Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Aug 25, 2008

Is it possible to edit trados-memories directly or should I export to txt, edit in text-editor and re-import?
Thanks for your help.
Heinrich

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 01:38
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
There is the maintenance option in Workbench Aug 25, 2008

Good evening Heinrich,

In the first menu (the file menu) there is the option "maintenance". If you click on that and then, on the next screen, put "99" (for example) in the top box and click on "Begin search", you see all the translation units listed. You can click on any of them and open them to edit them.

Best regards,

Astrid

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
Olifant could be a good choice, and it is free Aug 25, 2008

It will allow you to edit TMs in the following formats:

. WordFast
. TMX
. TRADOS (.txt)

and not only for the TUs text, but also for the atttibutes.

Besides you can convert from one format to another, swap source and target languages, supress in-line codes (¡as those pesky "rogue codes " DejaVu works with!), flag entries for in-block deletion, etc.

Quite a difference from the TWB maintenance features.....

You can dow
... See more
It will allow you to edit TMs in the following formats:

. WordFast
. TMX
. TRADOS (.txt)

and not only for the TUs text, but also for the atttibutes.

Besides you can convert from one format to another, swap source and target languages, supress in-line codes (¡as those pesky "rogue codes " DejaVu works with!), flag entries for in-block deletion, etc.

Quite a difference from the TWB maintenance features.....

You can download it from here: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Saludos
Collapse

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 01:38
German to Spanish
Dangerous Aug 25, 2008

Jorge Payan wrote:

You can download it from here: http://www.translate.com/technology/tools/Olifant.html

Saludos

I have work with it for a few years and, it was a little tricky and dangerous, and some esencial functions are not implemented (I don't remeber what, but It was not a real help for my "cleaning action" in a TMX) so I prefer to work direct in a Texteditor (Ultraedit). And I see it is no more updated since 2005, so...

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 18:38
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
I am also concious about of the risks... Aug 26, 2008

I also have worked with Olifant for several years.

According to what I have perceived when using Olifant, I always take some elementary precautions for the sake of compatibility:

-Exporting from TRADOS to Olifant in "Translator's Workbench 2.x-6.x (*.txt)" format and not in "Translator's Workbench 7.x (*.txt)" formats, as some problems have been reported when Olifant handles 7.x TM text exports.
-Alternatively, exporting from TRADOS to Olifant could be in T
... See more
I also have worked with Olifant for several years.

According to what I have perceived when using Olifant, I always take some elementary precautions for the sake of compatibility:

-Exporting from TRADOS to Olifant in "Translator's Workbench 2.x-6.x (*.txt)" format and not in "Translator's Workbench 7.x (*.txt)" formats, as some problems have been reported when Olifant handles 7.x TM text exports.
-Alternatively, exporting from TRADOS to Olifant could be in TMX, but in that case I use 1.1 format exclusively
-When creating or using TMX TMs to be converted to TRADOS, they should be UTF-16 in order to avoid problems upon transferring entities.

I spend my time "juggling" TMs between WF, TRADOS and DVX and I haven´t had any problem whatsoever.

BTW, I am using version 0.2 build 15, but the latest version (4.6.2008) can be downloaded from http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=42949&package_id=165973

Saludos muchos
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 02:38
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Did it in txt-format Aug 26, 2008

This Maintenance-function seems slow, I had 20000 entries in the tm. But I exported to txt and did the changes in a text-editor. There were only about 10 changes, but on Import Wordbench updated 592 records. I wonder what kind of mess I find when I use this tm the next time. Well, I have a copy of the old tm.
Thanks!
Heinrich

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I edit tmw-memories?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »