Thread poster: David Rumsey
David Rumsey  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 22:03
Member (2004)
Danish to English
+ ...
Aug 1, 2008

Hi there. I use Trados 2006 w/ build 759.

I have been translating .doc files in Word with Trados Workbench. At the beginning of translation, I save the file as xxxxx-eng.doc so I can distinguish between source and target files.

At the end of the project I cleaned the .doc files. This generated a series of .bak back-up files.

The client has now provided terminology changes that they want incorporated in the files and to update the TM. I want to be able to edit the files and update the TM at the same time.

As I understand it, in order to do this, I cannot edit the cleaned files. I need to edit the unclean (.bak) files and then run "Clean files" again from Workbench.

However, went I did this - none of the changes to the file were updated in the new target .doc files.

What is the correct process for updating files that have been cleaned as well as the TM?

My only answer is to manually edit the cleaned files and then manually open, edit, resave segments in the .bak files. This seems incredibly time consuming. Is there a shortcut.

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel García
English to Spanish
+ ...
What did you do precisely? Aug 1, 2008

As I understand it, in order to do this, I cannot edit the cleaned files. I need to edit the unclean (.bak) files and then run "Clean files" again from Workbench.

However, went I did this - none of the changes to the file were updated in the new target .doc files.

What is the correct process for updating files that have been cleaned as well as the TM?

What steps did you follow exactly?

Basically, what you should do is this:

a) Move de clean DOC files to a different place (you'll delet them later).
b) Rename the change the BAK extension to DOC.
c) Make the changes in these DOC bilingual files.
d) Save the files and clean them up.
e) Check your new clean files and delete the old clean files.

If you opened the BAK files directly in MS Word, when you cleaned them up, your newly cleaned files will still be called BAK and TRADOS will have created new BAK.BAK files.

If you did this, the DOC files will not have the changes.

Daniel

Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
If they're minor changes... Aug 1, 2008

Hi, David.

Usually after I clean up a Trados file, I tidy the formatting a bit. If a client then requests minor revisions, I'd rather not have to redo that manual formatting work.

So, if the changes are few, I open the .bak file (with Trados and the appropriate TM open), and then I open, edit and close the relevant segments to update the TM.

After that, I manually update the .doc files.

However, if the client wants major changes in terminology and significant revisions, I make a copy of the existing .bak file in a new folder. I change the filename extension from .bak to .doc (or .rtf depending on the file format) and then revise and cleanup in Trados as usual.

[Edited at 2008-08-01 19:05]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 01:03
English to French
+ ...
Why not recreate the bilingual files? Aug 1, 2008

In this case, here's what I would do:

Open the original source files, use the Translate function in Workbench so you obtain a bilingual file with the matches from the TM you created implemented, and then make the changes to these bilingual files as per the client's request. Then, you clean the files as usual.

I would simply like to add that if the client changed his/her mind once you completed a fair deal of your translation, they should pay you for these edits separately. After all, it is not your fault that they couldn't make up their mind. Why should you waste your own time to clean up their mess? Of course, you may want to give this service to them as a freebie, to show your appreication for their business, but in that case, make sure you mention to them that this service is complimentary. Otherwise, they might get into the nasty habit of messing up and having you invest your time to clean up their act. You don't want to go there...

Edit: You may want to use ApSic XBench for those edits - it may save you a lot of time. Load your bilingual files into an XBench project and set them as active translation files. Then, create a tabbed text file of the new terms the client wants you to implement. To create this file, you just open Notepad, enter the source term, press the tab key, enter the target term and press enter. Keep going like this until you have entered all the new terms in the file, then save it. Add this file to the XBench project and set it as a key terms file. Then, you need to run the QA process in XBench. You will get a report that contains, among other things, all segments in your bilingual files that do not currently respect the terminology added by the client. If you wish, you can right-click each of these segments in the report and select Edit source - the appropriate bilingual file will open, with the appropriate segment displayed and highlighted on the screen.

Once you are done with all your corrections and want to double-check that you corrected everything correctly, click Reload in XBench and run the QA process again to get an updated QA report.

[Edited at 2008-08-01 21:26]

Bin Zhao
China
Local time: 14:03
English to Chinese
I don't think there is a shortcut Aug 3, 2008

Considering the volume of the updated terms and the complexity of the target language, there is only way that you may manually do all the revisement. But with regard to the comsuming time, I agree with Viktoria. It is not your fault! You should let them know that they should pay more for the revisement job or it is not your responsibily to do the job but you can kindly undertake it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing cleaned files in Trados

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs