special characters
Thread poster: Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:01
English to German
+ ...
Aug 20, 2008

I have a problem that only started recently. I'm working with Trados 7 and have quite a large existing TM. The problem now is that all words containing special characters like é, ü, ä etc. are not displayed correctly. This causes problems with the concordance search: for example, when I look for "gérant" using the correct spelling, I won't find the word because in Trados it is displayed as gérants.

Does anyone know the reason for this problem and is there a solution for it?... See more
I have a problem that only started recently. I'm working with Trados 7 and have quite a large existing TM. The problem now is that all words containing special characters like é, ü, ä etc. are not displayed correctly. This causes problems with the concordance search: for example, when I look for "gérant" using the correct spelling, I won't find the word because in Trados it is displayed as gérants.

Does anyone know the reason for this problem and is there a solution for it?

Thanks in advance.
Collapse

Katarina Berger
Katarina Berger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
export - correction - import Aug 20, 2008

I've had the same problem with greek characters, e. g. alpha-olefins, and national German characters. I exported the file and corrected the characters using Word's search and replace. Than I reimported them into another TM (for teset purposes). Now I only get this problem now and then, not in nearly every document.

Hope that helps,

Nina Berger

Katarina Berger
Katarina Berger  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2008)
English to German
+ ...
export - correction - import Aug 20, 2008

I've had the same problem with greek characters, e. g. alpha-olefins, and national German characters. I exported the file and corrected the characters using Word's search and replace. Than I reimported the txt into another TM (for test purposes). Now I only get this problem now and then, not in nearly every document.

Hope that helps,

Nina Berger

Martina Amstutz
Martina Amstutz  Identity Verified
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Aug 20, 2008

Dear Nina,

Thanks for your suggestion. That's not quite an easy solution because it will take me some time to make all the necessary corrections, but it's better than having to work with all these strange displays.

Martina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

special characters

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »