https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112706-error_code_cursor_must_be_in_source_or_target_field.html

error code " cursor must be in source or target field"
Thread poster: Michele Gile
Michele Gile
Michele Gile  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 21:53
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 14, 2008

Hi, I am working in Trados 2008, working in a batch of word docs in rtf format and start having this error code coming up. I do have the cursor of course in the correct field, however it keeps jumping in the next senetnce whenever I try to close the segment. I am not able to close the segment and it now happend on 2 documents.

Any advise?

Ade Indarta
Ade Indarta  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:53
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
Does your document have complex layout? Aug 14, 2008

Hi Michele,

I once experienced the same problem when I was working with a document with complex layout (lots of pictures and tables). Maybe you can try to change the view into Normal view instead of Print Layout in the Word.

Regards,

Ade

Michele Gile
Canada
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
no its not the view Aug 14, 2008

I tried that, I only have 2 pages per document and lots of margins so I do not think that is it. I just can not get out of the segment...

Ade Indarta
Ade Indarta  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 08:53
Member (2007)
English to Indonesian
Try manually Aug 14, 2008

Have you tried to close the segment manually using macros?
Try Tools > Macros > Macros > TemplateProject.tw4winClose.Main > Run

Ade

[Edited at 2008-08-14 15:56]

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Local time: 03:53
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
switch to TagEditor Aug 14, 2008

it is known to be more robust in case of this kind of frantics.

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
I've seen this with text OCRed from PDF Aug 14, 2008

This sounds familiar to me. In my case, this happened when I got text that was extracted from a PDF by OCR process. In my case, I even got two target segment fields instead of one - I thought I was seeing double although I wasn't drunk.

I would go with Vito's suggestion. If you have an older version of Trados that is unable to convert Word documents to TTX format, then I think the best thing to do is to ask the client to give you a document format that is stable, such as unformatted
... See more
This sounds familiar to me. In my case, this happened when I got text that was extracted from a PDF by OCR process. In my case, I even got two target segment fields instead of one - I thought I was seeing double although I wasn't drunk.

I would go with Vito's suggestion. If you have an older version of Trados that is unable to convert Word documents to TTX format, then I think the best thing to do is to ask the client to give you a document format that is stable, such as unformatted text which you can then open in Word, but then the client will need to format it again once it is translated.

I would say the culprit is definitely the formatting of your source document. Nothing you can do about it, except maybe one thing. Check if the fonts used in the document are installed on your computer. If they aren't, tell the client you are switching the fonts to one that is already installed on your end. Sometimes, when you work with a document that comes with a "foreign" font, you get this kind of trouble.
Collapse

Michele Gile
Canada
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, its fixed Aug 14, 2008

Thanks so much for all your advise. It was a PDF and yes the client did the OCR and split the document. he of course wanted it in word doc format not in tag editor.....
I by-passed by doing the following:
went to draft view and shrank my segments - 2 hours later......I am limping along again

Stefan de Boeck (X)
Stefan de Boeck (X)  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
click in target Aug 14, 2008

Michele Gile wrote:
I am limping along again

if it happens again (as it's bound to) a simple click in the target field will get you going again, you know.
it's really the silliest error ever.

Michele Gile
Canada
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
it is not that simple... Aug 14, 2008

dear Stefan, thanks for your reply, if I could fix it like that I would have.....
that is a very simple solution but I would have not posted this problem if I could have fixed it like this
The cursor does not stay or in the target or source segment. that is why it is an error.

My original post stated that my error code was "cursor must be in source or target field". BUT Trados did not allow it...that is wh
... See more
dear Stefan, thanks for your reply, if I could fix it like that I would have.....
that is a very simple solution but I would have not posted this problem if I could have fixed it like this
The cursor does not stay or in the target or source segment. that is why it is an error.

My original post stated that my error code was "cursor must be in source or target field". BUT Trados did not allow it...that is why it needed to be by-passed.
Best
Michele
Collapse

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
"he wanted his eggs sunny side, but insisted <i>no electric oven</i> " Aug 14, 2008

he of course wanted it in word doc format not in tag editor.....

Doc is a file format. TagEditor is a program. You can translate doc files using TagEditor. Word is NOT the only program, that can handle a doc format (g).

[Edited at 2008-08-14 21:31]

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Alright, we'll cook it on a hot stone in the backyard then Aug 15, 2008

I guess what Vito really meant is that even if the client doesn't want to get a TTX file from you, Michele, you can still use it as long as the client can live with a cleaned Word file (as opposed to requiring a bilingual Word file). If you use TagEditor, you will obtain a bilingual TTX file - but then, you can clean that and still provide a target Word file to the client.

If the client really wants to get a bilingual Word file, then I'd say it's his/her business to provide you with
... See more
I guess what Vito really meant is that even if the client doesn't want to get a TTX file from you, Michele, you can still use it as long as the client can live with a cleaned Word file (as opposed to requiring a bilingual Word file). If you use TagEditor, you will obtain a bilingual TTX file - but then, you can clean that and still provide a target Word file to the client.

If the client really wants to get a bilingual Word file, then I'd say it's his/her business to provide you with a source file that can be processed using the CAT tool the client expects you will create the bilingual file with.

I mean, you can only go so far by foot...
Collapse

Michele Gile
Canada
Member (2008)
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
eggs benedict Aug 15, 2008

My client does not want ttx. files, that is why I am working in word and that is why I am having the error code and ask for help.

I always prefer tagEditor. I only work in Word if I have no choice so in this case the client wants me to work in word and I am doing it and ended up with this error.

Thanks you all so much for your help. I usually do not have a problem working in tageditor with any files.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

error code " cursor must be in source or target field"

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »