Trados 7.5: segmentation rules, whitespace, two, hard space
Thread poster: nic456
nic456
Local time: 16:02
English to German
+ ...
Aug 11, 2008

I am using Trados 7.5 and my work stalls at the moment ever since I I have to face an English text with a double space (rather than a single space) after a full stop.

Workbench File > Setup > Segmentation Rules tab
allows to indicate the whitespaces: select Full Stop next to the delete button and in the Rule section in the top right corner replace 1 with 2 in the box for "Trailing Whitespaces". Done. Clicked on OK, etc. However, when I open the document in Tag Editor, every full stop is followed by a degree sign and a space. The result is that an entire paragraph is concatenated, which nullifies most of the benefits of the CAT tool.

The shortcuts Ctrl + ALT + page up/down no longer work. I have also closed both WB and TE and restarted them, no difference. Nor a complete restart of the PC.

Of course, I can make a search in TE's online help, but the information is a bit less detailed than the pdf document provided.

Had a look at www.translationzone.com, no luck.

I am at the end of my tether. Any suggestions much appreciated.

[Edited at 2008-08-12 09:18]

[Edited at 2008-08-12 13:20]

[Edited at 2008-08-12 13:34]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-13 01:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 17:02
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
"every full stop is followed by a degree sign and a space. " Aug 11, 2008

It's a long shot ... But could it be that your full stop and two spaces is actually full stop, a space and a hard space?. What I mean by hard space is the special kind of blank (between say 15 and mm, like 15°mm) to make it one not-to-be-separated unit. The hard space shows up like °, if you turn on the display of special characters.

So when you change the rule full stop and and space to full stop and 2 x space, there's no end to the segment on full stops., Eventually/at the latest I guess the paragraph rule hits. And you have lines and lines of text as one single segment - crazy.

Easy to check, turn on the special characters display.

[EDIT]The second paragraph above does not make much sense. Why? Because the segmentation rule "break on full stop and a space" does not apply from the very beginning. Instead of changing the rule (unsuccessfully) to "full stop and 2 x space", I would try to implement "full stop, ° and a blank" rule. If I had time and nerves (g).

[Edited at 2008-08-12 08:14]

Stefan de Boeck  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
non breaking space (Word) Aug 11, 2008

every full stop is followed by a degree sign and a space

°: that's a "non breaking space", or how it shows up in Word.

I'd remove these rotters in a nice single sweep (in Word).

The more careful approach is replacing them by an ordinary space (Trados won't mind).

nic456
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
  find and replace, Word vs Tag Editor and html files Aug 12, 2008

Good morning,

Many thanks for your replies.

As a result, I have noticed that
- in Tag Editor there is a button next to the € button in the toolbar for   [shortcut Ctrl + Shift + spacebar] for indeed non-breakable space.

- in Word you need to tick the box all in Tools > Options > View tab for the section Formatting marks.
You can indeed copy the mark, make search, select replace all and the entire document is workable again.

Unfortunately, I am using Tag Editor and the originals are html files.

Again, View > Show code page will display the text and html tags and plenty of    

To edit it, File > Save As, and save the document as a txt file.
Open the txt file in Notepad and go to Edit > Replace (Ctrl + H)
Works smoothly like in Word.
Save File, save file as htm. Or simply close file and change file extension.

I am awaiting confirmation on how the double space is entered. In the meantime, is there no quicker alternative for html files? If anyone has got a clue, I'd be most obliged.

Thanks again!

nic456
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
written in browser/Word Aug 12, 2008

Hello again,

FYI, It has been confirmed that the text is written in either Word or in Internet Explorer, so Trados is not to blame!

Vito, I have had a closer look at your suggestion: if you cannot change the error, try find a workaround adapting the rule. Fair point!

WBench
File > Setup > Segmentation Rules tab
Radio button on the left, end rules active.
This gives a default list of 5 end rules: full stop, tab, colon, marks, end of para.
You can delete items from the list or add new items. If you add one, you may call it however you want, but the stop characters available (drop-down list in the section rule with 3 tickboxes to the left and one to the right) does NEVER change, regardless of the end rule or skip rule.

As far as I can tell Trados does not allow you to customise the stop character list available for end rules and skip rules.

[Edited at 2008-08-12 15:42]

Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
hint: non breaking space in Word's find and replace Aug 12, 2008

is entered as ^s - ... similar as ^p for the hard return etc -. So you do not need to go via notepad (omegad...)

And of course, you are always welcome to the OmegaT corner. We'll know how to handle an extra segmentation rule (g).

nic456
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
segmentation rules Trados vs SDLX Aug 14, 2008

Vito,

I will have a closer look at OmegaT in October, promised. Not quite sure what I could contribute, and if at all, it would depend on what I will take on in autumn.

FYI, segmentation rules can be edited with regular expressions in SDLX (but not in Trados). It is recommended (naturally) not to create one from scratch but to save a setting with a different name and modify it.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados 7.5: segmentation rules, whitespace, two, hard space

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs