Mobile menu

Problem with conversion of Greek text with S-Tagger 8.0.1
Thread poster: Lorenzo Cordini
Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 09:20
English
Aug 25, 2008

Hello everyone,

I am having a serious problem with the conversion of Greek STF back to MIF.

I converted a group of MIF files ( # Generated by FrameMaker 7.2p158) using SDL Trados 2007 (S-Tagger version 8.0.1 Build 834). The language pair was selected correctly (English > Greek)

The RTF documents have been now translated to Greek. I have verified tags and everything is correct.
I have successfully converted the RTF documents back to MIF BUT now the text does not show up correctly in the converted MIF files. Applying a Greek font does not help as the encoding seems to be completely incorrect.

I have taken a look at the RTF documents and compared them with other files which had been converted using a previous version of S-Tagger (and which converted OK) and I have noticed that the headers are different.

The old files have "sft5.60" while the new ones have "stf8.00" (I guess this refers to the S-Tagger version). The new files have an extra line that reads "codepage 1252".

I have tried to edit these header entries manually changing "stf8.00" to "stf5.60" and removing the codepage data in both source and target RTF but this did not help.

Does anyone please know a way out of this situation? Is there a way to convert these files safely back to MIF 7.00 with text that shows the correct Greek character once the appropiate font is applied?

Thank you,

Lorenzo


Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 09:20
English
TOPIC STARTER
Solution found Aug 26, 2008

Hello again,

I have eventually fixed the problem by installing the "cumulative hotfix for s-tagger for FrameMaker.

More details can be found at http://talisma.sdl.com/display/2/articleDirect/index.aspx?aid=2072&r=0.7794712

Lorenzo


Direct link Reply with quote
 

Wojciech Froelich  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 09:20
English to Polish
Are you sure about this Greek font? Aug 26, 2008

Are you sure about this Greek font? Have you tried simple Arial Greek?

Direct link Reply with quote
 
Lorenzo Cordini
Local time: 09:20
English
TOPIC STARTER
hotfix Sep 19, 2008

Hello Wojciech,

Yes, I had tried to apply Arial Greek to the text but to no avail.
The hotfix really put things back in order but I had to do the conversion all over again and pre-translate using the TM.


Direct link Reply with quote
 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with conversion of Greek text with S-Tagger 8.0.1

Advanced search


Translation news related to SDL Trados





memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »



All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs