Thread poster: Marga Shaw
Marga Shaw
Marga Shaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
Aug 13, 2008

I am trying to find out for my wife how to use Trados by using her old version of the program - Trados 5.5 Freelance - which she has had for a long time but not actually used (as a preliminary to possibly purchasing the current version) by setting it up on my computer. I have got it to recognise the parallel port dongle by installing a PCI parallel port card (my computer did not have a parallel port) but cannot get the program to work because of a problem with the Trados template file for Word.<... See more
I am trying to find out for my wife how to use Trados by using her old version of the program - Trados 5.5 Freelance - which she has had for a long time but not actually used (as a preliminary to possibly purchasing the current version) by setting it up on my computer. I have got it to recognise the parallel port dongle by installing a PCI parallel port card (my computer did not have a parallel port) but cannot get the program to work because of a problem with the Trados template file for Word.

After installation I set about finding out how to use the Trados program using the sample tutorial files. I got as far as having the translation memory and Word open with the sample file resaved as 'sample-ge.doc' (for English-German translation) and the two windows conveniently arranged.

This is where the problem arose. Clicking on the Open/Get button in the Trados toolbar produced an error message that the template was not current, that it was TW4Win2k.dot or earlier and that this should be removed and replaced with TRADOS5.dot. This is very puzzling indeed. I have not of course had a still earlier version of Trados on my computer and the template file installed is called TRADOS5.dot, so it looks as though the template file I have is behaving like TW4Win2k.dot even though it is called TRADOS5.dot. So I cannot get Trados 5.5 to work after all.

I am using Word 2003, not any of the earlier versions referred to in the Trados documentation, but the handling of templates seems similar to earlier versions of Word. It was necessary to install the template manually by copying it from the location in the Trados program files folders to the Template folder for Word and so on because the location for this is different and the old Trados could not locate it. But once that was done I think it ought to have worked.

It does rather look as though the TRADOS5.dot template is in fact at fault - we have not previously tried to use the program so would not have picked this up before. The version of the TRADOS5.dot file we have is dated 14/2/2002, time stamped 14:30 and has a size of 303 KB.

Please may I ask if anyone has an answer to this? Trados (SDL) no longer support this version of the program so I can't ask them.

Any help would be much appreciated as I still can not use our Trados 5.5 Freelance program, despite the efforts getting the parallel port dongle to work on my computer by using a PCI parallel card.

Regards,

Derek Shaw.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:56
English to German
+ ...
T5.x does not support Office 2003 Aug 13, 2008

Hi Derek,

I am using Word 2003, not any of the earlier versions referred to in the Trados documentation, but the handling of templates seems similar to earlier versions of Word. It was necessary to install the template manually by copying it from the location in the Trados program files folders to the Template folder for Word and so on because the location for this is different and the old Trados could not locate it. But once that was done I think it ought to have worked.

It does rather look as though the TRADOS5.dot template is in fact at fault - we have not previously tried to use the program so would not have picked this up before. The version of the TRADOS5.dot file we have is dated 14/2/2002, time stamped 14:30 and has a size of 303 KB.

IIRC support for Office 2003 was introduced with Trados 6.5.
The handling of templates is indeed similar to Word 2000, for example, but the macro language changed.

To me, it looks like you will need to upgrade Trados or downgrade Office.

Best regards,
Ralf

Marga Shaw
Marga Shaw  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:56
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Template problem trying to use old Trados 5.5 Freelance, thanks for reply Aug 13, 2008

[quote]Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Derek,

I
IIRC support for Office 2003 was introduced with Trados 6.5.
The handling of templates is indeed similar to Word 2000, for example, but the macro language changed.

To me, it looks like you will need to upgrade Trados or downgrade Office.

Best regards,
Ralf

Hi Ralf,

Thank you for your prompt reply. I had already suspected something like that since I could not see that I had been doing anything wrong.

It is interesting what you say about the macro language. It cannot though be entirely incompatible because all the macros I had recorded, to make working quicker, in Word 97 (the version of Word that I had previously used on my old computer) and assigned to toolbar buttons (including custom drawn buttons) and which therefore modified the Normal.dot template, worked in 2003 by the simple step of copying the Normal.dot from Word 97 to the correct location for 2003 on my new computer.

I did need to customise the toolbars a bit as some procedures were no longer supported or done differently and so on but the recorded macros all worked.

After seeing your reply I searched this forum and found that a lot of people had encountered this problem and had wanted to use Trados5.5FL with Word 2003 when this started to take over from earlier versions. I would have thought therefore that Trados or someone would have created a new TRADOS5.dot that was compatible with Word 2003. But clearly Trados decided to force people to upgrade! Now, of course, it is no longer possible to get an upgrade price from version 5.5 - to get the latest version needs an expensive purchase at the full price.

Going back to an earlier version of Word is not an option. Microsoft already regard 2003 as out-of-date and are pushing the 2007 version, despite this getting a very mixed reception.

Regards,

Derek Shaw.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 09:56
English to German
+ ...
More complex macros Aug 13, 2008

Hi again,

It is interesting what you say about the macro language. It cannot though be entirely incompatible because all the macros I had recorded, to make working quicker, in Word 97 (the version of Word that I had previously used on my old computer) and assigned to toolbar buttons (including custom drawn buttons) and which therefore modified the Normal.dot template, worked in 2003 by the simple step of copying the Normal.dot from Word 97 to the correct location for 2003 on my new computer.

Although technically, the Word/Workbench integration is based on macros, this is far more complex than self-recorded macros. I'm not fully familiar with all technical details, of course, but there were changes to the file/macro/data structure in Office 2003.

After seeing your reply I searched this forum and found that a lot of people had encountered this problem and had wanted to use Trados5.5FL with Word 2003 when this started to take over from earlier versions. I would have thought therefore that Trados or someone would have created a new TRADOS5.dot that was compatible with Word 2003. But clearly Trados decided to force people to upgrade!

When T5.5 was developed, Word 2003 had not even been communicated (let alone its data model published) - hence, the templates developed at the time could not have anticipated later versions of Office.

Going back to an earlier version of Word is not an option.

...in which case you will need to use a later Trados version.

Microsoft already regard 2003 as out-of-date and are pushing the 2007 version, despite this getting a very mixed reception.

Indeed - which is why I bought several Office 2003 licenses (plus a couple of Win XP Pro licenses) when they were still on sale...

Best regards,
Ralf

[Edited at 2008-08-13 16:03]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Template problem trying to use old Trados 5.5 Freelance

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »