SDLX: [no server]
Thread poster: Lorena Riquelme

Lorena Riquelme  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:51
English to Spanish
Aug 17, 2008

Hi,

After reinstalling SDL Trados 2007, I am now checking every feature works fine. And I have found that Trados works perfectly, but SDLX does not.

On top of he window SDLX Switchboard appears "SDLX: [no server]". Then after converting a .doc file to the .itd file, I can't see the file on the two columns to start translating. I can't either use the Help feature because a message says it cannot be executed.

What can I do? Is there a problem with reinstallation?

Please, help.

Thanks a lot.

Regards,

Lorena

Direct link Reply with quote

Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:51
French to Polish
+ ...
A centralized approach and some mess in the programming... Aug 17, 2008

Lorena Riquelme wrote:

After reinstalling SDL Trados 2007, I am now checking every feature works fine. And I have found that Trados works perfectly, but SDLX does not.

On top of he window SDLX Switchboard appears "SDLX: [no server]".

You have no SDLX server, I suppose
It's normal, don't worry.
SDL promotes a centralized, server based translation management, if you're connected to a server, the server name is displayed.
The message displayed in the stand alone mode may be confusing when you see it for the first time but all is OK.

Then after converting a .doc file to the .itd file, I can't see the file on the two columns to start translating.

It happens sometimes.
Just apply a TM (SDL Edit, Translation Memory, Apply), you should see the grid.

I can't either use the Help feature because a message says it cannot be executed.

Vista?
SDLX still uses the legacy help format.
The support for the HLP files was dropped in Vista.
You can add it manually.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/917607

BTW (1)
For security reasons, some help macros were disabled in Win XP SP2, as I remember, so you may have this kind of message but it doesn't affect the essential help functionnalities.

BTW (2)
Imagine the mess the SDL programmers have.
They are simply unaware the files they provide simply don't work out of the box on a plain vanilla Vista.
Vista was released on November 2006...

What can I do? Is there a problem with reinstallation?

I don't think so.

Cheers
GG

Lorena Riquelme  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 07:51
English to Spanish
TOPIC STARTER
Hi Grzegorz... Aug 18, 2008

Thanks for your reply.

I did what you told me to do and I can see the grid but not the file to translate. That is, the grid is empty. It is always empty

I have Windows Vista and Office 2007.

Sandrine Zérouali  Identity Verified
Algeria
Local time: 13:51
Member (2008)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Windows XP Apr 15, 2010

Can you tell me how to have SDLX with "server". I have the same message sdlx [no server].
I tried to create a translation and I have the following message : "failed to create translation file" I don't know if there any relation with the fact that SDLX is not connecting to a server?

Thank you in advance for your answer.

SDL Community  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:51
English
SDLX User Forum Apr 15, 2010

Hi Sandrine,

I know there are a lot of experienced SDLX users in here too, but you might find more help with SDLX here;

http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/sdlx/

They are very helpful and work only with SDLX.

Regards

Paul

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

SDLX: [no server]

Advanced search

Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs