Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:02
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 13, 2008

Last week I recieved two jobs from a new end-client through an agency.
The files are XXX.rtf.ttx. They are xml-files originally.
During translation I noticed that in the text were lots of unnecessary tags, of the type
"dh" (cannot show the code here)

These are often in the middle of a word, and very often the same tag is repeated 2-5 times in a row.

I have done the translation by moving the tags to the end of the segments.
But there is coming more jobs from this client.

I wonder now, if I can change the extension to XX.rtf, open the file in Word and remove all these stupid tags, save and translate normally or if it is necessary that the client removes the tags.

The same happens rather often, dtp-files with linebreaks are a typical case.

Is there any danger that the client later may not be able to use the translated files from where I removed the superfluous tags?

What do you think?

Regards
Heinrich

[Bearbeitet am 2008-08-13 19:03]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxUSER0059  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 04:02
English to Finnish
+ ...
<tt><:dh></tt> is a discrete hyphen. Do not move it — <em>re</em>move it. Aug 13, 2008

Heinrich Pesch wrote:

During translation I noticed that in the text were lots of unnecessary tags, of the type
"dh" (cannot show the code here)

These are often in the middle of a word, and very often the same tag is repeated 2-5 times in a row.

I have done the translation by moving the tags to the end of the segments.
But there is coming more jobs from this client.

I wonder now, if I can change the extension to XX.rtf, open the file in Word and remove all these stupid tags, save and translate normally or if it is necessary that the client removes the tags.

The same happens rather often, dtp-files with linebreaks are a typical case.

Is there any danger that the client later may not be able to use the translated files from where I removed the superfluous tags?

Do you mean <:dh>? These tags indicate a discrete hyphen, in other words a hyphenation hint. I would not move them, but remove them from the translation, except for those instances that occur in words that are not translated (e.g. proper names).

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 03:02
German
+ ...
With Thor, BUT... Aug 14, 2008

...you should not open the file in Word (won't work as expected anyway). Remove the tags in TagEditor. Or, if you mean to weed them all out at once, use a plain text editor such as UltraEdit (recommended) or just plain Windows Notepad (slow).

HTH,
Benjamin

Uwe Schwenk
United States
Local time: 20:02
English to German
Removing Tags Aug 14, 2008

Before you remove any tags, I would recommend a quick check with the client and ask what application is ued for the final product.

Not having seen the file I am just guessing here but these could be FrameMaker files prepared with the FrameFilter. if you remove any tags, the clinet would not be able to convert back to Frame.

Uwe

tectranslate ITS GmbH
Local time: 03:02
German
+ ...
Not true Aug 14, 2008

Uwe Schwenk wrote:

Before you remove any tags, I would recommend a quick check with the client and ask what application is ued for the final product.

Not having seen the file I am just guessing here but these could be FrameMaker files prepared with the FrameFilter. if you remove any tags, the clinet would not be able to convert back to Frame.

Uwe

<:dh> tags can be added or removed without ill consequences.

The online help file of the S-Tagger for FrameMaker says:

The following internal tags may never be deleted in an STF file:

<:cnmk ?> Marker indicating presence of hidden conditional text
<:crmk ?> Cross-reference marker
<:cns "xxx" ?> Conditional text style xxx
<:/cns> Closing tag for conditional text style
<:fmk1 ?> Header/footer marker 1
<:fmk2 ?> Header/footer marker 2
<:fn ?> Footnote reference marker
<:hmk ?> Hypertext marker
<:iaf ?> Art file with no callouts
<:ti ?> Text inset
<:/ti> End of text inset

Extract from S-Tagger for FrameMaker Help. Copyright (c) June 2005, TRADOS Inc.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Should I remove superfluous tags?

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs