https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112520-installation_of_trados_on_2_computers.html

Installation of Trados on 2 computers?
Thread poster: Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:49
English to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2008

How can I install Trados Freelance 7.0 on a second computer? The support told me that this is possible but I don't know how to do it. As far as I know I have to return my licence in order to be able to install Trados. So that means that if I return my licence I can install Trados on a new computer, but it won't work on the one it has been installed before.

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 09:49
English to Greek
+ ...
What's the type of the licence? Aug 12, 2008

I used to have Trados 7 (moved to 2007 recently) which came with a soft licence key (that is, a .lic file). I simply copied and pasted the key on a flash disc and then copied it on my new (or second) computer. I never had to tell anyone about this.

Now I have 2007 and again I have activated the key (which is a code, this time) on both computers and it works just fine on both of them (I can even put them to work at the same time).

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Trados Freelance 7.0... Aug 12, 2008

Hello Martina,

Trados 7.0 can be run on two computers. Please install the software on your new computer as usual and then download the license file from the "My Licenses" section from your online SDL account.

We allow all our customers to use Trados on two computers, but not on the same network. Therefore you can download the license file a maximum of two times.

I hope this helps.

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:49
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
One of the best features Aug 12, 2008

SDL Support wrote:

We allow all our customers to use Trados on two computers, but not on the same network.

You might add that even if one had purchased two freelance licenses, they would not run on the same network.

From SDL point of view that must certainly be one of the best features... just imagine: without it, an Italian translator married to a Spanish one could work on Trados (with his own license) while his wife also worked on Trados (with her own license), sharing the same Internet connection.

I'm sure glad that for such situations SDL takes such good care of us and compels us to buy a professional license instead, so SDL can earn more money and use it wisely to develop a superior product, one in which, for example,

• the MSWord interface always works flawlessly, without messing up formatting,

• the concordance function can also be used to search on the target text, and
  • TagEditor offers rich search and replace functionality.

(Click here for more of the wonderful functionality not implememented in Trados).

Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI
Tomas Mosler, DipTrans IoLET MCIL MITI  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2008)
English to Czech
SITE LOCALIZER
inconsistence? Oct 28, 2008

We allow all our customers to use Trados on two computers, but not on the same network.

Gareth, why does it then say the following in Trados 2007 EULA?

"This Agreement permits Customer to use only one (1) copy of the Product at a time (in object code format only), on only one (1) workstation, terminal or other device (a “Workstation Computer”), solely for Customer’s internal business purposes. If Customer has purchased multiple licenses for the Product, then at any time Customer may have as many copies of the Product in use on a Workstation Computer as Customer has licenses; provided, however, that the total number of users (not the concurrent number of users) that are permitted to use the Product shall not exceed the number of licenses. The Product is “in use” on a Workstation Computer when it is loaded into the temporary memory (RAM), or installed into the permanent memory (hard drive, CD-ROM, or other storage device) of that Workstation Computer."

By this definition (last sentence), I take it that the simple fact of having Trados *installed* on two PCs (hard drive) make it that two copies of Trados are *used*, independent on whether they are not used - as one would understand the default meaning of "use" - concurrently etc.
Please could you explain to what extent is this actually binding? Thanks.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Installation of Trados on 2 computers?

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »