https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112159-_2147467259%3A_connection_with_server_application_error%3Aspecified_cast_is_not_valid.html

(-2147467259): Connection with server application error:Specified cast is not valid
Thread poster: Elvina Tran
Elvina Tran
Elvina Tran  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 07:19
German to French
+ ...
Aug 7, 2008

Hello,

I am working with Trados Freelance 2007, Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows XP.
I have a problem with an Excel file. The file was skipped during
analysis and it can't be opened with TagEditor. The message I get is

(-2147467259): Connection with server application error:
Specified cast is not valid.

I searched the archives but found nothing useful.

Does anyone know a solution? Thank you very much in advance.

... See more
Hello,

I am working with Trados Freelance 2007, Microsoft Office 2007 and Windows XP.
I have a problem with an Excel file. The file was skipped during
analysis and it can't be opened with TagEditor. The message I get is

(-2147467259): Connection with server application error:
Specified cast is not valid.

I searched the archives but found nothing useful.

Does anyone know a solution? Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,
Elvina

[Edited at 2008-08-07 20:34]
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
first reaction ... Aug 7, 2008

must be quite a wild Excel file....

Can you cut it up in pieces? Could be comments, strange kind of formulae etc...

Elvina Tran
Elvina Tran  Identity Verified
Germany
German to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Wild indeed Aug 7, 2008

Thanks for your answer.

Vito Smolej wrote:

must be quite a wild Excel file....

Yes, I think that is a good description for this monster... Actually I am still wondering why they used Excel to create flowcharts.

Can you cut it up in pieces? Could be comments, strange kind of formulae etc...

There are neither comments nor formulae. Cutting it in pieces is not possible except copying each sheet in a separate file.

Olaf (X)
Olaf (X)
English to German
Most likely the file is corrupted Aug 8, 2008

Try re-saving it in a different format and then back to the original format or create a new spreadsheet and copy each sheet from the original spreadsheet to the new spreadsheet.

Olaf

DavidHardy
DavidHardy
Local time: 06:19
Portuguese to English
Me too Aug 9, 2008

Hi. I also got this text error two days ago when trying to open an Excel file in TagEditor but with the error number 80005. Not sure if this refers to exactly the same problem but just in case...
You could possibly have something (a flowchart?) that was produced in another file then linked in to the file you are translating and need the original file.

In my case the job was quite a complicated Excel file and had several different sheets. I tried saving just one separately a
... See more
Hi. I also got this text error two days ago when trying to open an Excel file in TagEditor but with the error number 80005. Not sure if this refers to exactly the same problem but just in case...
You could possibly have something (a flowchart?) that was produced in another file then linked in to the file you are translating and need the original file.

In my case the job was quite a complicated Excel file and had several different sheets. I tried saving just one separately and then opening it, but I had the same problem. It linked data to an external file that was NOT provided.

I am just about to go on holiday so turned the job down as I did not know how tricky finding the solution would be and that would have eaten into the actual translating time (sound familiar??!!).

SDL have put the following message as one of its latest articles at http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/index.aspx?c=&cpc=&cid=&cat=&catURL=&r=0.612489938735962

When opening a Microsoft Excel document in TagEditor, the error message Connection with server application error: Specified cast is not valid is shown.
(Error code: 80005).

Explanation
This error may occur when your Microsoft Excel document contains a text box or a drawing that is an OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) object.
There is no fix for the issue yet. The best workaround depends on if the object contains translatable text or not.
If the object does not contain text that you have to translate, or if you do not have to translate the text within the text box or drawing, you can either delete it from your source file and paste it back into your translated target file after translation, or protect it in Microsoft Excel using Tools > Protection > Protect sheet. All text on that particular sheet will then be automatically skipped when you open your file in TagEditor.
If you really need to translate the text within the text box or drawing, the best workaround for this issue is to copy and paste this text into a new empty file and translate it from there. Afterwards you must recreate the object in your translated Excel file and copy the translated text back in.

I did find that I could save the Excel file as a text file, then load it into TagEditor, but it kind of defeated the purpose of having an Excel file TagEditor and holiday mode was kicking in by then....
Good luck!

[Edited at 2008-08-09 13:55]

[Edited at 2008-08-09 14:06]

[Edited at 2008-08-09 19:08]
Collapse

Miguel RM
Miguel RM
Local time: 14:19
Japanese to English
Thank you Jul 22, 2009

I just wanted everyone on here to know that I just tried the above suggestion (deleting all of the material in the floating layer text boxes in the file and it worked. Thank you so much for asking/answering the right question.

Miguel

Nil Ramos
Nil Ramos
Malta
French to Dutch
+ ...
how to delete the objects? Feb 18, 2010

I find myself in the same situation.

So i tried to delete all the objects etc. However, i find that is impossible to delete the flowcharts or whatever it is that is possibly causing trouble. Has it got something to do with "layers"? never heard of those in Excel ...

OK, found it, never mind.

[Edited at 2010-02-19 13:24 GMT]

David Xing
David Xing  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:19
Chinese to English
+ ...
formula causes the error Oct 26, 2011

for my case, it is the formula, which causes the error. So, there is no solution for this.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

(-2147467259): Connection with server application error:Specified cast is not valid

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »