John Romanski
John Romanski
United States
Local time: 21:14
Member (2003)
Italian to English
+ ...
Aug 9, 2008

I am about to switch from Trados 6.5 + Office 2003 combination to Trados 7 + Office 2007 combination, but before I do that I want to make sure that Trados 7 is fully compatible with Office 2007 (especially with Word 2007). Various opinions previously posted on the Internet are non-conclusive and some people openly state that they are not compatible, while others claim the opposite. Opinion from experts or experienced users of both softwares would be most welcome.
Jan Romanski

Yana Bukharova
Yana Bukharova  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 00:14
English to Russian
+ ...
It is really compatible Aug 9, 2008

Hi! I personally work with SDL Trados 2007 + Windows Vista + MS Office 2007. So, I can state authoritatively that it is really working and Office 2007 is fully compatible with Trados 2007. Ohhhhh, I've just understood that you mean Trados 7, and SDL Trados 2007 is Trados 8! Sorry, my comment is useless. But you can use SDL Trados 2007 instead of Trados 7... See more
Hi! I personally work with SDL Trados 2007 + Windows Vista + MS Office 2007. So, I can state authoritatively that it is really working and Office 2007 is fully compatible with Trados 2007. Ohhhhh, I've just understood that you mean Trados 7, and SDL Trados 2007 is Trados 8! Sorry, my comment is useless. But you can use SDL Trados 2007 instead of Trados 7!
Regards,
Yana
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:14
Dutch to English
+ ...
Compatible Aug 10, 2008

I have installed Translator's Workbench/SDLX, Version 8.0 Freelance (Build 835) and Office 2007 and they are fully compatible. I am very happy with everything and the installation did not meet with any hitches whatsoever. TagEditor is a lot more user-friendly in this version.

Anna Villegas
Anna Villegas
Mexico
Local time: 22:14
English to Spanish
Trados "7" not compatible with Office 2007 Aug 10, 2008

SDL Trados 2007 + MS Office 2007 = Are compatible.

SDL Trados 8.0 Freelance (Build 835) + Office 2007 = Are compatible.

SDL Trados 7 needs Office 2003. (Trados 7 and Trados 2007 are not the same.)

Hint: Keep Office 2003, switch to Trados 7, and be happy.

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 09:44
Keep both versions of both programs if possible Aug 10, 2008

Before switching over, I would advise you to keep both versions on your machine and try a mix and match approach. Unfortunately, Trados and Word can throw up some very nasty surprises, especially if you add in an upgrade to Windows Vista.

One way to do this would be to install the new versions in new locations on your machine. Before installation, make a copy of the Windows Registry. Make sure to export the Windows Registry before you add the new versions. Or set a system checkpoin
... See more
Before switching over, I would advise you to keep both versions on your machine and try a mix and match approach. Unfortunately, Trados and Word can throw up some very nasty surprises, especially if you add in an upgrade to Windows Vista.

One way to do this would be to install the new versions in new locations on your machine. Before installation, make a copy of the Windows Registry. Make sure to export the Windows Registry before you add the new versions. Or set a system checkpoint so you can roll back to the earlier versions should you choose to.

[Edited at 2008-08-10 07:31]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Office 2007 - Trados 7 compatibility

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »