Two variants of a language: Can I change the TM?
Thread poster: Y. Peraza
Y. Peraza
Y. Peraza
Local time: 08:15
Danish to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 7, 2008

Hi all,

I have a problem here. I usually use the option "Spanish-International sort" as target language, but now my client says that he can not clean my files because he uses "Spanish-Spain" in his setup. I need to send them a few files again, but using the combination "Source language> Spanish-Spain".

How can I do this? If I change the source language in the Workbench, a message appears when I open the files: TRADOS won't operate because the languages combination is
... See more
Hi all,

I have a problem here. I usually use the option "Spanish-International sort" as target language, but now my client says that he can not clean my files because he uses "Spanish-Spain" in his setup. I need to send them a few files again, but using the combination "Source language> Spanish-Spain".

How can I do this? If I change the source language in the Workbench, a message appears when I open the files: TRADOS won't operate because the languages combination is different.

Can anybody help me?
Thank you in advance.

Yaiza

PS- This is urgent.... Ay!

[Edited at 2008-08-07 18:53]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
if it is just cleaning the files ... Aug 7, 2008

then change the laguage code in the bilingual files to suit the client. Or use (for instance) PlusToyz to i) create a two-column word file and ii) delete the source (bingo, it's clean now).

Marinus Vesseur
Marinus Vesseur  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 23:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
Export to txt, change language by search and replace, import into new TM again Aug 8, 2008

Hi

I have this issue with the various versions of English sometimes.

- Export the TM to a *.txt file.
- Open the *.txt file.
- You will see that every segment has a part that defines the language.
Search for "Spanish Int" in the segments (or whatever else it says) and replace with "Spanish ES" (just an example, I don't know the definition of your language variants).
- You will now have created a txt-TM with the right language that only needs i
... See more
Hi

I have this issue with the various versions of English sometimes.

- Export the TM to a *.txt file.
- Open the *.txt file.
- You will see that every segment has a part that defines the language.
Search for "Spanish Int" in the segments (or whatever else it says) and replace with "Spanish ES" (just an example, I don't know the definition of your language variants).
- You will now have created a txt-TM with the right language that only needs importing into a new TM with the proper language variant.

Good luck!
Collapse

Y. Peraza
Y. Peraza
Danish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Bilingual file Aug 8, 2008

Vito Smolej wrote:

then change the laguage code in the bilingual files to suit the client. Or use (for instance) PlusToyz to i) create a two-column word file and ii) delete the source (bingo, it's clean now).

Thank you very much. That's exactly what I need to do. How do I change the language code in the bilingual files? I can't figure out how to do it...

Thanks again.

[Edited at 2008-08-08 06:51]

avsie (X)
avsie (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Open the file with Notepad Aug 8, 2008

Hi,

Open your TTX file with Notepad and change the target language. Look for something like "SourceLanguage="XX-XX" TargetLanguage="XX-XX"" in the header of the file and change the target language for ES-ES (the code for Spanish (Spain)).

Save your file. And voilà, you have changed the target language

I hope this helps,

Marie-Claude

Y. Peraza
Y. Peraza
Danish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No TTX file Aug 8, 2008

Thank you for your suggestions. However, I don't have any TTX files. I have PPT files (Power point). What shall I do? Shall I save them as TTX? Wouldn't I lose info by doing so?

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
Bilingual files Aug 8, 2008

How did you translate your Power Point presentation using Trados, with Tag Editor I presume? If so, you obviously created a ppt.ttx bilingual file when translating (and 'Saving bilingual as...'). Otherwise, I really wouldn't know what kind of bilingual file you have at the moment

Y. Peraza
Y. Peraza
Danish to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Formats... Aug 8, 2008

Of course, yes, I have the biligual files. I'm sorry, I thought you all were talking about the TM. I got confused with txt and ttx.

I'm going to try your solution.

Thank you very much!

avsie (X)
English to French
+ ...
No prob Aug 8, 2008

It's easy to get confused Let me know if it works for you!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Two variants of a language: Can I change the TM?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »