Mobile menu

How to align Excel files on TRADOS 7 ?
Thread poster: NicoS24
Local time: 09:19
English to French
+ ...
Aug 5, 2008

I have been searching all over this forum to eventually find nothing.

I have translated several excel files without TRADOS, but as the client wanted "unclean" files to update their TM, I need to create a TM with the excel files.

So I did as I found on this forum, I created 2 new excel sheets, 1 with source only in column A, the oher with translation only in column A. But in Trados 7, there is no "T-windows for Excel" to align it easily :s

So I tried to align it with winalign, but it wouldn't start the process. I probably don't know what to pick in the segmentation proprierties...

As some of the files have around 14 000 entries I cannot consider doing it again manually with Tad Editor...

Can someone save me please and tell me what to do?

Direct link Reply with quote

Anthony Green  Identity Verified
Italian to English
create two doc files and then winalign them Aug 5, 2008

Hi Nico

I have been in a similar situation.
I would create one Source file and one Target file in DOC format.
Then I would use Winalign segmenting by sentence (though that depends on your client's needs, so I would double check with them).
The result will be a TM that may even be ready to send to the client as is.

Good luck

English to French
+ ...
Thanks Aug 6, 2008

Thanks a lot Anthony, I will try that!

English to Hungarian
+ ...
just create the import file Aug 6, 2008

Create an importable txt file for trados if that's what they use.

Do an export of any TM in the same language combination. You'll need the header and also the structure of the tabs.
Open the exported txt, scroll down, have a look at the tabs. They are TrU, CrD, /TrU and such obvious abbreviations, all in angled brackets, followed by the content (the text itself, the creator id etc.) and separated by line breaks.

Copy the source and target text columns into an excel spreadsheet with an epmty column between them, aligned. Copy the tags in the appropriate order into the first row of the spreadsheet.

I uploaded a hungarian template:

When you've filled in your template with the relevant data, copy all to notepad, copy from there to MS word and use search and replace to format it (remove some tabs, add line breaks). From there, copy under the header of your existing export file and save.

The advantage is that you get to set every parameter as you wish, inc. creator ID, date, and if you wish, other fields, even for parts of the TM.

Usually, these 10 steps take < half the time the single step of "align it with winalign" takes. In your case winalign will probably do okay too.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to align Excel files on TRADOS 7 ?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs