Thread poster: Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:14
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 19, 2008

I am using Windows Vista with Trados 7 tageditor and Office 2003, word spell checker does not load in tageditor.

Windows Vista came with a trial office 2007, which I couldn't uninstall properly since it required the installation CD. I installed office 2003 and I think there are some conflicts.

The worst thing is that I can not use the spell checker in tageditor, I get this message when opening tageditor or when trying to select it in Tools>Plug-Ins:

-The "W
... See more
I am using Windows Vista with Trados 7 tageditor and Office 2003, word spell checker does not load in tageditor.

Windows Vista came with a trial office 2007, which I couldn't uninstall properly since it required the installation CD. I installed office 2003 and I think there are some conflicts.

The worst thing is that I can not use the spell checker in tageditor, I get this message when opening tageditor or when trying to select it in Tools>Plug-Ins:

-The "Word Spelling Checker" plug-in was not loaded

Now I have to copy the files to my old XP each time I want to run the spellchecker, which is obviously time consumming.

Did it happen to anyone?

Thx.

Luis
Collapse

Alexey Ivanov
Alexey Ivanov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 04:14
English to Russian
Check which spelchecker is selected Aug 19, 2008

It happened to me too with Windows Vista and SDL Trados 2007 and MS Office 2007. Select Menu>Tools>Plug-ins>Spell Checking, and select either "Microsoft Word Spelling Checker 2.0" or "Word spelling Checker" and change to the othe, if the first selection doesn't work. In my case "Word Spelling Checker" works.

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 06:44
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Trados 7 and earlier versions won't work in Vista Aug 20, 2008

I have Trados 7.5 and I had the same problem. Trados and Tag Editor were not working with Word 2007. When I wrote to the Trados people, they said version 7 and earlier are not compatible with Vista. There was a patch available, but it is pricey, some 300 dollars or so! You can check it out from the Trados website.

Finally I removed Vista and MS Office 2007 and reinstalled XP and MSOffice 2003 and everything is fine as before, and I saved the 300 dollars too!

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Alexey and Balasubramaniam Aug 20, 2008

-I am using Trados 7.0 (with office 2003) and I do not get the options you mentioned, just Wintertree and Word spell checker, the combination works fine in XP but not in Vista.

-Actually Trados 7.0 does work in Vista, at least with Office 2003, this is the only problem I have had so far.

Thank you both again, I will have to do the same as Balasubramaniam and install XP, I hope it works in my laptop.

Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:14
English to Norwegian
+ ...
You can use SDLX Aug 21, 2008

Hi,

I've found this bug to be most annoying, but most files can be opened in SDLX where you can use the same spellchecker. I'm not sure about saving the file afterwards (I always ask the client first if I'm not sure about possible corrupted files), but hopefully there should only be a few spelling errors that you can simply write down in notepad and fix them in TagEditor later.

Luis M. Cuerdo Galarraga
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Mari! Aug 22, 2008

You trick does the job until I have the time to install XP. You saved me some time!

Luis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

TagEditor-Word spell checker not working in Vista

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »