Contingency planning for Tag Editor
Thread poster: Tom Fennell

Tom Fennell
United States
Local time: 04:06
Russian to English
+ ...
Aug 7, 2008

I like working with Tag Editor because it works much faster than working in Word with Trados, especially with long files.

However, it is a huge risk.

Yesterday I finished a huge rush job. Tag Editor would not open the .rtf or .doc files, saying that all changes had not been accepted (they had), but it (strangely) took the file as .docx

When I was already at deadline, Workbench could not clean up the file. There were no verification errors.

There followed a frenzied process of recopying the file in a less formatted (.rtf) version, running it through Tag Editor again, etc. etc.

The local (Russia) SDL support couldn't help and had to escalate to SDL HQ - still no response.

Does anybody have strategies for this? Not so much the specific error (although tips also welcome on that) but how to guard against clean-up failure?

My suspicion is that Tag Editor want's only "nicely" formatted documents, and that documents should be "cleaned" (ctrl+A, Ctrl+space) of all formatting in Word, then reformatted "correctly" (using styles, etc.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Sushan Harshe
Local time: 14:36
English to Hindi
+ ...
ur geuss is correct Aug 7, 2008

What you guess is correct. While working with tag files the format needs to be intact. Not only your key strokes but white space also disturbs the format. Hence the results in clean to target file is off course not per ur expectation.

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Contingency planning for Tag Editor

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs