Mobile menu

Trados. how to make the source text disappear
Thread poster: catttrina
catttrina
Local time: 02:09
English to Russian
Aug 12, 2008

I am just starting to work in Trados and I have a question.
After I have translated a text segment in Trados it is saved in the text both in the source language and in the target language, while the target text should substitute the source text, as far as I understand. How can I make the source text disappear?
Please, give advice.
Thanks.

[Edited at 2008-08-12 07:37]

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:09
English to German
+ ...
Search the forum for "hidden text" Aug 12, 2008

Hi "catttrina",
This has been discussed on several occasions in this forum: please search for "hidden text".

Unfortunately, you did not specifiy the file format you're working in - assuming it's Word, you should not hide the source segments whilst translating, given the risk of damaging tags.

Before working with Trados, you should familiarise yourself with the relevant workflows - refer to the Trados File Formats Reference Guide, which is installed with the software.

Best regards,
Ralf

Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 01:09
Partial member
English to Greek
+ ...
Clean-up Aug 12, 2008

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you mean after having finished the translation, you want to restore the original, non-bilingual format of the file, but this time only translation.

Go to Workbench, Menu, Tools, Clean up. You then have to add the file which you have just translated. Click on Clean up and you will get the translated-only version of the file. After Clean-up, you will see in the folder where you keep your translation that there has been created a .BAK file. This is now the bilingual file. Your final work is now original-free.

At this step, you also have to create a .log file, but I'm afraid I can't remember how to do it. Maybe some other colleague can help you there.

Regards,
Eleni

Siegfried Armbruster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 00:09
Member (2004)
English to German
+ ...
How can I make the source text disappear? Easy Aug 12, 2008

Select/mark it with the mouse and hit the DEL key and it is gone.

Reading the Trados user manuals might give you other options for this task.

hlodomir
English to Russian
log file Aug 13, 2008

Eleni Makantani wrote:

Hello,

If I understand correctly, you mean after having finished the translation, you want to restore the original, non-bilingual format of the file, but this time only translation.

Go to Workbench, Menu, Tools, Clean up. You then have to add the file which you have just translated. Click on Clean up and you will get the translated-only version of the file. After Clean-up, you will see in the folder where you keep your translation that there has been created a .BAK file. This is now the bilingual file. Your final work is now original-free.

At this step, you also have to create a .log file, but I'm afraid I can't remember how to do it. Maybe some other colleague can help you there.

Regards,
Eleni

The log file is created automatically after you have cleaned up the working file. To see it click on the button Log file, then View. The needed log file will be at the bottom of the list.

catttrina
Local time: 02:09
English to Russian
TOPIC STARTER
thanks. Aug 30, 2008

thank you all.

Siegfried Armbruster wrote:

Select/mark it with the mouse and hit the DEL key and it is gone.

thank you, Siegfried Armbruster, this is VERY helpful,
is this really the way YOU do it? )))

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados. how to make the source text disappear

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs