Handling serial numbers in XXX.XXXXX.XXXXX format as placeables?
Thread poster: Conor Murphy

Conor Murphy  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:57
Member (2010)
German to English
Aug 7, 2008

Hi,

Using Trados Freelance 2007, I am translating a (very large - 20,000 lines) Excel catalogue file with product name and serial number (unfortunately) located within the same cell.

I would like Workbench to treat these unique product numbers (which appear at the start of the text) as placeables. They take the form XXX.XXXXX.XXXXX (no spaces between dots and numbers) and each of these 3 parts may re-occur individually many times throughout the document.

For the suggested translation, Workbench inserts the product number that it associates with the associated short product description (as said before, contained in same cell).

I have tried unsuccessfully to define the 3 and 5-digit components as variables as Workbench did not treat these as numbers. Workbench continues to insert the number previously attached to the translation of the short product description.

How can I get Workbench to treat numbers in this format as placeables? (Is this anything to do with altering the segmentation rules?)

Thanks in advance.

Direct link Reply with quote

Antoní­n Otáhal
Local time: 16:57
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Preprocess (and postprocess) Aug 7, 2008

I suggest you:

- export as tab delimited, or csv, depending on the formatting of your cells
- remove the dots from the numbers in an editor admitting regular expressions
- put the dots back in a similar way after completing the translation

I do not claim there do not exist easier ways, but I cannot think of any. It might be possible to write a macro removing/putting back dost directly in Excel, but it would probably involve more work,

Antonin

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Still having problem including with numbers starting with zero Aug 7, 2008

Thank you for your very prompt reply.

By way of testing prior to translating:

- I copied 50 cells

- converted these to txt .format

- removed the dots in an editor replacing the dots with a space so as to be able to detect where dots are required in post-processing (this did not affect measurements as source document is German and the decimal is therefore a comma).

- I loaded this modified txt file into TagEditor.

Translation:

During translation I was able, via Workbench, to confirm various numbers as placeables.

Workbench does not however seem to recognise numbers beginning with zero (of which there are many) as potential placeables. Even defining these as variables has not produced the required result and Workbench continues to insert the previously associated number into the proposed translation unit.

Any ideas?

Thanks again.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Regexp Aug 7, 2008

Here is an idea (no guarantee it will work...).

1. Copy the table and paste it into Word.
2. Replace the serials in the first document with regular expressions, so they change from 123.45678.90123 to SERIAL123X45678X90123END and with font color blue.
3. Make another copy of this document.
4. Remove the blue color and paste back to Excel (or translate it in Word).
5. From the other Word copy remove all text that is not blue. Make sure that you have a paragraph mark after each END. You will get a list of the serial numbers, each in its own line.
6. Save this list as text and use it for variables list in Trados.

After translation is done, again in Word change the serials with regexp back to their original format.

[Edited at 2008-08-07 11:31]

Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
leading zeros Aug 7, 2008

Workbench does not however seem to recognise numbers beginning with zero (of which there are many) as potential placeables

what about putting "9999" (or another sequence if 9999 would be misleading in your context) as the leading numerals (i e., replace [space][zero] with 9999[space][zero])

Antonin

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Proceeding by deleting initial zero and deleting dots Aug 7, 2008

Thank you Antoní­n and Jabberwock for your replies.

I am proceeding with the following solution (on the basis of your contributions)

The serial numbers are of the form XXX.XXXX.XXXXX (and not XXX.XXXXX.XXXXX as previously stated, but no matter).

The initial three numbers almost always start with zero (i.e. 0XX). And there are only (so far) approx. 15 versions of these.

The solution:

- change 0XX to 999XX to be left with 999XX.XXXX.XXXXX

- change each dot to XXXX to be left with 999XX9999XXXX9999XXXXX

- after translation and conversion back to Excel, I will replace 999 with 0 and each instance of 9999 with a dot.

Thanks for your assistance.

Conor.

United Kingdom
Member (2010)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Sorry typo Aug 7, 2008

In my solution that should of course have read -

- change each dot to 9999 to be left with 999XX9999XXXX9999XXXXX

and not

- change each dot to XXXX to be left with 999XX9999XXXX9999XXXXX

C.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Handling serial numbers in XXX.XXXXX.XXXXX format as placeables?

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs