Mobile menu

¿Can you force segmentation of numbers in Trados 7.5?
Thread poster: Paula Serrano

Paula Serrano  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:25
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 4, 2008

Hi, all. I am new to Trados, and I have a question. I need Trados to include certain numbers (followed by the degree symbol) in the segments I have to translate. For example, for the phrase "60º slope", I only get "slope", and "60º" is ignored. What should I do to get numbers with the "º" symbol included as part of the segments? I see in the manual it should be done at the Setup window, but I can't figure out exactly how. Wordfast has a "force segmentation" function, but I don't think Trados has anything like it, does it?
Huge thanks in advance,

Direct link Reply with quote

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
English to Danish
+ ...
Insert non-breaking space Sep 13, 2009

Hi Paula,

I just stumbled over your post since I was looking for an answer to the same question, and in another thread in this forum another user suggests that the problem can be solved by inserting non-breaking spaces (Ctrl+Shift+Space).

There might be an easier way to do this, but this works.

- If anybody out there knows of a better way to deal with this, please share

Best regards,

[Edited at 2009-09-13 16:42 GMT]

KSL Berlin  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:25
Member (2003)
German to English
MemoQ Sep 13, 2009

Use MemoQ to process the pre-segmented Trados file and specify that unsegmented content (like numbers) is to be imported as well.

Mette Melchior  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:25
English to Danish
+ ...
Thank you for the tip! Sep 15, 2009

I have no experience with MemoQ but have been wanting to check it out for some time. Maybe now would be a good time...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

¿Can you force segmentation of numbers in Trados 7.5?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info » PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs