Thread poster: David Howard

David Howard  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:57
French to English
+ ...
Aug 23, 2008

Hello all,

I'm trying to save/create two new word files in Trados, but I always get told that they can't be processed as ttx files because they were saved as bilingual files.

Is there any way to resolve this? (Am new to Trados!)

Many thanks

David

Direct link Reply with quote

Lawyer-Linguist  Identity Verified
Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
I don't understand something .... Aug 23, 2008

Your profile says you are skilled in various translation disciplines, including Trados.

That squarely contradicts the statement in this thread that you are new to Trados.

Perhaps you'd care to clarify?

[Edited at 2008-08-23 15:47]

Peter Linton  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
Swedish to English
+ ...
... and mor info Aug 23, 2008

Please amplify your points - what s/w you are using, WB or TagEditor, which version, what exactly are you trying to do (save or create or both?). Are you trying to amend a TTX file in Word?

Daniel Meier  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:57
English to German
+ ...
You can´t open Word documents already containing TUs in TagEditor Aug 23, 2008

As far as I understand you are trying to open a Word document in TagEditor you already have started to translate in Word. This is not possible, as the document already contains at least one TU, so it is already bilingual.
You just have to open the original (monolingual) Word document in TagEditor.

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
New to Trados Aug 24, 2008

Lawyer-Linguist wrote:

Your profile says you are skilled in various translation disciplines, including Trados.

That squarely contradicts the statement in this thread that you are new to Trados.

Perhaps you'd care to clarify?

[Edited at 2008-08-23 15:47]

Dear Lawyer-Linguist,

Although I see your point, I do find it rather odd that you have enough time on your hands to trawl though people's profiles, pointing out errors, and with nothing positive to say!

I've been working with Trados for about 6 months (which still means I'm relatively new), and have used it successfuly so far and without any major hitches. I've also been on a university training course, and a short online course.

The files I'm trying to translate have not yet been translated, and the translator I'm working with has had no such problems with her files using TagEditor, it was, in fact, she that suggested I post on Proz.

I don't claim to be an expert, I was merely asking for guidance from more experienced users. If you have anything helpful to post, then I would greatly appreciate it.

David

[Edited at 2008-08-24 07:46]

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clearer explanation Aug 24, 2008

Thank you all for your posts.

Apologies for not being clearer in my message.

The file hadn't previously been translated (so should have been monolingual), and another translator working on the same project hadn't had any problems with it. I was trying to work out why it thought it was bilingual, and how I could change it. I have now resolved the problem.

Thanks again,
David

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Response Aug 24, 2008

David Howard wrote:

Dear Lawyer-Linguist,

Although I see your point, I do find it rather odd that you have enough time on your hands to trawl though people's profiles, pointing out errors, and with nothing positive to say!

Nothing odd at all actually.

This site is unfortunately littered with individuals overstating their abilities, who then run to the forums or to Kudoz posting questions that immediately reveal their true competence levels.

I've seen so many people masquerading here that now, when I answer somebody for the first time, I glance at their profiles to see who I'm dealing with, simple as that. In this case, I could not help but notice the glaring contradiction.

Instead of getting on the defensive - which in itself speaks volumes - how about just doing something constructive, i.e. toning down what is obviously an exaggerated claim in your profile and bringing it into line with reality?

And once you've done so, and FWIW, I would be more than happy to assist with any further issues you may have, within the scope of my own expertise, once I was sure you'd done the necessary to help yourself first (i.e. read the relevant part of the manual and performed a forum search).

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:57
English to German
+ ...
Back to topic, please... Aug 24, 2008

...thank you.

Ralf

United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Response Aug 24, 2008

Dear Laywer-Linguist

Thank you for your reply. I do apologise for reacting defensively, I now understand where you're coming from. I admit I've overstated my abilities (or over-estimated them) and will change my profile accordingly.

David

Portugal
Dutch to English
+ ...
Reads fine now ... Aug 24, 2008

... thanks for clearing it up.

Regards
Debs

Izabel Santos
Brazil
Local time: 17:57
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi David Aug 24, 2008

David Howard wrote:

Hello all,

I'm trying to save/create two new word files in Trados, but I always get told that they can't be processed as ttx files because they were saved as bilingual files.

Many thanks

David

Izabel Santos
Brazil
Local time: 17:57
Member (2004)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
I had the same problem. How did you solve it? Best regards, Izabel Aug 24, 2008

David Howard wrote:

Hello all,

Many thanks

David

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can't process bilingual files

Advanced search

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs