Which upgrade version should I choose?
Thread poster: Hanne Aas
Hanne Aas  Identity Verified
Norway
Local time: 10:07
English to Norwegian
Aug 19, 2008

Hi,

I want to upgrade Trados. My current version is Trados Workbench 7.5.0.759. I am wondering which of the two options below I should choose. The reason I wonder is it says “Part of SDL Trados 2006” below the version number in the "About SDL Trados ..." dialog box.

Upgrade from SDL Trados 2006 Freelance to SDL Trados 2007 Freelance

Upgrade from TRADOS 7 Freelance to SDL Trados 2007 Freelance

Hanne

Direct link Reply with quote

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Explanation Aug 19, 2008

Have you tried asking SDL directly? If not, why? They should be more than happy to assist you, considering that you're trying to buy something from them.

Anyway,

SDL Trados 2006 is Trados 7.5 (=the version you're using).
Versions prior to that, like 7.1 and 7.0, are different from SDL Trados 2006.

HTH,
Benjamin

Norway
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
No response from SDL ... Aug 19, 2008

tectranslate wrote:

Have you tried asking SDL directly? If not, why? They should be more than happy to assist you, considering that you're trying to buy something from them.

Anyway,

SDL Trados 2006 is Trados 7.5 (=the version you're using).
Versions prior to that, like 7.1 and 7.0, are different from SDL Trados 2006.

HTH,
Benjamin

Actually, I tried asking them directly by filling out a form, but they never got back to me ...

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:07
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDL Trados 2007 Freelance Aug 19, 2008

Hi Hanne,

You will upgrade from SDL Trados 2006 Freelance to SDL Trados 2007 Freelance.
But are you sure that your version is SDL Trados 2006? I have looked at your profile page in which you state that you have Trados 6.5 (Freelance version).

Another point is that upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 does not include SDL MultiTerm Extract and SDL PhraseFinder (asked this to SDL). But it is included in Group Buy http://www.proz.com/tgb/191

I really can not understand the upgrade policy of SDL. I was planning to upgrade to 2007 but as SDL MultiTerm Extract & PhraseFinder is not included I will not upgrade.

[Edited at 2008-08-19 17:07]

tectranslate ITS GmbH
German
+ ...
Sounds like SDL alright... Aug 19, 2008

Hanne Aas wrote:

Actually, I tried asking them directly by filling out a form, but they never got back to me ...

<sigh> Good old SDL.

Norway
English to Norwegian
TOPIC STARTER
The reason for upgrading Aug 19, 2008

Selcuk Akyuz wrote:

Hi Hanne,

You will upgrade from SDL Trados 2006 Freelance to SDL Trados 2007 Freelance.
But are you sure that your version is SDL Trados 2006? I have looked at your profile page in which you state that you have Trados 6.5 (Freelance version).

Another point is that upgrade to SDL Trados 2007 does not include SDL MultiTerm Extract and SDL PhraseFinder (asked this to SDL). But it is included in Group Buy http://www.proz.com/tgb/191

I really can not understand the upgrade policy of SDL. I was planning to upgrade to 2007 but as SDL MultiTerm Extract & PhraseFinder is not included I will not upgrade.

[Edited at 2008-08-19 17:07]

Hi and thanks for answering. I guess I've upgraded my version since I wrote my profile! The reason why I thought it was time to upgrade, is I've just installed the Vista (and the latest Office pack), and someone told me the older versions of Trados won't work properly with Vista. Have no idea why SDL won't answer my questions. Maybe I haven't paid for support ...

Selcuk Akyuz  Identity Verified
Turkey
Local time: 12:07
Member (2006)
English to Turkish
+ ...
SDL Trados 2006 with Vista Aug 19, 2008

Hanne Aas wrote:

The reason why I thought it was time to upgrade, is I've just installed the Vista (and the latest Office pack), and someone told me the older versions of Trados won't work properly with Vista.

My configuration is Windows XP and Office 2003 with Trados 2006, but as far as I know (from the forums) Trados 2006 works without any problems on Vista.

But there are other reasons to upgrade, in particular new file formats (but only if you need them).

If you upgrade to 2007, please inform us regarding the contents (whether multiterm extract and phrasefinder are included or not)

[Değişiklik saati 2008-08-29 18:15]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which upgrade version should I choose?

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs