Birthe Omark
Birthe Omark  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 09:30
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
Aug 2, 2008

It seems that many translators here are working with 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop, and one of the beauties of the job is certainly the flexibility.

The system of returning and borrowing the licence again is of course a good solution, but woldn't it be wonderful, if SDL followed the way the market goes and respond to the fact that many translators work intermittently from their laptop, so that the packs come with two licences for the same user. This would be so convenient. A
... See more
It seems that many translators here are working with 2 computers - a desktop and a laptop, and one of the beauties of the job is certainly the flexibility.

The system of returning and borrowing the licence again is of course a good solution, but woldn't it be wonderful, if SDL followed the way the market goes and respond to the fact that many translators work intermittently from their laptop, so that the packs come with two licences for the same user. This would be so convenient. A small surcharge could be reasonable, but it is a bit much having to invest in a second licence for security.

Another matter is that it does happen that a computer crashes - some times even during translation. In addition to the frustration to retrieve the lost data, the fact that the licence is 'lost' until it is possible to convince SDL-support that there is real problem and not just a sneeky way to try to get an extra licence, would then be overcome.

There are may reasons for wanting an additional licence - and with most translator's working alone, the likelyhood of two instances running at the same time is quite remote.

I for my part have gone off to my weekend house with my laptop and good intentions to work on a project only to find, that i had forgotten to deposit my licence !!!

What do my fellow-transltors think .. and could such an offer be considered by SDL ??

best regards
Birthe

[Edited at 2008-08-02 16:32]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I always had a dual license Aug 2, 2008

for my Trados/SDL Trados, since it started to be soft-locked. Don't ask me how or why...
And as far as I remember not so long ago someone has posted an excerpt from SDL Trados freelance license, saying that you are allowed to install the software on desktop and laptop together... I cannot check it, because in the meantime I do not use the freelance version anymore, so I also don't have it installed and thus don't have the license agreement. I was also not able to find a corresponding licen
... See more
for my Trados/SDL Trados, since it started to be soft-locked. Don't ask me how or why...
And as far as I remember not so long ago someone has posted an excerpt from SDL Trados freelance license, saying that you are allowed to install the software on desktop and laptop together... I cannot check it, because in the meantime I do not use the freelance version anymore, so I also don't have it installed and thus don't have the license agreement. I was also not able to find a corresponding license agreement on the net.
But maybe you could check in your license agreement, what it says on that.
Collapse

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Is that also the matter for Trados 8 - 2007 ? Aug 2, 2008

Thank you for your reply, Jerzy

I do recall the posting ( as far as I remember, it was a digression from the main topic,) and I checked my licence agreement at that point, and found that only one instance is allowed. And the code licence cannot be activated a second time.

A way round it may be having version 2006 on the other machine, and hope that there is no collision.
However, ASAIK only version 2007 is compatible with Windows Vista & Words 2007.

... See more
Thank you for your reply, Jerzy

I do recall the posting ( as far as I remember, it was a digression from the main topic,) and I checked my licence agreement at that point, and found that only one instance is allowed. And the code licence cannot be activated a second time.

A way round it may be having version 2006 on the other machine, and hope that there is no collision.

Kind regards
Birthe
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
So then I would ask SDL sales for clarification Aug 2, 2008

My last freelace used was SDL Trados 2007 and I had two activation codes. I really do not know why, but I remember having asked Trados for the possibility to use the software on desktop and laptop.
For example, Microsoft full versions are (were) elligible for usage on desktop and laptop together, while OEM are not.
I'm afraid there is no good answer without having contacted SDL.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
My 2c Aug 2, 2008

The 7.1 TWB with the lic file(s), running on PC(s) with XP ... what would we miss? Vista? Word 2007?

My experience is that trados version(s) before 7.5 do run on Vista. Save for the floating licence (as opposed to the LIC file) and the vista support the differences are minor - I know I know, there's two or three pages of enhancements but what we are talking about is a mature if not aged product anyhow.

And so far I have to find out, what 2007 does, that (for my purposes of course) Word 2003 could not.

So, to repeat it again, PC with an XP, 7.1 TRADOS and the good ol' lic file(s). Think of it.

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What wonderful guys you are .. Aug 2, 2008

I did try to add in the activation code (in 2007 version) which is active on the desktop, and lo and behold .. SDL congratulated me for having succesfully activated my 2007-version ! And I didn't even get an error message about licence conflict.

I am sorry having wasted your time, by being so ademen ! On the other hand one person's question often answer's another persons questions.

So.. now I will get cracking again and try to salvage my somehow corrupted source file
... See more
I did try to add in the activation code (in 2007 version) which is active on the desktop, and lo and behold .. SDL congratulated me for having succesfully activated my 2007-version ! And I didn't even get an error message about licence conflict.

I am sorry having wasted your time, by being so ademen ! On the other hand one person's question often answer's another persons questions.

So.. now I will get cracking again and try to salvage my somehow corrupted source file.

Have a good evening.
Birthe
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Corrupted file? Aug 2, 2008

Birthe Omark wrote:
So.. now I will get cracking again and try to salvage my somehow corrupted source file.

Have a good evening.
Birthe

What kind of corruption is this? I hope you will not sentence your file to death for this crime...
And being serious: do you need any help with that?

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wish you could .. and maybe you can Aug 2, 2008

You are really kind.
But somehow I do blame the doc. for the other problem. You see, I have not managed to get TWB working on my new Vista/Word2007 computer - and as I could not deal with the document in TE / not even analyse it - I had to work with it on the old desktop with only 512 Ram.

It is a word document with tabels and photos and figure texts- and an index. It is 34 pages / 10 MB / 4100 words.

I have a TM from previous translations, where I have had sim
... See more
You are really kind.
But somehow I do blame the doc. for the other problem. You see, I have not managed to get TWB working on my new Vista/Word2007 computer - and as I could not deal with the document in TE / not even analyse it - I had to work with it on the old desktop with only 512 Ram.

It is a word document with tabels and photos and figure texts- and an index. It is 34 pages / 10 MB / 4100 words.

I have a TM from previous translations, where I have had similar problems. I therefore created a new TM using export/import.

The document had track-and-trace corrections which had not been dealt approved. So I cleaned the doc. of those.
Same result again.
I started translating in TWB / Word, taking care to close TU before a photo, and then open the next one after the window. This was typically where an error message occurred with 'no end of paragraph found'.

However, i could not clean up the file. I then tried to export the TM and import into a new one, and to translate again with the new TM. Same problem.
The error message was OLE file name error ..

I then use the TM on the clean source file again - but the error message persisted.

I have had to boot the system several times.

In exasperation at the end I converted the word file into text, re-ran the translation and sent it to the customer. But that really is not good enough, when he expects that the translated doc. should be like the source.

I was wondering if I could remove the photos and replace them again. i know that there is way to do this, but I haven't found out just how to.

The big problem is, that the customer uses the same template all the time, and I have had the same problem every time. I don't remember how I dealt with it last time. But again this was first translating in TE / finding that it does not return the source file / then repairing with TWB and finally polish manually. So the best thing would be to clean up the word file first.

This was a long one .. hope that I haven't messed this up as well.

best regards
Birthe
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Do not use Workbench to cleanup your file Aug 2, 2008

Clean it in Word instead.
Save a copy of the file in rtf-format for updating your Tm.
OPen the doc file in Word. Press ALT+F8, then put "tw" in the field for macro name, select TW4winclean.main and let it run. This will clenaup your document without messing up anything, but WITHOUT updating the TM. Now as you saved the rtf, open it, remove all pictures and save it again. Go to Workbench and cleanup this file - this will update your TM. Now you can even delete the cleaned rtf.
<
... See more
Clean it in Word instead.
Save a copy of the file in rtf-format for updating your Tm.
OPen the doc file in Word. Press ALT+F8, then put "tw" in the field for macro name, select TW4winclean.main and let it run. This will clenaup your document without messing up anything, but WITHOUT updating the TM. Now as you saved the rtf, open it, remove all pictures and save it again. Go to Workbench and cleanup this file - this will update your TM. Now you can even delete the cleaned rtf.

For the future: use Tageditor.
If Word document does have unaccepted changes in it, go to Filter Settings (within the Trados program group) and change the corresponding setting.

HTH
Jerzy
Collapse

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you .. tw-macro worked wonders ! Aug 2, 2008

What a magic thing this TW-cleaning-macro ! I had seen it mentioned in other posts but never made the connection to this particular problem

The file is fine now! and the problem is solved for now.

I wonder if there is a similar way to clean up Word files with hidden tags, for I think this was the problem from the outset. Although I set out to translate in TagEditor, Trados wouldn't convert the file to the correct format - it wouldn't even fihish !

Best r
... See more
What a magic thing this TW-cleaning-macro ! I had seen it mentioned in other posts but never made the connection to this particular problem

The file is fine now! and the problem is solved for now.

I wonder if there is a similar way to clean up Word files with hidden tags, for I think this was the problem from the outset. Although I set out to translate in TagEditor, Trados wouldn't convert the file to the correct format - it wouldn't even fihish !

Best regards good night and lots of big smiles !

Birthe
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
What are hidden tags? Aug 3, 2008

In fact I do not know anything about "hidden" tags.
If you mean tags not being visible in Word, so this is just a view setting and has no impact on how the macro works. If so, then the answer is "yes, this macro cleans all tags, even if they are invisible in Word".

As for Tageditor: if Tageditor does have problems with Word files, so mostly the file itself is somehow damaged. Remote diagnostics is however only possible, if I know the exact error description. But even then mayb
... See more
In fact I do not know anything about "hidden" tags.
If you mean tags not being visible in Word, so this is just a view setting and has no impact on how the macro works. If so, then the answer is "yes, this macro cleans all tags, even if they are invisible in Word".

As for Tageditor: if Tageditor does have problems with Word files, so mostly the file itself is somehow damaged. Remote diagnostics is however only possible, if I know the exact error description. But even then maybe I would need to see the file to tell why it will not convert.
Collapse

Birthe Omark
Denmark
Member (2006)
French to Danish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Woul be nice if you could look at the file .. Aug 3, 2008

jerzy,

if I am not outstaying my welcome and abusing your helpfulness, i would be very grateful if you could look at the source file for me and give me some of your good advise for future use.

The customer doesn't have a clue. And the problem is recurring as he is always using the same template and adjusting to the exact construction of the machine.

'hidden tags' might not be the right wording for the fenomenon, and the error messages don't give the problem
... See more
jerzy,

if I am not outstaying my welcome and abusing your helpfulness, i would be very grateful if you could look at the source file for me and give me some of your good advise for future use.

The customer doesn't have a clue. And the problem is recurring as he is always using the same template and adjusting to the exact construction of the machine.

'hidden tags' might not be the right wording for the fenomenon, and the error messages don't give the problem away (to me at least).

So - if you would look at it for me I'll send the file to you via an ftp-service. And maybe you can extract information which will be relevant for other Proz-members in distress !

Kind regards
Birthe

You are welcome to reply over my mail until the problem gets a more general carachter again.

[Edited at 2008-08-03 10:54]

Email address withdrawn - thank you for your advise jerzy

[Edited at 2008-08-03 10:55]
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Avoid crawlers Aug 3, 2008

and edit the email address in your posting to not inclute the "at" (@) sign.

Best regards
Jerzy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Dual licence for SDL Trados FL ?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »