https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/111395-apostrophe_skipped_in_tageditor.html

apostrophe skipped in TagEditor
Thread poster: Shannon Goyette
Shannon Goyette
Shannon Goyette  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:45
Italian to English
Jul 30, 2008

Hello,

I'm doing my first big translation in TagEditor and am having a few problems. The most serious is that any time there is an apostrophe in the original (ITA) text, TagEditor skips over it, not allowing me to translate it, but keeping it in the target (ENG) text as well. This leads to sentences like:

"The ' analysis performed by the ' operator."

I can't seem to delete it from the target text, at least not without opening it up individually in another
... See more
Hello,

I'm doing my first big translation in TagEditor and am having a few problems. The most serious is that any time there is an apostrophe in the original (ITA) text, TagEditor skips over it, not allowing me to translate it, but keeping it in the target (ENG) text as well. This leads to sentences like:

I can't seem to delete it from the target text, at least not without opening it up individually in another program, such as word or notepad.

Given that this project consists of over 500 tiny to medium size files, I would like to avoid having to add that step.

Any suggestions?

...oh the original files are in .xml with style sheets if that matters and they must be sent to the client in .xml, not in .ttx
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Are the apostrophes shown as such or as tags? Jul 30, 2008

Maybe you need simply to switch off tag protection (at least for internal tags - this is AFAIK the default setting nowadays).

Other possibility would be modifying the ini file for your xml's.

Piotr Bienkowski
Piotr Bienkowski  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
Switch off tag protection Jul 30, 2008

Shannon Goyette wrote:

Hello,

(...)

Hi,

Seems like the apostrophe is treated like a tag. Klick the padlock to disable tag protection and hopefully you will be able to delete the apostrophe.

You must ask your client what deliverables they want.

Regards,

Piotr

Shannon Goyette
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
i don't think they are tags... Jul 30, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion, but I've actually already tried turning off tag protection, but it still skips over them, and still does not allow me to change them.

Daniel García
Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
How are they skpped? Jul 30, 2008

Shannon Goyette wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I've actually already tried turning off tag protection, but it still skips over them, and still does not allow me to change them.

I don't really understand what you mean when you say that TRADOS skips them.

Do you mean to say that they are not part of the translation unit?

In your example, do you mean that you to translate three separate chunks of text and the apostrophes are not part of the translation unit?

Do you get to translate something like this?

The
'
analysis performed by the
'
operator.

Daniel

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
If they are not tags, you must be able to edit them Jul 30, 2008

In fact you are able to edyit anything in Tageditor. What you cannot edit without a special precaution, is tag content, but this is a very different pair of shoes.

So if you say apostrophes are skipped, I'm with Daniel...
What do you mean by that?
Please post a screen shot of your translation.

Shannon Goyette
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Trados doesn't give me the opportunity to translate them Jul 30, 2008

Sorry, if I'm not being clear...

As an example, a sentence that should be something like:

"L'utilizzo della programma dall'operatore..."

is given to me in TagEditor as:

(segment) L

(segment) utilizzo della programma dall

(segment) operatore...

The two apostrophes are not provided as sections to translate. However, they remain in the target file.

If I open the file in Word or in Notepad
... See more
Sorry, if I'm not being clear...

As an example, a sentence that should be something like:

"L'utilizzo della programma dall'operatore..."

is given to me in TagEditor as:

(segment) L

(segment) utilizzo della programma dall

(segment) operatore...

The two apostrophes are not provided as sections to translate. However, they remain in the target file.

If I open the file in Word or in Notepad I can remove them, but as there are literally hundreds of files, some with only about 15 words, I would really like to avoid having to do so.
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So then they are treated as tags or segment borders Jul 30, 2008

Are you able to expand segment to include the apostrophes within?
If yes, the segmentation rule is somewhat strange, if not, the apostrophs are treated as external tags - in this case you should change the ini.
Maybe also they are "entities" and are not shown as apostrophs, but as tags?

Shannon Goyette
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
screen shot Jul 30, 2008

ok here's a screen shot with quite a few of the 's. There's a few before translation, and a few after. In the part to be translated, it should give the word(s) to me as "E' inoltre visualizzato l'andamento..." Instead, it splits the sentence into three pieces, and takes out the apostrophes from the part that can be translated.

[img]http://a3.vox.com/6a00c225279761604a0100a7ed4593000e-pi[/img]

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
The apostrophes are formatted with a different font Jul 30, 2008

So Trados does see them as being "outside" of the segment, as it tries to keep so many formatting tags outside of segments as possible.
In this case you should be able to expand segment without any problem
However, if you say your source is xml, so something has been done wrong when preparing the files. Did you got the ini file from your customer?
Or is the source text processed by another application and then opened in Tageditor?
It looks for me as would the text have se
... See more
So Trados does see them as being "outside" of the segment, as it tries to keep so many formatting tags outside of segments as possible.
In this case you should be able to expand segment without any problem
However, if you say your source is xml, so something has been done wrong when preparing the files. Did you got the ini file from your customer?
Or is the source text processed by another application and then opened in Tageditor?
It looks for me as would the text have seen a texteditor, such as Word, because all quotation marks and apostrophs have a different formatting as the rest of the text. This happens quite often in Word, when the basic font is incabable of showing localised quotation marks.

Could you send me an example file (or better all files and the ini) to check that?
My email is info at doku minus trans dot de.

BTW
Forgive me, but I couldn't withstand... IMHO you cannot click a mouse button, because clicking is something you do with the mouse on the screen. It should already in Italian read "press" the mouse button.

[Edited at 2008-07-30 20:23]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Source xml is weird formatted Jul 30, 2008

and apostrophes (localised ones) are indeed included in tags already in the source html.
The ini provided by the customer does treat those tags as external.
After changing the type of the corresponding tag from external to internal the apostrophes are now included in the segments as they should be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

apostrophe skipped in TagEditor

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »