https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/111373-multiterm_2007%3A_migrating_termbases_from_one_pc_to_another_and.html

Multiterm 2007: migrating termbases from one pc to another and
Thread poster: Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:20
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Jul 30, 2008

Hi,

I have just bought a new pc and am in the process now of transferring all my data from one pc to another. Which is the best way to get the termbases up and running.
In my old pc I have found the folder with all the termbases and copied it, but I can't find a folder "termbase" on my new pc in the MultiTerm installation. Can I just create one and copy everything in there?

Thanks for your suggestions

Kristina

Heike Steffens
Heike Steffens  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:20
Italian to German
+ ...
Multiterm will create the folder... Jul 30, 2008

... once you have "loaded the external termbase" (see menu Termbase).

When you open the termbase you have imported you have to click on Termbase -> Termbase Catalogue and in the window that opens you will find the path where Multiterm has created the new folder.

(Excuse my poor English...).

HTH
Heike

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Copy the termbases folder including all the content Jul 30, 2008

The folder in question is located in:
C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\SDL International\MultiTerm\Termbases
You will find all termbases there. Make sure you copy the MTMaster.mdb
Should you saved some termbases manually at different location, you will have to copy this location too.

Best regards
Jerzy

Sebastijan P
Sebastijan P
Slovenia
English to Slovenian
+ ...
Another option Jul 30, 2008

Kristina Wolf wrote:

Hi,

I have just bought a new pc and am in the process now of transferring all my data from one pc to another. Which is the best way to get the termbases up and running.
In my old pc I have found the folder with all the termbases and copied it, but I can't find a folder "termbase" on my new pc in the MultiTerm installation. Can I just create one and copy everything in there?

Thanks for your suggestions

Kristina

Hello!

One way is also selecting Termbase -> Package/Delete TermBase, select the termbase, select package, select the folder and you will get your termbase in a .mdb file.

Copy the new .mdb files to the new computer and select Termbase -> Import external termbase.

Give it a name and thats it.

Disclaimer: this makes sanse if you dont have a lot of termbases. Otherwise you'll be clicking a lot.

Kind regards,
Sebastijan

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Export to XML, copy, and reimport Jul 30, 2008

It is a more time consuming procedure, but you still have your termbase in an open format, should something go wrong.

Piotr

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Try this... Jul 30, 2008

Hello Kristina,

I would recommend packaging each termbase to a folder and then load them onto your new machine. To do this, please follow these instructions:

1. Open Multiterm
2. Go to the Termbase Menu -> Package/Delete Termbase...
3. Select the Termbase you wish to package and then choose the folder you wish to send it to.
4. Do this for every Termbase.

Once you have Multiterm installed on your new computer, go to the
Termbase Me
... See more
Hello Kristina,

I would recommend packaging each termbase to a folder and then load them onto your new machine. To do this, please follow these instructions:

1. Open Multiterm
2. Go to the Termbase Menu -> Package/Delete Termbase...
3. Select the Termbase you wish to package and then choose the folder you wish to send it to.
4. Do this for every Termbase.

Once you have Multiterm installed on your new computer, go to the
Termbase Menu -> Load External Termbase and then import the mdb file.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

Kristina Wolf
Kristina Wolf  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:20
Member (2004)
Spanish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks to everyone Jul 30, 2008

Thanks everyone for their suggestions.
I've tried Gareth' method and it has worked without any problems.

Kristina

Uwe Schwenk (X)
Uwe Schwenk (X)
United States
Local time: 04:20
English to German
Another solution if something goes wrong Jul 30, 2008

In case something goes wrong during the packaging or for whatever other reason, another solution would be the following.

1. Open the MultiTerm database.
2. Under Termbank use the option to save the Termbank definition to a location fo your choice.
3. Export the database to XML.
4. On the new PC create the MultiTerm database in your preferred location using the database definition saved in step 2.
5. Import the file exported in Step 3.

I am doing
... See more
In case something goes wrong during the packaging or for whatever other reason, another solution would be the following.

1. Open the MultiTerm database.
2. Under Termbank use the option to save the Termbank definition to a location fo your choice.
3. Export the database to XML.
4. On the new PC create the MultiTerm database in your preferred location using the database definition saved in step 2.
5. Import the file exported in Step 3.

I am doing it in this manner because sometimes things go wrong, and I do not loose any terms this way. I prefer starting with a new database on a new machine.

But thats my preference, so whatever works.

PS: If you created an input model, dont forget to do that too, so you dont have to re-create it.

Uwe

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-30 23:33]

[Bearbeitet am 2008-07-30 23:34]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Multiterm 2007: migrating termbases from one pc to another and

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »