https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112250-multiterm_7_how_to_delete_termbases.html

MultiTerm 7 - How to delete termbases?
Thread poster: Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
Local time: 21:37
English to German
+ ...
Aug 8, 2008

I want to delete some termbases that I created as part of "trial projects" when starting to work with MultiTerm quite a while ago, but can't find any reference in the MultiTerm Help as to how to do it. Can anybody out there tell me how to delete existing termbases?

Your help is much appreciated.
Ulrike (aka LittleBalu)

Mathieu Jacquet
Mathieu Jacquet  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Package/delete function Aug 8, 2008

1. Open Multiterm

2. Click on Termbase > Package/delete termbases

3. Select your termbase, then check "delete termbase permanently"

4. Click OK.

Or read your User Guide.

Mathieu

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Delete? Aug 8, 2008

Thanks very much for your help, Mathieu. I hate user guides ...

MultiTerm 7 doesn't offer a "Package/delete" function. It says "Package/detach" instead. When I select the termbase to be deleted and check "Detach termbase", I get a message that says, "The selected termbase has xxx entries. Are you sure you want to do this?"

If I say that, yes, I'm sure I want to do this, does that then mean that the termba
... See more
Thanks very much for your help, Mathieu. I hate user guides ...

MultiTerm 7 doesn't offer a "Package/delete" function. It says "Package/detach" instead. When I select the termbase to be deleted and check "Detach termbase", I get a message that says, "The selected termbase has xxx entries. Are you sure you want to do this?"

If I say that, yes, I'm sure I want to do this, does that then mean that the termbase has been deleted permanently? Or is it just hidden away somewhere?

If they mean "delete", why do they write "detach"? Please enlighten me. Thanks again.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:07
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Thank you, Mathieau, Aug 8, 2008

For a long I had been wanting to delete some multiterm databases that I had created while learning to use the programme, but never knew how to do it. Like LittleBalu, I too have an aversion for manuals, perhaps because we share the same nickname (Balu)!

With your tips I was able to clean my system of these unwanted databases and am quite pleased about it. Thank you very much, again.

Mathieu Jacquet
France
English to French
My two cents Aug 8, 2008

Well I am no Multiterm expert but in my view they say "detach" and not "delete" because you're not really deleting your termbase but only deleting a local loading of data included in a termbase.

You're actually deleting the envelope that contains imported data (data that are the result of a conversion or extraction, and stored in xml format in a terminology data file).

Maybe an expert could explain that better than I do.

Mathieu.

Mathieu Jacquet
France
English to French
And I love user guides... Aug 8, 2008

...because I also write them !

Ulrike Kraemer
Ulrike Kraemer
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Mathieu Aug 19, 2008

Mathieu Jacquet wrote:

Well I am no Multiterm expert but in my view they say "detach" and not "delete" because you're not really deleting your termbase but only deleting a local loading of data included in a termbase.

You're actually deleting the envelope that contains imported data (data that are the result of a conversion or extraction, and stored in xml format in a terminology data file).

Maybe an expert could explain that better than I do.

Mathieu.

They say "detach" but mean "delete". I tried it, and the termbases are, indeed, deleted permanently. You solved my problem, and I didn't have to read the user guide. Thanks a lot.

Best wishes,
LB

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm 7 - How to delete termbases?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »