Thread poster: Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:19
French to English
+ ...
Aug 20, 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a headache with Trados and was wondering if anyone could help....

I'm translating with the Trados Workbench in Word, and at one point in the text, when I press the set/close button to go to the next segment, the program just freezes, doesn't respond, then I have to close it down with ctrl/alt/delete. Then every time I get to the same place in the text, the same thing happens.

I can close the segments before I get to the pro
... See more
Hi everyone,

I'm having a bit of a headache with Trados and was wondering if anyone could help....

I'm translating with the Trados Workbench in Word, and at one point in the text, when I press the set/close button to go to the next segment, the program just freezes, doesn't respond, then I have to close it down with ctrl/alt/delete. Then every time I get to the same place in the text, the same thing happens.

I can close the segments before I get to the problematic bit and continue translating the rest of the document, but I don't know how to get round this one problem segment. Does anyone know a solution to this? Also, when it happens, the computer sometimes inserts a -{ }- symbol into the text.

I've tried un-installing and re-installing Trados, but this just made the problem worse, as I got constant error messages. I've also tried exporting the TM and using it on a fresh version of the Word document, but all to no avail. I'm using Trados 7.0 and Windows xp by the way.

Has anyone experienced this problem and knows how to fix it? Any suggestions would be gratefully received!!!
Thanks in advance,

Rose
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:19
English to German
+ ...
Word issue? Aug 20, 2008

Hi Rose,
Sounds like a Word issue - more specifically, an issue at that specific point in the Word file: is there something unusual (such as an embedded graphics object, an index entry, or a section break without a preceding end-of-paragraph marker)?

Since you mention curly brackets: does the same problem occur when you disable term recognition?

Best regards,
Ralf

Rose Jenkinson
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks, but no luck Aug 20, 2008

Thanks for your quick reply Ralf.

I had a look at the original word document and highlighted the hidden text, but the only "strange" thing I can see is a table inserted after the problematic segment. Mind you, there are other tables in the text and the bits around them seem to translate fine.

I tried messing with the term recognition, but it was already off in the first place. I've never had this problem before, it's quite strange. Maybe there is another way to work aro
... See more
Thanks for your quick reply Ralf.

I had a look at the original word document and highlighted the hidden text, but the only "strange" thing I can see is a table inserted after the problematic segment. Mind you, there are other tables in the text and the bits around them seem to translate fine.

I tried messing with the term recognition, but it was already off in the first place. I've never had this problem before, it's quite strange. Maybe there is another way to work around it.

Best regards
Rose
Collapse

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Swedish to English
+ ...
Things to try Aug 20, 2008

I had exactly this problem recently (and indeed on numerous occasions in the past). AFAIK, there is no simple solution. But there are things worth trying:

Have you used the "Fix Document" command under the Trados menu in Word? That may help.

The -{}- means that Trados has started running its macros in Word, but has hit some fatal error. As Ralf suggests, one known cause is corrupt data in MultiTerm (but not in your case).

I suggest you complete your tra
... See more
I had exactly this problem recently (and indeed on numerous occasions in the past). AFAIK, there is no simple solution. But there are things worth trying:

Have you used the "Fix Document" command under the Trados menu in Word? That may help.

The -{}- means that Trados has started running its macros in Word, but has hit some fatal error. As Ralf suggests, one known cause is corrupt data in MultiTerm (but not in your case).

I suggest you complete your translation (apart from the defective sentence), then copy that sentence to WordPad, create a very small RTF file and try to translate that in Word.

If that fails, copy the sentence to NotePad (which should eliminate all possible interfering elements), paste the clean sentence into Word.

If all that fails, I suggest you delete the sentence from Word, translate it manually and put it back into your document.
Collapse

Rose Jenkinson
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
success! Aug 20, 2008

Brilliant, thanks Peter!

I tried the notepad option and it worked a treat - such a simple solution! I'll remember that for next time. I hate it when clients ask me to use Trados - something always goes wrong...
Thanks again!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados not responding

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »