Mobile menu

Table translation in Word with Workbench 8 skips cells
Thread poster: Jacques DP

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:28
Member (2003)
English to French
Aug 22, 2008

While translating tables in Word with SDL Trados 2007, cells are skipped (it's not just a matter of order, they are skipped altogether).

It so happens that:

- it is painful in my case (many files with large tables)
- I can't use Tageditor as a workaround (there is another problem that precludes using Tageditor on those files)

What is the current wisdom about this? Is it a known and accepted fact that version 8 of Trados still can't translate Word tables? (I saw in the archive that similar problems were noted years ago.)

Direct link Reply with quote

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Solve the TagEditor problem first? Aug 23, 2008

My approach would probably be to solve the problem with TagEditor. Can you describe why the files cannot be opened in TagEditor?

Sandra& Kenneth  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:28
Member (2009)
French to English
+ ...
Uncheck the Specify Height option Aug 25, 2008

Hi Jacques

Trados always skips numbers. The skipped cells may have contained numbers that you did not see, because the table properties for rows were set at a specified height.
Go to the Table menu/ Table Properties - select the Row tab and uncheck the Specify height box.
This should (hopefully) solve your problem.

Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to French
Thanks, but Aug 25, 2008

To Sangro:

Thanks, but this problem has nothing to do with skipping numbers. Trados skips cells that should be translated, and even entire columns.

The problem was raised in two years ago, and I was wondering if there was some news about it, or if the bug had traveled safely from one version to the next up to SDL Trados 2007, as it appears to be the case.

One workaround given in the thread above is to convert the table to text, and then convert it back to table after translation is over.

To Daniel Meier:

Thanks for offering your help, but on this occasion I was mostly interested in a potential answer to my question.

In any case, the job has been delivered by now.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Table translation in Word with Workbench 8 skips cells

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs