Boost your career as a professional translator!

Boost your career as a professional translator! SDL hosts a virtual conference featuring a selection of free resources to help grow your freelance business, as well as an update on the new features of the world’s most trusted translation software - SDL Trados Studio 2017

Click for Full Participation

Tag Editor Preview and QA tools
Thread poster: Maurice Devroye

Maurice Devroye
United States
Local time: 10:55
English to French
Aug 15, 2008

Hello,

Trying to fine-tune my TE settings, I have one problem to solve:

1. All 3 Preview options (Bilingual, Source, Target) are giving me this error message: "Navigation to the webpage was canceled". This may have to do with the fact that I am using Slimbrowser and not IE. Has anybody encountered this behavior?

Now, for the experts among us, a few questions:

2. Which segment verification level is the best if the number (or order) of tags differ between source and target segments (as when translating from EN into FR - for instance)?

3. TE offers various other verification plug-ins which can be used as QA tools. Tuomas Kostiainen of the NCTA made a presentation on this topic at the November 2007 ATA conference. Are you using any (and which ones) on a regular basis?

Thanks for your suggestion and/or helpful advice, especially regarding question#1 above.

[Edited at 2008-08-16 00:27]

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:55
French to Polish
+ ...
My personal opinion... Aug 15, 2008

Maurice Devroye wrote:

Trying to fine-tune my TE settings, I have one problem to solve:

1. All 3 Preview options (Bilingual, Source, Target) are giving me this error message: "Navigation to the webpage was canceled". This may have to do with the fact that I am using Slimbrowser and not IE. Has anybody encountered this behavior?

Yes.
So why I declare always IE as th default browser in Windows although I don't use it at all (I prefer Opera).

The TradosTag viewer plugin is active?
If not necessary, disable it.

Now, for the experts among us, a few questions:

2. Which segment verification level is the best if the number (or order) of tags differ between source and target segments (as when translating from EN into FR - for instance)?

I almost always use Strict.
If something is (or seems to be) wrong, I'm warned.
If I know what I'm doing, I can accept a "wrong" tagging and close the segment.
But it may be frequent for the EN-FR pair if the source text is heavily formatted.
So, if the formtting is not a problem, use Medium in order to speed up the job.

3. TE offers various other verification plug-ins which can be used as QA tools. Tuomas Kostiainen of the NCTA made a presentation on this topic at the November 2007 ATA conference. Are you using any (and which ones) on a regular basis?

The built-in TE plug-ins?
It depends of the file(s) I translate.
I think the generic tag verifier is a must.
I like the terminology verifier but it may be tricky with heavily inflected languages.
The QA checkers are interesting, the QA 2.0 has more options, especially related to the French ponctuation (spaces before !? etc.).
You only select the things you think useful, otherwise the hell may freeze.

Cheers
GG

[Edited at 2008-08-15 18:23]

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Suggestions Aug 15, 2008

1. I use SlimBrowser, too, and every time I try to preview something in TagEditor, it is IE that opens it. It does seem that, for some reason, either SlimBrowser is unable to display the preview, or more likely, SDL created the preview feature to be compatible with IE and nothing else.

2. I translate mostly from English to French, and I find the best setting is the one that checks the number of tags but doesn't check the order. I find that the order of tags needs to be changed more often than not when you translate into French, so you would get way too many false negatives if you used a setting that detects the order of tags.

3. I have tried most verification plug-ins. However, I still find that anything internal to TagEditor is way too rigid and hard to navigate. I use ApSic XBench instead. It is external, but is much more precise, gives you a lot more options and is more logical in my opinion. It can also check a bunch of documents together as opposed to the features built into TagEditor.

French to Polish
+ ...
Synergy... Aug 15, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

3. I have tried most verification plug-ins. However, I still find that anything internal to TagEditor is way too rigid and hard to navigate. I use ApSic XBench instead. It is external, but is much more precise, gives you a lot more options and is more logical in my opinion. It can also check a bunch of documents together as opposed to the features built into TagEditor. [/quote]

Personally, I hate Synergy but when you have multiple documents, it works.

PS.
Apsic XBench is great.

Cheers
GG

French to Polish
+ ...
Microsoft... Aug 15, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

1. I use SlimBrowser, too, and every time I try to preview something in TagEditor, it is IE that opens it. It does seem that, for some reason, either SlimBrowser is unable to display the preview, or more likely, SDL created the preview feature to be compatible with IE and nothing else.

MS owned approx. 20% of Trados shares... you see...

Cheers
GG

xxxJPW  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:55
Spanish to English
+ ...
Internet explorer only Aug 15, 2008

This is from the TWB User Guide, chapter 11:

Prerequisites

Before you start working with TRADOStag Viewer:

- Make sure that Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher is installed on your system.

- Make sure that the font Tahoma is installed on your system. Tahoma is the default font used to display text in Internet Explorer. The Tahoma font is available in all recent versions of Microsoft Windows.

- Make sure that you have the necessary style sheets for the documents you wish to preview.

French to Polish
+ ...
TE as a QA tool... Aug 15, 2008

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

2. I translate mostly from English to French, and I find the best setting is the one that checks the number of tags but doesn't check the order. I find that the order of tags needs to be changed more often than not when you translate into French, so you would get way too many false negatives if you used a setting that detects the order of tags.

I work mainly in DVX.
In mixed workflows, i.e. Trados->DVX->Trados.
For me, Tag Editor is rather a QA tool, so why I always select strict settings.

DVX gives me the incedible speed I don't need in TE.

Cheers
GG

Maurice Devroye
United States
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Question #1 answered Aug 16, 2008

Believe it or not, I had "forgotten" to activate the Tag Viewer plug-in... Now all 3 preview options are working and the browser used by TE is, of course, IE.

I can live with that as long as I am able to keep using Slimbrowser as the default Web browser. But GG's advice seems odd. Grzegorz, why would you disable the TradosTag viewer plug-in? Are you replacing it by something else?

For those of us (me included) who did not attend the ATA conference, here is the Kostiainen presentation entitled "Trados beyond the basics":

http://www.finntranslations.com/Trados_Beyond_the_Basics_3_handout_v2_Tuomas_Kostiainen.pdf

Thanks for your time.

[Edited at 2008-08-16 15:22]

French to Polish
+ ...
Disabling Trados Tag viewer... Aug 16, 2008

Maurice Devroye wrote:

Believe it or not, I had "forgotten" to activate the Tag Viewer plugin... Now all 3 preview options are working and the browser used by TE is, of course, IE.

I can live with that as long as I am able to keep using Slimbrowser as the default Web browser. But GG's advice seems odd. Grzegorz, why would you disable the TradosTag viewer plugin? Are you replacing it by something else?

Because, for an unknown reason, it doesn't work on some machines and you have no preview at all.
In this case, when you disable it, you have at least the IE/external preview.

For those of us (me included) who did not attend the ATA conference, here is the Kostiainen presentation entitled "Trados beyond the basics":

http://www.finntranslations.com/Trados_Beyond_the_Basics_3_handout_v2_Tuomas_Kostiainen.pdf

Thanks

Cheers
GG

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
TradosTag viewer is for special purposes only Aug 16, 2008

When you work with Excel, Powerpoint or Word, you don't need this plugin, as the file will be displayed in the target application.
For applications like Framemaker however, the preview goes to IE through the TradosTag viewer plugin.

Segment verification level is for me always strict, even if all other protections are switched off. Of course I do not translate anything into French, so I accept there are differences in that language, but otherwise I would recommend keeping it at strict level. You will certainly not work with the "view full tag content" setting in InDesign files for example, as then you wouldn't see the text between those huge tags. But when the tag view is set to "partial", you are likely to miss some of them - because they may have changed. So the strict verification is the best option for me.

The QA tools in Tageditor are easy to use, fast and already present. This is why I use them very often. I do not need to switch to another application and can check the file before producing target. If I want to use many options, I just use the tools one by one rather than all at once.

María Angélica Fernández  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 11:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
It worked for me!!! Jul 11, 2009

Maurice Devroye wrote:

Believe it or not, I had "forgotten" to activate the Tag Viewer plug-in... Now all 3 preview options are working and the browser used by TE is, of course, IE.

I can live with that as long as I am able to keep using Slimbrowser as the default Web browser. But GG's advice seems odd. Grzegorz, why would you disable the TradosTag viewer plug-in? Are you replacing it by something else?

Thanks for your time.

[Edited at 2008-08-16 15:22]

Dear Maurice:

The link you provided helped me in solving the preview problem I had with TagEditor.
In my case, I had to disable the TradosTag viewer plug-in.

Many thanks!

Angélica

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag Editor Preview and QA tools

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums