Problem opening certain segments in Word 2003 and translating with Multiterm
Thread poster: Mari Noller
Mari Noller
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:58
English to Norwegian
+ ...
Aug 21, 2008

I normally run SDL Trados Freelance 2007 SP2 on Windows Vista with Office 2007 and never really have any problems, but I'm on "holiday" and have to use my laptop with Windows XP, Office 2003 and still SDL Trados Freelance 2007.
The problem is that Trados refuses to open some of the segments. When I click open it just puts a "-{}-" into the text and I have to close both Word and Trados Workbench to get them to respond again. However, the segment can never be opened for translation. I have tried the "Fix document" function, but it doesn't even remove the "-{}-".

In certain files I can't open any segments at all so I have to use TagEditor where there are no problems, but then I can't clean them up.

I have searched the SDL website for help but can't find anything useful. I have tried to delete and copy in new Trados and Multiterm macro files (as the menus didn't show up at first). Other than that I haven't changed anything.

I also can't use the "Translate" function in Workbench even if I have Multiterm installed. It's been a while since I've had such a fresh installation so I'm not sure if I'm missing a setting somewhere? All I get is this "(null)" error message.
I have tried to use this function to put the translation into the Word file after I've had to use TagEditor.

I'm wondering if it's a formatting problem. That there is an extra line between different segments and this is causing the problem in Trados. But I can't really check through files with 20 000 words for extra spaces...

Any ideas or suggestions?

Direct link Reply with quote

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem opening certain segments in Word 2003 and translating with Multiterm

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs