at 2008-07-29 15:13]


Well, I will definitely do the online training, as it is included in the package, but I'd also be interested in an on-site training. I see some have been offered in Bonn in the past, so hopefully they will be offered again soon!

Thanks so much again - I've learned a lot today!

Best,

Sarah [/quote]


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:50
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Training in Dortmund would be awesome ... Jul 29, 2008

... I hope that it manages to get off the ground! One other question while I think of it. A friend told me that a Trados licence includes installation on one desktop and one laptop - is that true? I sincerely hope so, as I need to install it on both.

Glad to hear that this thread has helped a few others!

Cheers,

Sarah


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Difference between SDLX and WORKBENCH training for Trados?

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs