https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/113435-multiterm_error_217%3Anull.html

MultiTerm error (-217...):(null)
Thread poster: Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Local time: 10:20
French to English
+ ...
Aug 24, 2008

Hi, Everyone

I am new to this forum - I resisted TRADOS for a very long time, I use Deja Vu and love it. But I had to buy TRADOS to work with a client. Multiterm has never worked for me. Originally, I saw the toolbar for Multiterm in Word. But when I tried to click on the Term Base option, I received an error message (-217....):(null) or something like that. I tried to clear all of the old files from my file. I even deleted Multiterm from my computer and re-installed it. Now I recei
... See more
Hi, Everyone

I am new to this forum - I resisted TRADOS for a very long time, I use Deja Vu and love it. But I had to buy TRADOS to work with a client. Multiterm has never worked for me. Originally, I saw the toolbar for Multiterm in Word. But when I tried to click on the Term Base option, I received an error message (-217....):(null) or something like that. I tried to clear all of the old files from my file. I even deleted Multiterm from my computer and re-installed it. Now I received a fatal error when I open Word. So I had to disable Multiterm. I don't want to have just purchased a program that is non-functional. Any ideas? When I try to re-enable Multiterm, Word just simply does not work... I am assuming, however, that my client will be sending my term bases... Thanks in advance for your help!

Gabrielle

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-25 06:20]
Collapse

Optiproz Pri (X)
Optiproz Pri (X)
Local time: 17:20
English
Hi Aug 25, 2008

Hi Gabrielle

Check the SDL KB article:
http://talisma.sdl.com/article.aspx?article=1315&p=1

That should resolve your issue.

Cheers

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Common problems... Aug 25, 2008

Gabrielle Parnes wrote:

I am new to this forum - I resisted TRADOS for a very long time, I use Deja Vu and love it.

You're not the ony one

But I had to buy TRADOS to work with a client.

In fact, I do 90% of my jobs in DVX.
I use Trados almost only for the pre- and postprocessing (QA, etc).
It's a great auxiliary tool

Multiterm has never worked for me.

I think MT is the most infected part ot the Trados pack.
The installation may be easily corrupted out of the box.

Originally, I saw the toolbar for Multiterm in Word. But when I tried to click on the Term Base option, I received an error message (-217....):(null) or something like that. I tried to clear all of the old files from my file. I even deleted Multiterm from my computer and re-installed it. Now I received a fatal error when I open Word. So I had to disable Multiterm. I don't want to have just purchased a program that is non-functional. Any ideas? When I try to re-enable Multiterm, Word just simply does not work... I am assuming, however, that my client will be sending my term bases... >[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-08-25 06:20]

If Word crashes, you should:
1) delete the multiterm7dot.xml file somewhere in your profile (don't worry, it will be replaced when you run Word next time).
2) replace the multiterm7.dot invoked by Word by the original file shipped with MT (take a look in the Program Files), sometimes the file gets corrupted for an unknown reason.

If it doesn't work, see my response related to another MT problem.
It may help.

http://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/112955-i_am_new_bought_trados_freelance_multiterm_extract_etc_but_does_not_work.html

If it still doesn't work, you should sacrifice some black goat, it may be very hard to diagnose...

Cheers
GG

Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Multiterm error (-217...):(null) Still Doesn't work but thanks Aug 25, 2008

Thank you Grzegorz

I tried everything and think at this point, I will just go with sacrificing the goat! It's a shame that they sell a product that from the start does not work, but I've checked with my client and it seems that they rarely require the use of MultiTerm.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be resigned to knowing that a product I purchased is utterly flawed. At this point, I think I need to put this aside, since I've l
... See more
Thank you Grzegorz

I tried everything and think at this point, I will just go with sacrificing the goat! It's a shame that they sell a product that from the start does not work, but I've checked with my client and it seems that they rarely require the use of MultiTerm.

If anyone has any brilliant ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be resigned to knowing that a product I purchased is utterly flawed. At this point, I think I need to put this aside, since I've lost too many hours trying to figure this one out.

Thanks to everyone for all your help!
Collapse

Grzegorz Gryc
Grzegorz Gryc  Identity Verified
French to Polish
+ ...
Digging in... Aug 25, 2008

Gabrielle Parnes wrote:

I tried everything and think at this point, I will just go with sacrificing the goat! It's a shame that they sell a product that from the start does not work,

Generally it works when you install it on a fresh system
But if you need some special software (in my case, a complete set ot .Net Frameworks for Passolo) or you have a very special configuration, it may be a bloody mess 'cause the more complex (i.e non standard) installation paths are not tested in SDL, I suppose.

E.g. if your .Net Framework 2 is patched before you install Trados/MT, the installation may be unusable (you should uninstall Trados/MT and .Net 2, disable the automatic updates in Windows, restart, install the unpatched .Net provided with Trados/MT, then reinstall MT/Trados...).
If you have MS Office Professional (i.e. Access), it may be some problems with the MS Jet configuration (very, very difficult to solve...).
The Java version is a well known problem.

As you see, the Multiterm-Trados combo is rather vulnerable and not very predictible but if you take in account the .Net and Java caveats, it should work... I hope...

but I've checked with my client and it seems that they rarely require the use of MultiTerm.

If the TMs aren't protected, the CAT hopping works as a charm for DVX

If anyone has any brilliant ideas, please let me know. Otherwise, I will be resigned to knowing that a product I purchased is utterly flawed. At this point, I think I need to put this aside, since I've lost too many hours trying to figure this one out.

Yep.
DVX simply works

Can you give us a more detailed description of your system (e.g. Windows and Office version)?

Cheers
GG

Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
Gabrielle Parnes Garcia
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Please don't worry about this... Aug 26, 2008

Thanks so much GG

I have a really basic system. I don't think I have any special software installed... I'm using Windows XP and Office 2003. Don't worry about spending too much time on this... I may be getting some support from TRADOS...

Thanks again!
GP

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

MultiTerm error (-217...):(null)

Translation news related to SDL Trados

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »