Thread poster: Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov
Valeri Serikov  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
English to Russian
+ ...
Aug 13, 2008

Hi all,

I searched the forums but did not find the answer.

SDL Trados Pro, Win XP. When trying to start SDL TagEditor it shows the dialog box, saying something like "TagEdtior has detected that Translator's Workbench is not runnig. Would you like to start it now?". When I press "Yes" it says "Attempt to connect to Translator's Workbench failed". I believe there is something with additional components like .NET or something. But is there a trick except for trying to rein
... See more
Hi all,

I searched the forums but did not find the answer.

SDL Trados Pro, Win XP. When trying to start SDL TagEditor it shows the dialog box, saying something like "TagEdtior has detected that Translator's Workbench is not runnig. Would you like to start it now?". When I press "Yes" it says "Attempt to connect to Translator's Workbench failed". I believe there is something with additional components like .NET or something. But is there a trick except for trying to reinstall it?

PS. No TTX files or whatever being open, just plain TagEditor.
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Local time: 12:09
try re-registering Aug 13, 2008

...just a guess

Åsa Campbell
Åsa Campbell  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 19:39
English to Swedish
Reboot? Aug 13, 2008

Hi,

I've had the same problem in the past and a reboot of the computer did the trick.

Sorry can't be of more help.

Åsa

english-germ (X)
english-germ (X)
English to German
+ ...
Same error Oct 22, 2008

Hello,

I also had this error altert "Attempt to open Workbench failed" (which brought me here).

I received this altert although my Workbench was already open and I tried to open a TTX in TagEditor. Same problem when attempting to open Workbench from the Word plug in.

Restarting my computer did not help anything.

I wonder why the error occurs, after I have been using the same installtion of TagEditor for years without problems.

I di
... See more
Hello,

I also had this error altert "Attempt to open Workbench failed" (which brought me here).

I received this altert although my Workbench was already open and I tried to open a TTX in TagEditor. Same problem when attempting to open Workbench from the Word plug in.

Restarting my computer did not help anything.

I wonder why the error occurs, after I have been using the same installtion of TagEditor for years without problems.

I did not find a solution on SDL website, probably they do not want to admit that there is a problem with their software, although many people described to have this error.

The problem is, I would reinstall Trados but there seems to be no more free version available.

Does anyone have the link to download the free trial of Trados?
Collapse

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Free version? Oct 22, 2008

english-german wrote:

The problem is, I would reinstall Trados but there seems to be no more free version available.

I remember the times when the ancient Trados 3 was available for free but this is already long past. If you have purchased Trados, you should have no problems reinstalling it. If you have downloaded a cracked version from some P2P network, don't ask for help.

Anyway, what Lutz meant was not reinstalling but re-registering, i.e. running the SelfRegister.bat file located in your Trados installation folder.

Hope this helps.

english-germ (X)
english-germ (X)
English to German
+ ...
no crack Oct 24, 2008

Stanislav Pokorny wrote:

english-german wrote:

I remember the times when the ancient Trados 3 was available for free but this is already long past. If you have purchased Trados, you should have no problems reinstalling it. If you have downloaded a cracked version from some P2P network, don't ask for help.

Anyway, what Lutz meant was not reinstalling but re-registering, i.e. running the SelfRegister.bat file located in your Trados installation folder.

Hope this helps.

This is a free demo version and not a crack.

Trados 2006 was available in a free trial version with limited functionalities, e.g. small TM size and no export features.

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Trial Oct 24, 2008

Yes, I understand. You forgot to mention the important word "trial".

Artur Chmielewski (X)
Artur Chmielewski (X)
Germany
German to Polish
+ ...
I still cannot solve the problem of "Attempt to start Translator’s Workbench failed" Apr 6, 2009

Hello everybody,

I am running Windows XP, Trados 7 Freelance, and Word 2003. I have the same problem:

1) TagEditor:
- when trying to start TagEditor it shows the dialog box saying: "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench failed".
- the same error message appears when I try to connect TagEditor to Workbench which was opened first

2) MS Word 2003:
- I open Workbench first, and then the Word document to be translated. When I try to open a s
... See more
Hello everybody,

I am running Windows XP, Trados 7 Freelance, and Word 2003. I have the same problem:

1) TagEditor:
- when trying to start TagEditor it shows the dialog box saying: "Attempt to start Translator's Workbench failed".
- the same error message appears when I try to connect TagEditor to Workbench which was opened first

2) MS Word 2003:
- I open Workbench first, and then the Word document to be translated. When I try to open a segment on the Word plug in, I get the following error message: “Trados Translator’s Workbench is not running”. So the tool bar is loaded in Word (add-ins are located correctly) but the Workbench can't be started.

To sum up:
- TagEditor and Word have lost connection to Workbench.

I have already tried to carry out the following procedures:
- I have reinstalled Trados for several times – it did not help
- a reboot of the computer did not solved the problem
- I tried to register Trados components again (Start menu -> Programs -> Trados 7.0 Freelance -> Register Trados 7.0 Freelance) – in vain
- I always log in with administrator’s rights – it doesn’t seem to matter

What else could I do? Please let me know. Everything has been running smoothly so far. I have no idea what happened.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Artur
Collapse

Hajnalka Kis
Hajnalka Kis  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2009)
German to Hungarian
+ ...
Windows Vista + Trados 7 Freelance, tageditor launch workbench Sep 10, 2009

Hi,

I tried all of your ideas.

What I did, was:

- reboot
- register trados components with administrator rights (right click on the "Register" --> as administrator)
- launched Tageditor, and IT WORKED!

I hope, you'll have the same experience,

Michael Watson
Michael Watson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
Member (2006)
German to English
+ ...
Need to be logged on with an administrator account Nov 10, 2009

Windows XP/Trados 8.

I found this thread by searching for "Attempt to connect to translator's workbench failed".

You need to be logged on to Windows with an administrator account. I changed my account to a limited accound as I understand this is better from a security point of view (malware or malicious software cannot run or install some software without administrator priviledges). Unfortunately TagEditor then stopped connecting to Workbench. After changing back to adm
... See more
Windows XP/Trados 8.

I found this thread by searching for "Attempt to connect to translator's workbench failed".

You need to be logged on to Windows with an administrator account. I changed my account to a limited accound as I understand this is better from a security point of view (malware or malicious software cannot run or install some software without administrator priviledges). Unfortunately TagEditor then stopped connecting to Workbench. After changing back to administrator priviledges there was no problem..

Apparently then this is a requirement for TagEditor/Trados connection, which is unfortunate from a security point of view... I don't know if there is a workaround or if SDL could resolve the problem...
Collapse

Doron Greenspan MITI
Doron Greenspan MITI  Identity Verified
Israel
Member (2005)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Another solution that WORKED - Repair Jan 10, 2010

I had this problem where Trados 2007 Suite's Workbench didn't open in Vista, and none of the above solutions worked.

So, angrily, I decided to simply uninstall/reinstall, but then had an intuition to try "Repair" first.

In 'Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall or Change a Program', when you right-click the line 'Trados Suite 2007', you can select "Repair".

It took a couple of minutes, but after it ended, TW opened as if there was no tomorrow...

God
... See more
I had this problem where Trados 2007 Suite's Workbench didn't open in Vista, and none of the above solutions worked.

So, angrily, I decided to simply uninstall/reinstall, but then had an intuition to try "Repair" first.

In 'Control Panel/Programs/Uninstall or Change a Program', when you right-click the line 'Trados Suite 2007', you can select "Repair".

It took a couple of minutes, but after it ended, TW opened as if there was no tomorrow...

God only knows why this happened in the first place, but I'll let it rest for a while.

Good luck, Doron

[Edited at 2010-01-10 10:34 GMT]
Collapse

Sergey Sukhoviy
Sergey Sukhoviy  Identity Verified
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
Thank you very much! May 25, 2013

Hajnalka Kis wrote:

- register trados components with administrator rights (right click on the "Register" --> as administrator)
- launched Tageditor, and IT WORKED!

Hi, Hajnalka Kis,

It REALLY worked!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Attempt to connect to Translator's Workbench failed

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »